PDA

View Full Version : Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots

dr_dave
11-13-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm very excited to announce the release of the first DVD in an instructional series I've been working on with Tom Ross this past year. The series is called: The Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots (http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/). If you are interested in checking it out, I have a video trailer for the entire series near the bottom of the page here:

http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/

The first disc, which includes 1 hour and 27 minutes of video, covers basic shot making and position play. Video excerpts for a collection of shots from the DVD can be viewed online here:

http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/disc_I.html

Here's the outline of the entire series (http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/veps_outline.pdf), and here's the complete list of shot categories included on Disc I (http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/disc_I_shots.pdf). The series includes over 750 shot categories within 50 different major categories, with over 250 "gems" of the game. We think, and we hope you agree, that the series is the most comprehensive collection of useful pool shots ever published (and demonstrated).

I think Tom and I made a good team for this project because he is an experienced player, coach, and instructional columnist, and I have more skills on the understanding, illustration, and explanation side of things. I hope you guys like our stuff. We have worked really hard on this project ... months of planning, months of filming, and months of editing and production. It has truly been a labor of love.

Please check out all of the video clips online, and let us know what you think. Also, please help spread the word.

Regards,
Dave

Paul_Mon
11-14-2009, 09:57 AM
WOW. That is some great stuff. I can't see how it can't help most people. The graphics, vocals, pace of production are perfect. Three thumbs up.

I'm not easily impressed and must admit that it is at times hard to follow your written monthly BD stuff. I'm extremely impressed and didn't feel like I missed anything.

You two have possibly put together the best pool DVD ever. I know it's going to be part of my library.

Paul........I'm shaking my head and saying WOW over and over.

dr_dave
11-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Paul,

Since you are the first to respond, please PM or e-mail me your mailing address, and I will send you a copy of the first DVD.

Thank you for the encouragement and kind words. I appreciate it, even if you're not always a "fan" of my BD articles.

Regards,
Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul_Mon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW. That is some great stuff. I can't see how it can't help most people. The graphics, vocals, pace of production are perfect. Three thumbs up.

I'm not easily impressed and must admit that it is at times hard to follow your written monthly BD stuff. I'm extremely impressed and didn't feel like I missed anything.

You two have possibly put together the best pool DVD ever. I know it's going to be part of my library.

Paul........I'm shaking my head and saying WOW over and over. </div></div>

JoeW
11-14-2009, 01:05 PM
The demo got me. I just bought the DVD. Nice work guys. If the next DVD were ready for Christmas it would be on my Christmas list -- no pressure you undersand.

dr_dave
11-14-2009, 01:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The demo got me. I just bought the DVD. Nice work guys. If the next DVD were ready for Christmas it would be on my Christmas list -- no pressure you undersand. </div></div>Thanks Joe. If you ever come out with a book on the mental side of the game, I would also be one of your first customers. Have you thought about working on something like this? I'm sure it would be well received.

BTW, my goal is to have the 2nd disc out within 3-4 weeks, in time to have your Christmas wishes come true. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

The remaining discs will take about 4-6 weeks each to finish (editing, narration, illustration, etc.) and have replicated.

Regards,
Dave

JoeW
11-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Yeah, there is a mongraph in progress. But like you, not much to talk about until it is ready to go. Currently having trouble staying in my area of expertise. A little self discipline is needed here. Your work sure keeps me on track and that is appreciated.

Please let us know when the next disc is ready so I am sure I get it :-)

dr_dave
11-14-2009, 03:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, there is a mongraph in progress.</div></div>I thought so. I look forward to seeing it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But like you, not much to talk about until it is ready to go.</div></div>It was hard holding my tongue on this one because it has been my "little baby" for so long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Currently having trouble staying in my area of expertise. A little self discipline is needed here. Your work sure keeps me on track and that is appreciated.</div></div>Let me know if you need an publishing advice down the road ... I have some good contacts and some experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please let us know when the next disc is ready so I am sure I get it :-) </div></div>I'll post updates with new online video clips when each DVD is released.

You're also now on my customer-update e-mail list.

Regards,
Dave

JoeW
11-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Placed a link to the encyclopedia on my web site.

dr_dave
11-14-2009, 06:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Placed a link to the encyclopedia on my web site. </div></div>Thanks Joe. As you probably know, I also have lots of links to your stuff on my site.

