PDA

View Full Version : good pool books and videos

bluewolf
08-14-2002, 07:08 AM
so far i have the following (some are whitewolf')

99 critical shots of pool
pool for dummys by ava lawrence
play your best pool
play your best 9-ball
a mind for pool
patricks video on position
a pool encyclopedia (ordered)

i want books and videos which someone like me can understand but also has some hard shots too so as i get better, it will still be useful

any ideas

bluewolf

9 Ball Girl
08-14-2002, 08:04 AM
How about Play Your Best Straight Pool by Phil Capelle. This one is IMO the best he's written.

Wendy~~Phil Capelle fan /ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif

griffith_d
08-14-2002, 11:52 AM
I bought Jimmy Reid's "No time for Negative II" and Fast Eddie Parker's video. Both were good. Fast Eddie's was a little long and he blinked and moved is mouth constantly like he was on cocaine, but very good instruction.

Jimmy's was a little short,...so you will buy more.

Griff

griffith_d
08-14-2002, 11:53 AM
PS

What is your most useful one?

Griff

Tom_In_Cincy
08-14-2002, 04:26 PM
Ms. Bluewolf,

Two books that I guarantee you will like are:

"Golf is not a game of Perfect" by psycologist Dr. Bob Rotella, a great book about finding the 'zone', practicing and the mental side of competition. Lots of good golf stories.

and

"The Inner Game of Tennis" by W. Timothy Gallwey, great book on how the brain, sports, body and competition all interact together.

socrates
08-14-2002, 06:35 PM
Since I started playing again in 1990 I have built a pretty big library of books. A couple I did not see on your list that I would recommend are:

George Fels - Mastering Pool (This I have only seen available on occaision at Mueller Sports)
Byrnes - Standard Book of Pool and Billiards.
George Fels - How Would you Play This
George Fels - A Smarter Way to Learn Pool
George Kohlers- The Science of Pocket Billiards.
? & Kanov's - Precision Pool.

The next one of course I am not with out bias but that would be the book I just published.
Black Belt Billiards
A Book of Shots,Drills, Patterns, Opinions, Katas and Koans
To Improve Your Game

A Link is on my CCB profile if you are interested or just email mail if you would like additional information.

socrates
08-14-2002, 06:40 PM
Tom a couple others you might enjoy would be:

Bob Fanchers - The Pleasures of Small Motions
Michael Murphys - Golf in the Kingdom
James E. Loehr - Mental Toughness Training for Sports
Drs. Wren & Koop - The New Golf Mind (A great book for visualization)

nmshooter
08-15-2002, 03:50 AM
You purchased patrick's video on position play? Well?? Tell us about it. I am sure we are all interested to hear about his skills as a teacher.

CarolNYC
08-15-2002, 04:07 AM
Jim Rempes "How to run 100 balls!"
Carol~also 'Accustsat tapes'

bluewolf
08-15-2002, 06:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nmshooter:</font><hr> You purchased patrick's video on position play? Well?? Tell us about it. I am sure we are all interested to hear about his skills as a teacher. <hr></blockquote>

I like it. It was like a slideshow. He would show 4 pictures of a situation trying to pocket the ball and trying for position on the next ball. He had lines showing where the cb would go, ie which rail(s) it would bounce off of etc. for each posible shot,he explained why it wasnt the best one and explained why the chosen shot was the best one and about margin of error and ball speed. he touched a little on english too.also, i could back up and watch the same slide again. i liked the way he explained the why's and showed the shot with the greatest margin or error. the shots were well done and clear. the explanations were easily understood.

it got me seeing another aspect of position play. i was playing some position play but had never considered margin of error

bluewolf

nmshooter
08-15-2002, 06:41 AM
Just curious but was this done on a real pool table or in the virtual pool 3 game.

bluewolf
08-15-2002, 06:48 AM
i like your book on black belt billiards.

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-15-2002, 06:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nmshooter:</font><hr> Just curious but was this done on a real pool table or in the virtual pool 3 game. <hr></blockquote>

patrick would have to answer that one. it was a pool table and i have never seen vp3, but it doesnt matter to me as long as i learned something from it.

bluewolf

nmshooter
08-15-2002, 06:57 AM
The reason I was curious and this might be of benefit to you on your decision to purchase the game but in the game while playing offline you can press T and lines will appear showing the same things you describe. There is a line showing where the cue ball will go after contact with the object ball as well as lines showing where the object ball will go after the hit. The game can be a useful learning tool but in my opinion no book or video or game will ever replace what you can learn thru practice although they all can help you to understand what you can learn.

bluewolf
08-15-2002, 07:04 AM
i like them all(most) for different reasons. right after watching patricks video i went to the pool hall and in the 'zone' shot the best position i have ever shot..

i read in 'play your best pool'about aiming on the way to the pool hall last night. i did better on cut shots then i have ever done.

eva lawrences book is especially good for someone just starting in pool down to the stance, buying a cue etc.

whitewolf told me i had a 'google' stance. i looked at the stances in play your best pool and it was pictured as one of the three acceptable stances.

99 critical shots of pool i like because it shows all kinds of shots and how to make them. but it isnt the kind of book you read. it is the kind of book that sits beside your pool table while you practice.

the book a mind for pool, i probably liked least.it was too simple and did not tell me anything i did not already know.

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-15-2002, 07:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nmshooter:</font><hr> The reason I was curious and this might be of benefit to you on your decision to purchase the game but in the game while playing offline you can press T and lines will appear showing the same things you describe. There is a line showing where the cue ball will go after contact with the object ball as well as lines showing where the object ball will go after the hit. The game can be a useful learning tool but in my opinion no book or video or game will ever replace what you can learn thru practice although they all can help you to understand what you can learn. <hr></blockquote>

i know what you are saying. but to quote a karate instructor 'practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect' the first things i learned (before even caring if the balls went in) were a near perfect stroke, stance and correct eye movements, also keeping my head down. last night i found out, in my preferred stance which puts me very low on the ball, my head does not come up until after the cb hits the ob.so if there is even a slight thing wrong with those fundamentals, which causes me to miss a shot or it goes in but isnt clean, i know why. if i did not have those fundamentals i would be missing balls without knowing why and forming bad habits.

i learn by concept rather than by repetition. so all i need is the concept, then i can go to the pool hall and duplicate at a fair level what i have been shown.

for me the concept is first (the mental part) then the execution. i know from asking questions how the balls spin,what kind of shots to put what kind of english on and am learning more about that, position, ball speed. if you set up hard cut shots, one on the rail, one on the green, i will get in the one on the rail and i know why. i have learned how to screen out what is going on around the table but i miss the green shot because i need to perfect my focus so that i am not distracted by the green.

i am feeling good about my progresss but realistic about my skill level and know that i have a long way to go.

within my grasp:90% easy to medium short cut shots, easy kick shots, 90% long straight shots and long easy cut shots.

the next step is harder cut shots , bank shots and better position play. i also need to work for more consistency on what i can do. i think when i am inconsistent, it is a focus problem.i am right brained.right brained people learn best by concept but have a harder time focussing than left brain people. so this is just a hurdle i have to overcome as i strive to conquer my weaknesses.

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-15-2002, 07:33 AM
thanks to everybody for your suggestions. this forum has kept me motivated. i play as much pool as i can and practice things people suggest here and ideas from videos and books.

my goals:

to be better by the ccb tournament which gives me a month and a half to practice.

to be a good pool player in a year (not the best, just playing a game i can feel good about)

bluewolf

John in NH
08-15-2002, 12:46 PM
Hi Bluewolf,

Over the years I have collected several books and videos and none can compare to a video that I recently purchased called NO TIME FOR NEGATIVE - By Jimmy Reid - this is a two video set:

1. NO TIME FOR NEGATIVE COMPLETE SERIES
VOLUME I, II, III.

2. THE ART OF 8 BALL

You can preview samples of Jimmy Reid's work at www.FREEPOOLLESSONS.COM (http://www.FREEPOOLLESSONS.COM)

See you at the CCB pool tournament.

