PDA

View Full Version : Gayle going back to the other day

wolfdancer
11-09-2009, 04:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Of course, she has had other instructors, some of whom are very good friends and associates of mine, give her lessons.</div></div>
Did you, or did you not? Or was this jes another "let's run this up the flagpole and see if someone will salute it" post, from one of the big three, here: "We knows most evrythin"

Gayle in MD
11-10-2009, 09:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Of course, she has had other instructors, some of whom are very good friends and associates of mine, give her lessons.</div></div>
Did you, or did you not? Or was this jes another "let's run this up the flagpole and see if someone will salute it" post, from one of the big three, here: "We knows most evrythin" </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">I have never paid for a pool lesson. As usual, he's lying....and IMO, anyone who would shell out six to eight hundred dollars for three days of listening to a group of non pro wannabes, is nuts!

If I ever pay for a pool lesson, it will be from a practicing pro, who is winning. As far as I know, that does not fit the description of any of the so called "instructors" who frequent this site...but I've learned that some of these self agrandizing "instructors" around here think that if someone even TALKS about pool with them, on the telephone yet, that qualifies as they have "Worked" with you on your game, I had one of them pull that one some time back over on the other side of the forum... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

It's not the first time he's tried to suggest that he has had contact with people I know, and then made false insinuations. But then, what could we expect from him...clearly, he refuses to own up to things he has written on here himself, like, "Debts don't matter" which he wrote while HIS PARTY was running them up like gang busters!!!!and when someone quotes the worst of the worst from him, one of his many sexist statements, trying to drive him away from stalking me on here, by reminding others of his sexist views, he goes running to the administrator, "Wha Wha Wha...she's trying to ruin my business."

Then STAY THE F. AWAY FROM ME. A.H.!

Addiction is a terrible thing....I'm a meek person, and really, I hate having all this unsought power over the little Wonkie Weenies of the world.</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

pooltchr
11-10-2009, 10:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> [color:#000066]I have never paid for a pool lesson. As usual, he's lying....and IMO, anyone who would shell out six to eight hundred dollars for three days of listening to a group of non pro wannabes, is nuts!

If I ever pay for a pool lesson, it will be from a practicing pro, who is winning. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>

And that just shows you ignorant and egotistical you are. I have had world champions (and no, I will not mention names, but you have seen them on tv recently) come to me for help. I know a couple of others who have gone to other "so called" instructors I work with. I just got a note yesterday from another one who lives up north who was trying to find a way to get together to work on a problem they were having before a big tournament coming up.

So if the top pros and world champions see value in working with a professional instructor, your opinion is not really important.

Some people want to learn and improve. Others feed their ego by refusing help so they can brag about how they did it all on their own.

Steve

Gayle in MD
11-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Forgot to mention, other than Karen, I wouldn't mind getting a lesson from Tony Robles, in fact, I'm talking with a cousin's husband right now, who is really into pool, about a trip to NY to do just that.

Tony meets my conditions for paying for a pool lesson. He is a pro, he's at the top of his game, and regularly in the winners circle, and excellent instructor who has worked with some of my friends and they then showed great improvment.....PLUS And this is probably the most important element in getting lessons, I LIKE HIM! AND, he is not overbearing and rude, but kind and thoughtful! He is a FINE PERSON, who likes women! Would I ever pay a sexist any money? HELL NO! Would I ever attend a pool school which was involved with sexist men? NO!

Tony Robles meets all of my requirements. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif True as well of Keren Corr, and Julie Kelly each fit all of my requirements, very humble and down to earth gals....both of them pros, and both of them very good teachers, as I have known their students, and Tony's.

When it comes to learning, liking your teacher and respecting their own professional performance, and their integrity, is paramount, IMO. Hence, anti-choice, judgemental, pompus, arrogant sexists are out of the question!
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
G.

wolfdancer
11-10-2009, 12:17 PM
It seems like Gayle wants to take lessons from a "playing pro". rather then a "teaching pro". I've had a lesson or two, from a
"player" and I'd now rather go to a teacher with a good rep. from his students. I'd also have to respect the teacher,hopefully like them enough to "connect"....but believe that it would be my job to begin the lesson with an open mind, and their job to find the best way to communicate with me. In grade school the nuns used the simple method of a pointer to the side of my head....that got my attention quick!
I also think....just my opinion... that for a one on one lesson, a good female pro/instructor might be a better fit for a female student. Guys are into competitive sports from day one, and learn by imitating...baseball,etc
Woman, as a rule, get involved later on, and I believe, internalize "how to" differently, and would therefore, knowing how they learned, know better how to get inside their students head.
Getting back to Gayle...since she has never met you, but obviously dislikes you, strongly....I don't see how whatever she writes here, (and she does write some good tings about taking lessons from women players...so that negates your "learning on her own" theory)
how ... that can affect you own rep. as a teacher...and after reading your report, seems like you already have a strong following and therefore, a good rep as an instructor.
I could never take a lesson from you, because like Gayle, I don't like you. On the other hand, dumb as you claim I am, you wouldn't accept me as a student.