Regards,
Dave

cushioncrawler
11-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Hey u guys hold it right there.
But there is a lovely camping ground exaktly half way tween your places.
madMac.

wolfdancer
11-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Any free goodies for your oldest fan, and 10th to reply here?
Just kidding, as I'm going to order, thanks to both Paul Mon's and JoeW's glowing endorsements.
I'm sure it, and the ones to come, will be interesting to view' While my own ability to learn is suspect, I hope to pass along some of what's contained in there to my teammates, and hopefully encourage them to purchase as well,

Brian in VA
11-15-2009, 10:04 AM
This is a terrific load of work Dave! Well done! It's going on my Christmas list and being mailed to my wife, right now.

Thanks!

Brian in VA

dr_dave
11-15-2009, 10:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey u guys hold it right there.
But there is a lovely camping ground exaktly half way tween your places.
madMac. </div></div>Mac,

What are you saying? Have you been to Colorado before? If you have, how come you didn't visit me? Or are you planning to come to Colorado? If you do, you better visit me. Or do you mean something else entirely?

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave
11-15-2009, 11:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any free goodies for your oldest fan, and 10th to reply here?
Just kidding, as I'm going to order, thanks to both Paul Mon's and JoeW's glowing endorsements.
I'm sure it, and the ones to come, will be interesting to view' While my own ability to learn is suspect, I hope to pass along some of what's contained in there to my teammates, and hopefully encourage them to purchase as well, </div></div>Thanks Wolfie. If you keep saying nice stuff like that, you might get the next one for free. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

FYI, if you're the first to respond when I announce the next one, the freebie will be automatic.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave
11-15-2009, 11:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian in VA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a terrific load of work Dave! Well done! It's going on my Christmas list and being mailed to my wife, right now.

Thanks!

Brian in VA </div></div>Thanks Brian. I hope your wife makes your Christmas dreams come true. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Regards,
Dave

Sid_Vicious
11-15-2009, 01:45 PM
I jumped in. The example clips are very good, look forward to seeing the whole disk...sid

cushioncrawler
11-15-2009, 02:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey u guys hold it right there. But there is a lovely camping ground exaktly half way tween your places.
madMac.</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mac, What are you saying? Have you been to Colorado before? If you have, how come you didn't visit me? Or are you planning to come to Colorado? If you do, you better visit me. Or do you mean something else entirely? Regards, Dave</div></div>Dr Dave -- I woz just jesting -- thinking of a scene from BrokeBack Mountain.
I hav never been overseas -- but for sure i would vizit all u guys i could over there if ever i did go to usofa.
Put me down for a DVD, and for Vol 2 -- i will send my mailing address.
madMac.

dr_dave
11-15-2009, 03:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The example clips are very good, look forward to seeing the whole disk...sid </div></div>Thanks. Please let me know what you think (here, or via PM or e-mail) after you see the whole thing.

Regards,
Dave

Sid_Vicious
11-16-2009, 11:48 PM
I will do that Dave. sid

dr_dave
11-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Has anybody seen the entire Disc I yet?

I'm curious to know what you guys think ... positive or negative.

Thanks,
Dave
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm very excited to announce the release of the first DVD in an instructional series I've been working on with Tom Ross this past year. The series is called: The Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots (http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/). If you are interested in checking it out, I have a video trailer for the entire series near the bottom of the page here:

The first disc, which includes 1 hour and 27 minutes of video, covers basic shot making and position play. Video excerpts for a collection of shots from the DVD can be viewed online here:

Here's the outline of the entire series (http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/veps_outline.pdf), and here's the complete list of shot categories included on Disc I (http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/disc_I_shots.pdf). The series includes over 750 shot categories within 50 different major categories, with over 250 "gems" of the game. We think, and we hope you agree, that the series is the most comprehensive collection of useful pool shots ever published (and demonstrated).

I think Tom and I made a good team for this project because he is an experienced player, coach, and instructional columnist, and I have more skills on the understanding, illustration, and explanation side of things. I hope you guys like our stuff. We have worked really hard on this project ... months of planning, months of filming, and months of editing and production. It has truly been a labor of love.

Please check out all of the video clips online, and let us know what you think. Also, please help spread the word.

Regards,
Dave </div></div>

JoeW
11-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Review posted on AZB

Paul_Mon
11-20-2009, 03:21 PM
[quote=dr_dave]Has anybody seen the entire Disc I yet?

I'm curious to know what you guys think ... positive or negative.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,
Iíve viewed it twice. By far the most complete collection of billiard knowledge Iíve seen. I canít wait for more. I did have a hard time trying to find the ďpeace signĒ tips after the first viewing. The categories being more shot oriented. The numbering is great and you and Tom both do superb work. I can only imagine how tough editing had to be. There is no wasted time. I definitely learned a few things, particularly in regards to cue ball travel and how to change it with different stroke. I definitely donít know what I donít know.

PaulÖÖÖ2 thumbs up

dr_dave
11-20-2009, 06:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul_Mon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave,
Iíve viewed it twice. By far the most complete collection of billiard knowledge Iíve seen. I canít wait for more. I did have a hard time trying to find the ďpeace signĒ tips after the first viewing. The categories being more shot oriented. The numbering is great and you and Tom both do superb work. I can only imagine how tough editing had to be. There is no wasted time. I definitely learned a few things, particularly in regards to cue ball travel and how to change it with different stroke. I definitely donít know what I donít know.

PaulÖÖÖ2 thumbs up</div></div>Paul,

Thank you for that very-flattering "testimonial."

You are correct about the editing and production work. That takes a lot longer than all of the filming.

BTW, to make it easier to find specific shots within the main categories on the disc menu, we have a complete list you can print from the website. Here it is for Disc I:

List of all shots demonstrated in Disc I (http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/disc_I_shots.pdf)

Thanks again,
Dave

Paul_Mon
11-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Dave,

You're welcome. That list is exactly what I need. Joew had some good points. I'm lucky to have quite a few around, but jewel cases are available at Staples, Office Max, etc.

Paul

wolfdancer
11-26-2009, 03:32 PM
JoeW, after reading your post and Paul Mon's, I did go ahead and order the DVD. While normally doing that is not a problem....it became an annoying one for me. I bank with BoFa, and retain my old Ca. Account, for the "shopsafe" app. that they have, that isn't available up here. The short version of the story is I spent a couple of frustrating hours talking to several customer reps...and all this for a $30 purchase!!!!
If the secret to running 3 balls is not contained on that DVD, I am personally going to take it back to Colorado, and demand a refund!
Have a great Thanksgiving !!!

dr_dave
11-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Wolfie,

I'm sorry about your ordeal, but you could have just sent me a check or used regular PayPal.

BTW, if you don't think the DVD is worth $30, I will send you $60 ... honestly!

Please let me know what you think of the DVD after you've had a chance to watch the whole thing.

Regards,
Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JoeW, after reading your post and Paul Mon's, I did go ahead and order the DVD. While normally doing that is not a problem....it became an annoying one for me. I bank with BoFa, and retain my old Ca. Account, for the "shopsafe" app. that they have, that isn't available up here. The short version of the story is I spent a couple of frustrating hours talking to several customer reps...and all this for a $30 purchase!!!!
If the secret to running 3 balls is not contained on that DVD, I am personally going to take it back to Colorado, and demand a refund!
Have a great Thanksgiving !!!
</div></div>

dr_dave
11-28-2009, 01:08 PM
FYI, I just finished Disc II - English and Position Control (http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/disc_II.html). If you want to check out some demo clips, go here:

http://dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/disc_II.html

The posted clips cover the following topics:
- squirt, swerve, throw introduction
- back-hand English and natural pivot length
- rail-first and ball-first rail cut shots with inside and outside English
- leaving an angle, and using English to come into the line of a shot
- center-of-table position and multiple-rail routes[/INDENT]

Here's the complete list of shots included on Disc II (http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/disc_II_shots.pdf), and here's the outline of the entire series (http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/veps_outline.pdf). Disc II includes 1 hour and 39 minutes of video covering 184 shot types.

I hope you guys enjoy and learn from the clips. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Regards,
Dave<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm very excited to announce the release of the first DVD in an instructional series I've been working on with Tom Ross this past year. The series is called: The Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots (http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/). If you are interested in checking it out, I have a video trailer for the entire series near the bottom of the page here:

Regards,
Dave </div></div>

Paul_Mon
11-28-2009, 11:16 PM
Dave,
It's more of the same great instruction that the first DVD has. The squirt/swerve portion is something I've used for a while evaluating cues. One thing I learned was about BHE and the break. I don't use BHE and while understanding it always instinctively compensated and use a 314 shaft. But breaking is one of my weakest areas. Particularly hitting them flush. I break with a conventional cue and will now determine it's pivot length. Occasionally, to make it fair with guests I use a house cue. I will then use BHE and the pivot point is known.

