PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Own A Kindle wireless Reading Device?

Gayle in MD
11-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Thinking of buyng one...I have so many books, I'm either going to have to buy a bigger house, or get a kindle.

They say most of the boooks on the NY Times Bestseller list are only $9.99 for the Kindle user.

Anyone know if they offer as many non fiction titles, as fiction?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Wish Moblvs was still around, is that how he spelled it?

Bet Sonoma has one!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

wolfdancer
11-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Gayle, I thought of buying one as well. Not sure if you own your download, or are you just renting it?
I googled and found Cnet's review on the device...but haven't read it. Let me know if you buy it, if you then own the DLs, and if you are satisfied with it....thanks, jd
http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-readers/amazon-kindle/1707-3508_7-32751890.html]kindle[/url]

sack316
11-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Haven't used it. But have heard good things about the Kindle 2 as well as Sony's product as well. I know someone who has used both, but for the life of me can't think of who it was. If it comes to me, I'll ask them and see if they have an opinion between the two... but I haven't heard too much negative about either one.

I believe both are around the same price, so I'd say compare the Sony product with it and see if one or the other has any special feature that sounds cool to you.

Sack

Gayle in MD
11-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks...I'll bet in a few years the product will be so advanced from where it stands today...and probably lots cheaper, too.

When it comes to computerized gadgets, I have a history of jumping up buying too early, then regretting the obsolecence of whatever I bought, in no time!

G.

Gayle in MD
11-10-2009, 01:50 PM
thanks friend, and for the link...I had been reading about it on Amazon.

Can't figure how they charge you though? No monthly fees? Wazzup with that?

eg8r
11-10-2009, 02:00 PM
If you go to Amazon.com you can search for books in the Kindle Store. They have thousands of books. Many new books are a bit more expensive than $9.99 but not much.

I have the Kindle app on my iPhone and I love it. I always have my books wherever I go. The Kindle itself is a bit bulky and because I travel so much I did not want to have yet another gadget to carry around but if you are not always on the go it is a nice gadget and definitely a space saver.

eg8r

eg8r
11-10-2009, 02:03 PM
It is the same thing as buying a book. No monthly fees. You just pay for the book (through the Amazon website) and it gets downloaded onto your Kindle. In my case it gets downloaded onto my iPhone. There is also a kindle app for the PC and soon one will be available for a Mac.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
11-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks Ed. I was thinking it would be great for the boat and the beach. I go through books so fast, that I find myself carrying forty pounds of books down the pier every weekend in the summer, and atleast two everytime I go to the beach.

Something tells me though, that in another year this gadget will be so far advanced, I might regret not waiting a bit.

G.

eg8r
11-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Well, even if they do advance and become better, and it will, you won't lose anything (the books can be moved to the updaded hardware) except the money you spent right now. That has to be weighed against spending a couple hundred bucks or lugging around a bunch of books.

One side note is that some people definitely have trouble getting past the "experience" of holding a book, flipping the pages, using bookmarks, etc. The Kindle will allow you to "mark" areas of the book to go back and read which is pretty cool, but you will have to get used to the new "experience". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I am a gadget nerd and had no problem with the transition. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Gayle in MD
11-11-2009, 08:38 AM
I've thought a lot about that part, as a book lover, I'm not sure it's the thing for me.

Plus, my trips to the Book Store, are like an event. I usually spend most of the day, in a booth, enjoying the gooey Star Bucks liquid junk, and they let me take stacks of books to revue!

I'm sure I'd miss the aroma of a brand new book, too, but I thought a Kindle would be great for the boat and beach....although, once a book lover, always a book lover.

They tell me that when I was little I once put a book on the floor opened to one of the beautiful illustrations, and screamed and cried when I couldn't step into that other world.

I have a poem, written long ago, by my daughter, entitled, "My Mother's Books."

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

eg8r
11-11-2009, 11:00 AM
LOL, very cool. I am always reading but generally not the politically motivated books. I was able to get past the idea of not actually owning a book and thumbing through it but the one thing I don't like is that I cannot loan the Kindle book to someone that does not have a kindle. I hate that they are using proprietary software and not the standard ebook file types.

eg8r

wolfdancer
11-11-2009, 11:49 AM
I just got up, and in another half hour or so, my brain will also awaken after the requisite morning drugs...2 cups of coffee.
So, I'm not too sure which major bookstore chain it was, where I used to trip out on.Two floors of Books, a small cafe, bathroom...who could ask for anything more?
This damn internet has all but taken away the joy of reading a book. If you look up a book on the 'net, after reading the reviews, it's like you have read the Cliff notes on the book itself, and .....
I know the bookstore wasn't Barnes & Noble, although you can trip out in there stores as well. Maybe a third cup of coffee???

Gayle in MD
11-11-2009, 11:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got up, and in another half hour or so, my brain will also awaken after the requisite morning drugs...2 cups of coffee.
So, I'm not too sure which major bookstore chain it was, where I used to trip out on.Two floors of Books, a small cafe, bathroom...who could ask for anything more?
This damn internet has all but taken away the joy of reading a book. If you look up a book on the 'net, after reading the reviews, it's like you have read the Cliff notes on the book itself, and .....
I know the bookstore wasn't Barnes & Noble, although you can trip out in there stores as well. Maybe a third cup of coffee??? </div></div>

It's a good thing I only go about once a month! I'd be as big as this desk if I spent much time in there.

I usually avoid those sugary desert styled coffees, but when I'm in there smelling all that yummy caramel.....! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

FUGGEDABOUDIT!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif