PDA

View Full Version : need some I.T. help

wolfdancer
11-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Rummaging around today, I spied my old Kaypro, with the lost OS disk, and thinking of donating it to the local HS computer dep't ...thinking of donating my body to their biology lab, but that's a different story. Anybody got a 5" floppy? I got one of them , but that used to be my hard drive. I'm looking for one with the OS on it. thanks

Qtec
11-09-2009, 09:24 PM
link (http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.cpm/browse_thread/thread/c62ca38483e850a8)
Q

Qtec
11-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Or try here.

link (http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm)
Q

wolfdancer
11-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Q, awesome, thanks for the links. If only Bill Gates hadn't invented IBM Dos, my B.A.S.I.C. skills might have kept me in the industry.And then the two Steves invented GUIs, but I knew that would never fly

Chopstick
11-10-2009, 06:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If only Bill Gates hadn't invented IBM Dos,</div></div>

He didn't invent it. Seattle Microcomputer did. His momy bought it for him. If Digital Research had not have been late delivering CPM-86, we never would have heard of that #####.

Deeman3
11-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Guys,

O.K. I got my new computer and am happy with it so far. I have a couple of questions I hope you can help me with.

I have a wireless service with Verison and it is rather weak around the house. Is there a way to set up a permanent place in the house for me to "boost" the wireless signal so I can hook up from every nook and cranny?

Secondly, Is there a device that will allow me to display my screen from my lartop on my HDTV without having to hook up a cable? I was wondering if there was another way to use those Video 1 or 2 plugs with a wireless receiver from the laptop.

Thanks,

I know, most folks know some of this but I am used to my IT guy at work doing everything. I am embarrassed to tell him how little I know about home networks.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

wolfdancer
11-10-2009, 11:51 PM
news to me. My understanding was that he wrote the code, and IBM then allowed him to "buy" it back for a fee, I used to know the cost, and he just changed the name to Ms-Dos. If my memory serves we well, (and it's suspect) Tom Watson (not the golfer) was CEO and thought the future was in mainframes, also thought there was only a market for a few thousand PCs.
This was all before Al Gore invented the internet, so you can't fault Tom and his "old boys network", board, where everyone wore the same tie. Kind of like GWB's cabinet...where everybody was afraid to say "No"....no?

wolfdancer
11-11-2009, 12:01 AM
dee, I'm "winging" it here..but thought you could use an antenna? to give you a signal gain. And not sure if "Slingbox" is the answer to your other need.
It's about 20 min later now...and I googled and found this site. Might find an answer there?
wireless (http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7589_102-0.html?threadID=151310)
I'm the last person to give I.T. advice on as I'm still working with hexidecimal code
I managed to set up a home network using Linksys equipment...I have no idea how I did it. I ended up taking it down after a neighbor said he saw someone with a laptop near my house a few times. I was pretty sure the network was secure, but...
Now I have D'Link stuff but haven't tried hooking it up just yet, instead bought a 25 ft cable, and switch them when I want to use the other one.

wolfdancer
11-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Dee, I just checked my email, and remembered you were thinking of getting a netbook. Hard to beat this price $87,w webcam even, IGB ram, 160 gb HD and Xp.
The catch is They want you to become a paying member, but offer a 30 day free trial

$$$ (http://www.ecost.com/?source=k209827&cm_mmc=Affiliates-_-Performics-_-k209827-_-Primary)

Deeman3
11-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Jack,

Thanks. I have found out that I can put in a router that has a good signal and use it to "roam" around the house with my laptop.

I gave up on the netbook as they just didn't have the horsepower for my graphics programs. My work laptop is very powerful but very heavy and I was wanting something that I would not get upset over if I dropped it off the motorcyle going down the road so I bougfht an HP G60 15.6" by stationing DeeWoman in a Walmart all night on Saturday to but it for $299. She tells me she was first in line and bought the first 2 of 17 available. We give the local school a few desktops every year and one teacher has been begging me to include a laptop so they can take one to conferences so I killed two birds with one rock... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

This thing has 3 Gig and 250MB so while it won't do everything, the e-mails and my other documentation stuff will be easy. It does "scribe" images onto DVD's but I have not tried that function yet as you have to buy the special DVD's. Graphics are not even that slow but I'll keep it mostly clear of a lot of junk. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks for your help. I'll let everyone know how the router works.

wolfdancer
11-11-2009, 12:38 PM
"Such a deal !!!!"
I believe I paid $1100 for my Apple 2c.
That's nice of you to help out the local schools !!!
I thought your problem was receiving the signal, and not a roaming problem.
I saw a story on the internet yesterday that reminded me of your problem. Some $46 million house and property, and the house was humongous ...10 or 15k sq. ft. and only 3 bathrooms. Someone could have an embarrassing accident while trying to locate the RR in that palace.

Deeman3
11-11-2009, 01:14 PM
My signal is o.k. but can vary as I wander around the house. I don't know for sure if router is the proper term for the device but it goes near a wndow, picks up the Verizon signal and amplyfies the signal in the house. I have only ordered the stuff and not received or tested it yet so I'll let you know later.

I am solving my other problem of wirelessly connecting my laptop screen to my HDTV with another remote device that sits behind the TV and plugs into a VGA port, with a small trasmitter out of one of my USB ports from the laptop. again, I have ordered this but not received it yet. I have visions of the kid in Die Hard with a Vengence" being able to hook up anywhere with the laptop but, again, I had to get a little larger version of a portable laptop than I had hoped. If I get sick of the 15.6 incher, I may go for a 10.1 inch and palm the laptop off on DeeWoman. She uses a desk top now but it could have an "accident", you know, the dog eating it! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

wolfdancer
11-11-2009, 01:50 PM
I have a VGA port on the main TV... a Sony, and have used it rarely with a wired input. A wireless device would be neat....I'd
appreciate it if you can tell me what to get to do that, thanks.
The Sony has so many bells and whistles I can't figure it out.
I remember way back to the stone ages, when my Aunt was the first in the family to buy a Tv...a 19" B&W....huge for it's time. They
would send a tech out to install it, and to explain the vertical/horizontal/brightness controls...all really new, and super hi-tech. It was delivered the day before Christmas, and about an hour after he left, it began to make hissing noises, then sparks, and then it died. They replaced it, but after Christmas.....so we didn't get to see Buffalo Bob and Howdy Doody, and Clarabell (Bob Keeshan) who went on to gain even greater fame as Captain Kangeroo. Also became the subject of an
urban legend on the internet, that had him as a war hero:
Bob and lww (http://www.snopes.com/military/celebrities/leemarvin.asp)
I don't know the date, but this was the last episode
HD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p68gWKNers)