All in all Two thumbs up again Dave. Actually,I believe I gave you 3 thumbs up on DVD #1. But I've grown accustomed to your excellent way of passing on information. Well done Dave and Tom.

Just placed my order. These are like the 12 days of Christmas for pool players. LOL

regards...........Paul

JoeW
11-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Money is "in the mail." What else can I say.

I immedately found the pivot point basd on info in the clip. While I tend to use Joe Tucker's forehand and backhand english The clip showed me (following the simple directions) that I have naturally found the correct pivot point and that I can have more trust in it than I thought was warrented.

It is interesting to note that your technique allows one to find the pivot point in less than five minutes and that I was already using it without knowing it before I watched the DVD. I have read about BHE in several places but had concluded that it introduced to many complications for my taste. Joe Tucker's approach seemed a natural way to offset squirt and I had been using it for some time. Now I see they are the highly similar methods. JoeT,s approach was simple and now yours joins as another elegant way to learn the virtues of BHE.

I did not know (or remember?) the 45 degree rule for position through the center of the table. This too is of much help.

All this from the clips and there is much more to watch and learn.

Thanks Dr Dave.

dr_dave
11-29-2009, 12:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul_Mon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave,
It's more of the same great instruction that the first DVD has. The squirt/swerve portion is something I've used for a while evaluating cues. One thing I learned was about BHE and the break. I don't use BHE and while understanding it always instinctively compensated and use a 314 shaft. But breaking is one of my weakest areas. Particularly hitting them flush. I break with a conventional cue and will now determine it's pivot length. Occasionally, to make it fair with guests I use a house cue. I will then use BHE and the pivot point is known.</div></div>Thanks Paul. I'm glad you like what you've seen so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul_Mon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All in all Two thumbs up again Dave. Actually,I believe I gave you 3 thumbs up on DVD #1. But I've grown accustomed to your excellent way of passing on information. Well done Dave and Tom.</div></div>I hope your number of thumbs doesn't continue to decrease. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
If it goes down by one for each disc, I won't be very happy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul_Mon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just placed my order. These are like the 12 days of Christmas for pool players. LOL</div></div>Unfortunately, it is only the 2 days of Christmas. The 3rd disc will take me much longer to finish than the 2nd.

Thanks again for your flattering and supportive words,
Dave

dr_dave
11-29-2009, 12:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Money is "in the mail." What else can I say.</div></div>Thanks Joe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I immedately found the pivot point basd on info in the clip. While I tend to use Joe Tucker's forehand and backhand english The clip showed me (following the simple directions) that I have naturally found the correct pivot point and that I can have more trust in it than I thought was warrented.

It is interesting to note that your technique allows one to find the pivot point in less than five minutes and that I was already using it without knowing it before I watched the DVD. I have read about BHE in several places but had concluded that it introduced to many complications for my taste. Joe Tucker's approach seemed a natural way to offset squirt and I had been using it for some time. Now I see they are the highly similar methods. JoeT,s approach was simple and now yours joins as another elegant way to learn the virtues of BHE.</div></div>Thanks. We have a lot more stuff on this and related topics on the disc ... probably too much for most people's tastes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did not know (or remember?) the 45 degree rule for position through the center of the table. This too is of much help.</div></div>I didn't know this either until Tom showed me. It isn't exact, but it is useful. I've already used it several times in league matches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All this from the clips and there is much more to watch and learn.

Thanks Dr Dave.</div></div>Thanks again Joe. I appreciate your supportive and thoughtful comments.

Regards,
Dave

wolfdancer
11-29-2009, 10:18 PM
i was hoping to view disk one before I broke open a second piggy bank and bought disk 2....but maybe I can wash some car windows on the freeway on ramp...and raise the $$, before the production run has sold out.
With the again glowing accolades here....I will probably be ordering in the next day or two.
The DVD sounds like a "winner" and a "keeper" I've lent so many books and tapes out that never seem to find it's way back.
Probably the dumbest thing I've ever done along those lines....I had bought the two "Winning One Pocket" books at the original price of $40 each. they had kind of become coffee table items, and were now out of print...and folks here wanted to see them.
So I donated them, with the idea that they would go to the next person on the list,after they had been read. Not sure how far down the list they made it...as the "going" price had now climbed to $100 each.
Who knows what yours will bring, years from now...in the "secondary" market? (an old "Beanie Bears" promo)

Paul_Mon
11-30-2009, 09:54 AM
I too bought both Robin's books. They are the only items I refuse to lend out. BTW, I have at least 50 signatures in these books all very meaningfull to me. I think $100 is way too low a price for these. My thinking is more like $225.

regards........Paul

wolfdancer
11-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Paul, it would be way too low now, but the $100 asking price was shortly after the book went out of print.
I was really into one pocket at the time....but if 9-ball is checkers, one-pocket is chess, and my last name wasn't Kasparov.
Matching up with the local talent, was always a mismatch...A couple of name players that you would recognize, gave me a 10-4 spot. I let that influence my decision to just give them away.

dr_dave
01-29-2010, 07:30 PM
FYI, I now have the VEPS Disc III info posted along with six sample clips. Everything can be found here:

Disc III - Safety Play and Strategy (http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/disc_III.html)

If you don't want to visit the site, here are direct links to the videos:

NV B.75 - 30-degree-rule natural-angle examples, from VEPS III (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-75.htm)
NV B.76 - Don't leave "big ball" for kick safety reply, from VEPS III (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-76.htm)
NV B.77 - Playing for exact position instead of to an area, from VEPS III (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-77.htm)
NV B.78 - How to choose good "key" balls, from VEPS III (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-78.htm)
NV B.79 - How to choose solids vs. stripes after an 8-ball break, from VEPS III (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-79.htm)
NV B.80 - How and when to break out clusters in 9-ball, from VEPS III (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-80.htm)

I hope you enjoy the video clips. Please let me know if you have any feedback (positive or negative) or suggestions.

Thanks,
Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm very excited to announce the release of the first DVD in an instructional series I've been working on with Tom Ross this past year. The series is called: The Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots (http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/). If you are interested in checking it out, I have a video trailer for the entire series near the bottom of the page here:

Regards,
Dave </div></div>

dr_dave
03-18-2010, 03:36 PM
FYI, I now have the VEPS Disc IV info posted along with six sample clips. Everything can be found here:

Disc IV - Banks, Kicks, and Advanced Shots (http://dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/disc_IV.html)

If you don't want to visit the site, here are direct links to the videos:

NV B.81 - Bank and kick shot terminology and basics, from VEPS IV (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-81.htm)
NV B.82 - Rolling-cue-ball through-diamond kick-shot aiming system, from VEPS IV (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-82.htm)
NV B.83 - Shallow-angle contact-point-mirror-image kick-shot aiming system, from VEPS IV (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-83.htm)
NV B.84 - Plus System for aiming two-rail kick shots, from VEPS IV (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-84.htm)
NV B.85 - Corner-Five System for aiming three-rail kick shots, from VEPS IV (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-85.htm)
NV B.86 - Cut-induced throw (CIT) and spin-induced throw (SIT), from VEPS IV (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-86.htm)

I hope you enjoy the video clips. Please let me know if you have any feedback (positive or negative) or suggestions.

Thanks,
Dave

Please check out all of the video clips online, and let us know what you think. Also, please help spread the word.</div></div>

bradb
03-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks Dave, I have a friend whose son wants to take up pool and these insructional videos will be a great way for him to come into the game on the right track.

-Brad

dr_dave
03-18-2010, 06:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Dave, I have a friend whose son wants to take up pool and these insructional videos will be a great way for him to come into the game on the right track.

