PDA

View Full Version : Pool Cue Shaft Diameter Preference

Coroner
11-13-2009, 12:37 PM
I have always played with a 13mm shaft until about 6 months ago I got a cue with a 12.8mm shaft. I like the feel of the smaller diameter and wonder if I would like 12.5 or even 12.0 better. I would like to hear opinions on whether the diameter change between 12 and 13 mm affects accuracy, spin, deflection, etc. I am thinking of having a back-up cue cue down 0.25 mm at a time until I find the right size, has anyone tried this? Thanks.

cushioncrawler
11-13-2009, 04:27 PM
I dont play pool. But i am amazed that u would want to play with less than 13mm -- ie i dont think u would play better.
I had a hit with Colin Colenso's 13mm pool cue -- and it woz great -- really good for soft skrew, soft english etc -- i koodnt beleev how lo'squirt it woz -- and this woz with 2-1/16" balls (140gm). (edit -- or woz it 12.5mm -- nah, i think Colin's break cue woz 12.5mm).
But i think that some 13mm cues are better (for u) than other 13mm cues.
I think it depends on the squirt -- and the shape and softness of the tip are probly more important.
I would probly be happy to uze Colin's cue for my English billiards -- except that i dont like pro-taper -- i like (need) strong taper -- its my eyesight i think.
I would definitly agree with modyfying cues and experimenting -- but not with costly cues.

I hav about 20 cues -- all different -- most of them modyfyd -- and not counting the varyus kombos i can get by mixing shafts and butts (when the threads allow) -- plus 5 short masse cues (modyfyd of course).
Theze vary from 8.5mm to 11.25mm -- and from 14oz to 30oz.
Right now i am uzing a 10mm with a hard BD tip -- and with a 6.6oz lead wt which i skrew onto the end -- makes it 23.5oz.
Its never too late to start messing around with cues.
madMac.

Fenwick
11-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Preference is just that. What I prefer has no bearing on what works for you. All I'll say is I like them small while others like them big.

bradb
11-13-2009, 06:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont play pool. But i am amazed that u would want to play with less than 13mm -- ie i dont think u would play better.
I had a hit with Colin Colenso's 13mm pool cue -- and it woz great -- really good for soft skrew, soft english etc -- i koodnt beleev how lo'squirt it woz -- and this woz with 2-1/16" balls (140gm). (edit -- or woz it 12.5mm -- nah, i think Colin's break cue woz 12.5mm).
Theze vary from 8.5mm to 11.25mm -- and from 14oz to 30oz.
Right now i am uzing a 10mm with a hard BD tip -- and with a 6.6oz lead wt which i skrew onto the end -- makes it 23.5oz.
Its never too late to start messing around with cues.
madMac. </div></div>

Mac, caught your message here and was amazed to hear you would play with a 13mm occasionally, (I'm assuming on a snooker table) and with a cue that heavy.

I know Tony Drago plays pool with his 9mm cue which is amazing he can hit the bigger balls without miscuing. But I would think you would find the big tip on the small snooker balls a real annoyance. Occasionally I go back to the snooker table to play with my old mates but they laugh at me when I drag out my pool cue wth its 12.5mm tip to shoot snooker.

As a side note, whenever I get a bit sloppy in cuing on the pool table I switch to my 11mm snooker cue (hard tip) and it forces me to cue stay closer to the QB center. Brad

bradb
11-13-2009, 07:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coroner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have always played with a 13mm shaft until about 6 months ago I got a cue with a 12.8mm shaft. I like the feel of the smaller diameter and wonder if I would like 12.5 or even 12.0 better. I would like to hear opinions on whether the diameter change between 12 and 13 mm affects accuracy, spin, deflection, etc. I am thinking of having a back-up cue cue down 0.25 mm at a time until I find the right size, has anyone tried this? Thanks. </div></div>

I have a Lucasi 12.5 mm cue. I find I have a bit more control especially for close in touchy shots, and I like the narrower sighting as I lookdown the shaft at the QB. I also like a medium hard tip although I did leave the standard tip on when I bought the cue. As mentioned above I sometimes practice with my 11mm CueTech snooker cue, but I would never use it in a match.

I don't think its much different in cuing as far as spin, positioning etc. its all in your own comfort zone as to what you like. But for me I think I shoot better with a 12.5.

I think tip hardness is a bigger factor. The harder tip gets less unwanted spin on the QB than a soft tip but increases chances of miscuing so its a trade off. A medium hard tip helps me to feel the shot better. Brad

cushioncrawler
11-13-2009, 07:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mac, caught your message here and was amazed to hear you would play with a 13mm occasionally, (I'm assuming on a snooker table) and with a cue that heavy.
I know Tony Drago plays pool with his 9mm cue which is amazing he can hit the bigger balls without miscuing. But I would think you would find the big tip on the small snooker balls a real annoyance. Occasionally I go back to the snooker table to play with my old mates but they laugh at me when I drag out my pool cue wth its 12.5mm tip to shoot snooker.
As a side note, whenever I get a bit sloppy in cuing on the pool table I switch to my 11mm snooker cue (hard tip) and it forces me to cue stay closer to the QB center. Brad</div></div>Brad -- Colin's 13mm pool cue had a i think Triangle tip -- but i loved the shape of the tip -- nicely rounded -- i loved it.