Regards,

John

Mike H
08-15-2002, 03:28 PM
I like both Jim Rempe straight pool videos, How to Run a Rack and How to Run 100 balls. Grady Mathews's Only Kicks video has lots of interesting, useful stuff on it, and any Bert Kinister video you pick up (there's 44 of them) has at least one very useful tidbit of info you'll use regularly. Good books: The Pro Book by Bob Henning, Play Your Best Straight Pool by Phil Capelle, and Racking Secrets by Joe Tucker.

PQQLK9
08-15-2002, 06:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: John in NH:</font><hr>

Over the years I have collected several books and videos and none can compare to a video that I recently purchased called NO TIME FOR NEGATIVE - By Jimmy Reid - this is a two video set:
<hr></blockquote>

ditto

bluewolf
08-15-2002, 08:26 PM
thanks to everyone again. now i have quite a list?

bluewolf

Patrick
08-16-2002, 02:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nmshooter:</font><hr> Just curious but was this done on a real pool table or in the virtual pool 3 game. <hr></blockquote>It was done in Virtual pool 3, if this would have been done in real pool, making the lines would not have been accurate, and the video would have cost a lot more.

Patrick

phil in sofla
08-16-2002, 12:23 PM
An excellent book not given enough mention whenever these things get listed out, from the fairly unique standpoint of emphasizing an aiming system is Chen's 'Billiard Accuracy,' or 'Accuracy in Billiards,' something like that.

He explains in very great detail what he calls the 'two point' system of aiming, and then shows the rest of the shots and game play using that aiming system.

Very valuable, if you're open to considering that method of aiming (or any method, other than simply 'seeing' the line from experience). It is geometrically exactly correct, assuming no squirt or throw considerations have to be factored in, or if they do, it provides the reference aim line from which to make those adjustments.

I have all the others mentioned in this thread, and some are far more encyclopedic on all the varying things to know than Chen's is. However, none out of the maybe 3 or 4 dozen I have deal so specifically with the aiming issue, and how it applies to all shot making.

SPetty
08-16-2002, 12:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: phil in sofla:</font><hr> An excellent book not given enough mention whenever these things get listed out, from the fairly unique standpoint of emphasizing an aiming system is Chen's 'Billiard Accuracy,' or 'Accuracy in Billiards,' something like that.<hr></blockquote>Hi Phil,

Where can that book be purchased? It's probably not given enough mention because no one other than you has it! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I can't find it on-line at any bookstore, nor can I find any mention of it anywhere on-line except here... By you...

phil in sofla
08-16-2002, 04:13 PM
Well, I've had it a while, maybe 2 years now, and I don't recall where I got it originally.

I'm thinking my local Barnes and Noble (although they're not currently stocking it-- I always browse that section of any book store I go into), but it could have been from an on-line or mail order source like billiardfanatic, one of the companies that offers all manner of pool related materials.

Hey, bingo! Pulled the 2001 catalogue from billiardfanatic.com, and there it is. Billiards Accuracy by Marvin Chin, item 0110-0750, list $28, $22 through them, 800-910-4437.

Cannot verify it is still available, and not out of print or out of stock, but maybe just the misspell on his name by one letter ('Vahna, I'll buy a vowel'), prevented its coming up.

Note, unless you are willing to work with his aiming system, possibly very different from what you're used to, this book will not have much value to you.

Maybe the reason it was hard to find was my error on his name.

PQQLK9
08-16-2002, 04:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: phil in sofla:</font><hr>
Hey, bingo! Pulled the 2001 catalogue from billiardfanatic.com, and there it is. Billiards Accuracy by Marvin Chin, item 0110-0750, list $28, $22 through them, 800-910-4437.
<hr></blockquote>

I just received their latest catalog and the above info is correct...