-Brad </div></div>Thanks; although, VEPS (especially Discs II through V) might be a bit much for beginners. You might recommend they start with something a little more basic, for example the online introductory tutorial I have posted here:

http://billiards.colostate.edu/pool_tutorial.html

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave
04-13-2010, 12:45 PM
FYI, I just completed Disc V of the Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots (VEPS) series. Complete information, including demo clips and a complete list of shots, can be found here:
VEPS Disc V - Skill and Specialty Shots (http://dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/disc_V.html)

Here are direct links to the video clips:
NV B.87 - Jump shot technique, from VEPS V (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-87.htm)
NV B.88 - Masse shot technique, from VEPS V (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-88.htm)
NV B.89 - 9-ball racking strategy, from VEPS V (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-89.htm)
NV B.90 - 8-ball and 9-ball run-out examples, from VEPS V (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-90.htm)
NV B.91 - Frozen-throw-down-rail proposition shot, from VEPS V (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-91.htm)
NV B.92 - "Impossible" cut shots, from VEPS V (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-92.htm)
NV B.93 - Famous trick (artistic pool) shots, from VEPS V (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-93.htm)

Please check out the video clips and let us (me and Tom Ross) know if you have any feedback (positive or negative), suggestions, or questions.

FYI, information on the entire VEPS series can be found here:
http://dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/

Tom and I look forward to your comments.

Thanks,
Dave

PS: FYI to people who have already ordered, or plan to order, Disc IV (Banks, Kicks, and Advanced Shots) and/or Disc V:
Disc IV is going out in the mail today, and Disc V is currently expected to go out on May 12.

cushioncrawler
04-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Dr Dave -- Naturally i went straight to "impossible" cut shots.

Shot 1 (728)-- the cushion 1st cut -- it occurred to me that over the years no'one haz sayd that when the qball iz at its max penetration into the rubber its vel iz parallel to the rail, ie giving u more "cut effekt". And, its trajektory in the rail iz a wide U, ie the qball sort of steps to one side, ie giving u a good "margin for error".
But i reckon u can set this shot up and eezyly cut back on a really serious impossible angle -- prap 20dg.

Shot 2 (731) -- I remember a couple of years ago one member of this forum did this cut'back bank'shot with the qball on the rail. Iz this possible?????

Shot 3 (732) -- Bob jewett sez u can cut this behind 90dg.
What iz the aktual angle in your video??????
What iz the max cut for a clean objekt-ball ????
madMac.

dr_dave
04-14-2010, 02:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dr Dave -- Naturally i went straight to "impossible" cut shots.</div></div>Mac, you're "impossible!" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot 1 (728)-- the cushion 1st cut -- it occurred to me that over the years no'one haz sayd that when the qball iz at its max penetration into the rubber its vel iz parallel to the rail, ie giving u more "cut effekt". And, its trajektory in the rail iz a wide U, ie the qball sort of steps to one side, ie giving u a good "margin for error".
But i reckon u can set this shot up and eezyly cut back on a really serious impossible angle -- prap 20dg.</div></div>Agreed, especially if the cloth is fast and the pockets are "wide."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot 2 (731) -- I remember a couple of years ago one member of this forum did this cut'back bank'shot with the qball on the rail. Iz this possible?????</div></div>I think so, if there is cling and the pocket is big enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot 3 (732) -- Bob jewett sez u can cut this behind 90dg.</div></div>I agree.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What iz the aktual angle in your video??????</div></div>Very close to 90 degrees.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What iz the max cut for a clean objekt-ball ????</div></div>Typical maximum throw (without cling) is about 5-6 degrees. Throw can be twice that (or more) with cling. Therefore, with very fast speed and fast cloth, a cut close to 95 degrees should be possible with typical conditions, and be much easier with a chalk smudge.

Regards,
Dave

cushioncrawler
04-14-2010, 04:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What iz the max cut for a clean objekt-ball ????</div></div>Typical maximum throw (without cling) is about 5-6 degrees. Throw can be twice that (or more) with cling. Therefore, with very fast speed and fast cloth, a cut close to 95 degrees should be possible with typical conditions, and be much easier with a chalk smudge.....</div></div>Dr Dave -- I remember in my tests with 2 1/4" pool balls i kood get over-cut (ie behind 90dg) but only if the Oball ran less than 2'. I woz uzing max spin and max pace with a 17oz 10mm snooker cue.
I koodnt get over-kut if the Oball ran further than 2'. Koz, it woznt fizzikally possible for me to hit the Qball hard'nuff, keeping in mind that hitting the Qball at the equator and at the extreme offset duznt giv much pace to the Qball.
I think Bob musthavhad help from the Oball sitting in a crater. Or praps Bob uzed a straightedge and rolled a ball heavily on the desired line, ie to train the felt.
Iz it too late to get our money back???
madMac.