I remember that whatshizname in Adelaide won the state snooker title uzing hiz pool cue, ie 13mm (predator i think) -- and he told me he made a 141 with the cue -- while in the same year he told me two snooker players played off for the state pool title uzing snooker cues, ie about 9.5mm.
madMac.

Soflasnapper
11-14-2009, 11:43 AM
After using the OB-1, I started with their OB-2 shaft, which is in the 11+ mm range. I love it, and miss it when forced to play with anything fatter now. Does it work better for me? Hard to say. It's an entirely impressionistic opinion, but I think yes.

bradb
11-14-2009, 01:19 PM
[/quote Mad mac] I remember that whatshizname in Adelaide won the state snooker title uzing hiz pool cue, ie 13mm (predator i think) -- and he told me he made a 141 with the cue -- while in the same year he told me two snooker players played off for the state pool title uzing snooker cues, ie about 9.5mm.
madMac. [/quote]

Its deffinately an individual thing. Once I started playing pool I found I could'nt go back to the narrow shaft when on the snooker table... It just felt awkward. So I play snooker with my pool cue. They always say to me, "how can you play with that club?" I always reply "the 10mm feels like a needle in my hand." Of course they usually wax my ass so I can use the club as my excuse. Brad /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

cushioncrawler
11-14-2009, 03:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Madmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I remember that whatshizname in Adelaide won the state snooker title uzing hiz pool cue, ie 13mm (predator i think) -- and he told me he made a 141 with the cue -- while in the same year he told me two snooker players played off for the state pool title uzing snooker cues, ie about 9.5mm.
madMac.</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its deffinately an individual thing. Once I started playing pool I found I could'nt go back to the narrow shaft when on the snooker table... It just felt awkward. So I play snooker with my pool cue. They always say to me, "how can you play with that club?" I always reply "the 10mm feels like a needle in my hand." Of course they usually wax my ass so I can use the club as my excuse. Brad /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif</div></div>Its the same in ballarat -- the 8Ball bar'box pub pool comp iz much stronger than the club snooker and billiards -- lots of 8Ball players play snooker and billiards uzing their 8Ball cue -- ie often only 8mm, look like needles -- koz i think bar'box hav 2" balls and 1-7/8" Qballs & 6' tables (or are they 7') -- i keep telling'em that they would play better on a 12' (2-1/16" balls) table with a 9.5mm -- but they beat me (at snooker) anyhow.
madMac.

bradb
11-16-2009, 02:10 PM
I've watched some of your 8ball tournies and it looks like your bar box tables are a bit bigger than our bar pool tables here. I'm not sure of the ball or table size's though. The players look pretty good at caroms and combos. I was wondering how do they call a pocket when the balls are the same color (red and yellow), or am I mixing up the two games? brad

cushioncrawler
11-16-2009, 02:36 PM
I went to one 8Ball tourney to watch a few weeks ago and i never saw no one nominating a pocket -- yellow and red balls az u say, and a black, and a white (small) Qball.
I think that in big tourneys (ie international, ie televized) the finals are played on 8' tables -- must be what u saw.
madMac.

1Time
11-18-2009, 01:38 PM
How well you shoot with one cue or another cannot be determined only by fractions of a mm in the diameter of its shaft. The shaft diameter as measured at the ferrule is only one variable out of several that determine how well you can shoot with the cue.

Your search for the best diameter for you is futile. You shoot with different sticks and compare them, regardless of shaft diameter. Try different shots and pay attention to how well you shoot with each cue.

I recently switched from a smaller diameter shaft / cue to a 13mm and this new cue is the best shooting cue for me that I've ever used. But this is hardly because of the diameter of the shaft.

I then re-finished the shaft to get the feel of it that I like, lightly sanding with 400 grit sandpaper, a green nylon pad, and 1000 grit. The shaft now probably measures no less than 12.95 mm at the ferrule. However, it now plays different than before, better for me in some ways and not as good in other ways.

If you want a single variable for use in prejudging cues, I suggest considering the stiffness of the shaft / cue. However and again, I recommend shooting and comparing different cues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coroner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have always played with a 13mm shaft until about 6 months ago I got a cue with a 12.8mm shaft. I like the feel of the smaller diameter and wonder if I would like 12.5 or even 12.0 better. I would like to hear opinions on whether the diameter change between 12 and 13 mm affects accuracy, spin, deflection, etc. I am thinking of having a back-up cue cue down 0.25 mm at a time until I find the right size, has anyone tried this? Thanks. </div></div>