Gayle in MD
11-10-2009, 12:40 PM
LOL, I've said all along that one lesson with a good instructor, is a good idea, when one is learning, just to get your stroke, and some basics.

I gave rave reviews on here after my first encounter with Scott...it wasn't a lesson I paid him for, however, since he wouldn't allow it.

I have sent loads of newbies to Scott, lol, which I'm sure he would validate.

Scott and I are friends, and believe me, he wouldn't appreciate Steve telling lies and insinuating that Scott would say anything bad about me, or has ever said anything bad about me, or my shooting skills, Scott wouldn't, and he's not going to appreciate Steve trying to use our friendship, to slander me.

Hence, Steve is just lying, sinking ever lower than he's already sunk here, time and time again...("when w woman...." we all know what he is) pretending to have something on me, and spreading around rumors about me, as usual.

He's tried this sort of thing before, remember?

I'm more of a believer in coaching, from a former champion, or current champion.

And also think that standing around in a room of full of pool tables, for three days, listening to some speal I've already heard a thousand times, or read about a thousand times, which is really no more than Hal's aiming system, which he has explained to me in detail, years ago...is highway robery!

If one is interested in learning to be a good pool shooter, I say, go all out! Go to the very best in the country! Get a lesson with Alison, or Karen, or Tony, and find yourself a professional coach.

AND, if you expect to ever shoot real well, get a table, and practice, practice, practice, and study the pros, how they stand, aim, shoot, when they miss, and why they miss.

Videos are invaluable, IMO...

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Once we study enough pros, and really consistantly study them, we realize very quickly, there is no one way to stroke a cue ball, no one size fits all, and that goes for every aspect of pool...

Everyone is built differently, feels balanced in a different stance, comfortable for different body types, aiming styles, particular to their own vision ideosynchrocies, and which are particular to them.

There is nothing more stupid than thinkiing that anything but consistant, dedicated practice, is going to bring your game up, the only thing more unrealistic than that is thinking that buying a new cue, is going to do it.

Just my 2C..I'm not into snake oil. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

wolfdancer
11-10-2009, 01:25 PM
We are fortunate now to have all these teaching aids...videos, books, matches online, on tv.and certified instructors!!...that wasn't so when I took up the game, in the last century. The twice a years pro matches in Reno, and 3 or 4 big events in Sacramento were my "see how the pros do it" intro, and the first good book Was Robert Byrne's first book on the sport.
And the advice back then was a takeoff on the old saying:
"How do you get to Carnegie Hall?.....Practice, practice, practice"
That still holds true, but a good instructor can help you to stop
"practicing your mistakes".
I didn't know that you hit it off so well with Scott, but he's definitely a personable guy.
I took a lesson from him and we didn't "connect", but I wasn't really ready to take lessons at the time, and wouldn't have paid the money for pool lessons if I was. A friend of mine had retired, discovered the game and couldn't get enough of it.
I had heard of Scott, set up the lesson and my friend wanted me to join him. I even think he may have paid for it...so, not sure I was really into it at the time.
I've paid for a series of golf lessons over the space of just a few days, and think that was the wrong way to learn, at least for me.
It works now, for the 4 day pool schools, because they aren't claiming to take a C player and turn them into an A player in just 3 days, but with the written materials that you get to take home, and the lectures and demonstrations that you see and hear at the school, you now have the tools to practice and progress.
gee, I'm beginning to sound like a shill for the schools, when truth be told....I wouldn't go to a school that would accept me as a student. And this old brain, is already overloaded and ain't no room left to learn anything....

Gayle in MD
11-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Yep, I love the byrnes videos, and watch them still.

Joe Tucker's Drill Book is all anyone needs in order to be a well rounded player, that's after one good basic lesson! $9.99 a few years back, and practicing with it on your own table will give you anything and everything you need to know about banks, CB leave, kicks, the diamond system, and delveloping your game.

One big weakness I see for people is that they don't practice safties. Big mistake!

Second is that they shoot too fast, (or too hard) without the pause, at the last back stroke, like alison shoots.

Let's face it, like anything else, experience is the best teacher, and you can't get that from a lesson. Know thyself, funny, but that is so true about shooting and winning. So many times people take risky shots, instead of paying safety. Then they lose.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

wolfdancer
11-10-2009, 04:01 PM
I think Joe would be a great instructor. He has now taken up golf recently, and is on his way to becoming a golf nut...lol.
Jimmy Reid has some really good stuff, especially his banking and kicking systems that he developed, and has on a DVD series.
I had them, but like the pro DVDs, lent them out and ....ain't seen them since
I got into this one stroke habit, from watching an excellent player, who was out here for awhile, but has his roots in my old home town. He was originally a straight pool player, and I think 9-ball is too easy for him. He showed me some awesome stroke shots that he uses for position, that I don't have in my "bag"
Anyway, one stoke, no pause....they wouldn't even let me in a pool school /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
I've seen Allison play up close and personal....just a neat partner's match for dinner and drinks. What a nice lady she is to talk to, and I'm always pulling for her, or Gerda to win, when I catch a match on TV.
Allison's mechanics are flawless, imo...a role model for anybody
to copy

Gayle in MD
11-10-2009, 05:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Joe would be a great instructor. He has now taken up golf recently, and is on his way to becoming a golf nut...lol.
Jimmy Reid has some really good stuff, especially his banking and kicking systems that he developed, and has on a DVD series.
I had them, but like the pro DVDs, lent them out and ....ain't seen them since
I got into this one stroke habit, from watching an excellent player, who was out here for awhile, but has his roots in my old home town. He was originally a straight pool player, and I think 9-ball is too easy for him. He showed me some awesome stroke shots that he uses for position, that I don't have in my "bag"
Anyway, one stoke, no pause....they wouldn't even let me in a pool school /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
I've seen Allison play up close and personal....just a neat partner's match for dinner and drinks. What a nice lady she is to talk to, and I'm always pulling for her, or Gerda to win, when I catch a match on TV.
Allison's mechanics are flawless, imo...a role model for anybody
to copy </div></div>

Absolutely! I have always admired her as a person, and as a pro, just as I do Karen, Gerda, and Julie.

If the Black Widow is narrating the match, I turn the sound off.

I don't like the way she talks about the players who are still competing, like she has all the answers, while her ass is sitting in the chair!

Atleast we don't have to listen to all those "I love you Goerge" anymore, but then, she isn't ever accpeting the trophy anymore anyway!

wolfdancer
11-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Jeannette used to work at Chalkers in Emoryville, in the Bay area.
I thought she was standoffish, so never warmed up to her. Later on realized she was trying hard to perfect her game and didn't need the constant unwanted "lessons", interruptions, from everybody that thought they knew more about the game then she did. She was extremely dedicated to learning, improving, and given her scoliosis problems,I admired her. I do think her delivery style as a commentator, approach's that of Grady Matthews....but she does know the game.
Sounds like you are saying she broke up with George? Sorry to hear that. George will always be a hero to our reg group at the old pool room.
We had this loud mouthed bore, probably a Republican, that jes thought he was the world's greatest, and knew everything about the game, and always commented negatively about the games of others, strangers even, on nearly tables.
So George comes in dressed like an innocent college boy, and this guy sees a chance to make a quick buck as he didn't recognize him, even offers him a spot after watching him practice...in reality, trolling for suckers, and this guy took the bait, hook, line and sinker.
So the buzz goes around the room and everybody is afraid to watch too closely, because we are all "giggling" like schoolkids that notice that the teacher forgot to zip his fly up, and he's the only one not in on the joke....and we don't want to lose it and laugh out loud.
Finally the bore knowing that this is a money match which usually draws a small crowd, looks around,sees the smirks and finally realizes he ain''t the one that suckered the other guy into the match. They had already abandoned the "spot" by this time. He quit, called us all "out", left the room and stayed away for a couple of months.

pooltchr
11-10-2009, 10:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL,

I gave rave reviews on here after my first encounter with Scott...it wasn't a lesson I paid him for, however, since he wouldn't allow it.

I have sent loads of newbies to Scott, lol, which I'm sure he would validate.

Scott and I are friends, and believe me, he wouldn't appreciate Steve telling lies and insinuating that Scott would say anything bad about me, or has ever said anything bad about me, or my shooting skills, Scott wouldn't, and he's not going to appreciate Steve trying to use our friendship, to slander me.

Hence, Steve is just lying, </div></div>

You are delusional. Nowhere in any post I have ever made have I ever said, or even suggested that anyone said anything negative about your pool skills. Nowhere have I even mentioned by name, Scott or anyone else in the same paragraph with you.

So it would appear that you are the one who is lying...just like always!

If you even dare to challenge this, you better find the link to a specific post where I ever indicated that anyone else said anything negative about you.

Steve

Gayle in MD
11-11-2009, 09:57 AM
No, I didn't mean that I had heard anything about their marriage, just that because she is never in the winners circle anymore, we don't have to hear that BS.

I just don't like the comments she makes about the other women, who are shooting in the finals... it's like, gee Jeanette, since you think they are doing so poorly, how come you're in the chair!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

wolfdancer
11-11-2009, 12:27 PM
I just remembered that she used to be hooked up with pro Bobby Hunter, from Carson City, Nv. I didn't know of her then, but knew of Bobby, who had a pool room there.
Republicans ruled then...and you could see the results on the Golf Course there. They watered it with effluent from their sewerage processing facility, and I don't know what they feed them RW'rs, but it sure helps the grass to grow. The grass was so thick (kind of like the RW here) so thick , the fairways played like hitting from the rough.
You had to change your swing a little and kind of just pick the ball off of the grass.

Gayle in MD
11-11-2009, 06:39 PM
BTW, Steve WAS lying when he said he had talked to several of my instructors! Another Great Big Lie! One complimentary lesson, does not make Several Instructors!

A.H.!!!!

G.

pooltchr
11-11-2009, 07:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

A.H.!!!!

G.

</div></div>

That's what I like about you. You are always so ladylike!!!!

When it comes to lying, I'm not even in your league.
Steve