PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Shaft / Cue Modification

1Time
11-21-2009, 01:26 AM
I wrapped Scotch "Magic Removable Tape" in a spiral around 8" or 9" of the upper part of the shaft on my cue, about 3" from the joint.

This added a little forward weighting to the cue. And it seems as though the shaft is a little stiffer where the tape is, effectively changing the taper of the shaft. But more importantly, it's changed how well I am shooting.

This was a great shooting cue when I first got it, the best I've ever used. Then I re-finished the shaft to get the feel that I wanted, but that changed how the cue shot for me, better in some ways and worse in other ways.

However, this modification with the tape has improved this cue to better than when new. It really has stepped up my game. So I just wanted to pass on this simple shaft / cue modification.

Of course if this helps one's game, the ideal would be to get a new shaft / cue that implements the improvement. I probably won't bother chasing after that as I'm having too much fun now shooting lights out pool. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

cushioncrawler
11-21-2009, 04:41 PM
What length of shaft near the tip iz clean, ie tween tip and tape ??
What woz wt before ?? -- and what iz wt now ??
Where woz balance pt before ?? -- and where now ??

I think that your new feel and new play iz psychologikal.
Or, that it iz due to the new looks -- ie improoved aim etc.
What color iz the tape ??
I think u would get the same rezults if u took the tape off -- and painted the shaft, or that bit of shaft.

I doubt that the tape haz inkreeced the stiffness.
I doubt that the tape haz changed the taper -- unless u wound it on so that the depth of tape woznt konsistent ???

Me, myself, for years i liked to add some wt foreward in my sticks -- i liked the heavyr wt -- and i liked the extra wt foreward on my bridge.

But now i hav gone the other way. I hav no worrys adjusting when i skrew a 6.6oz wt onto the end of the butt of the stick i uze now -- it takes the wt from 16.9oz up to 23.5oz -- and it moovs the balance pt back a mile -- sometimes i play with the wt, sometimes not.

The wt changes the way i havta stroke -- and it gets different rezults -- but i dont care much about any of that -- i like the wt koz it seems to dumb'down the bad bits of my stroke -- ie i am more konsistent with the wt on.
madMac.

1Time
11-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Irrelevant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What length of shaft near the tip iz clean, ie tween tip and tape ??
What woz wt before ?? -- and what iz wt now ??
Where woz balance pt before ?? -- and where now ??

I think that your new feel and new play iz psychologikal.
Or, that it iz due to the new looks -- ie improoved aim etc.
What color iz the tape ??
I think u would get the same rezults if u took the tape off -- and painted the shaft, or that bit of shaft.

I doubt that the tape haz inkreeced the stiffness.
I doubt that the tape haz changed the taper -- unless u wound it on so that the depth of tape woznt konsistent ???

Me, myself, for years i liked to add some wt foreward in my sticks -- i liked the heavyr wt -- and i liked the extra wt foreward on my bridge.

But now i hav gone the other way. I hav no worrys adjusting when i skrew a 6.6oz wt onto the end of the butt of the stick i uze now -- it takes the wt from 16.9oz up to 23.5oz -- and it moovs the balance pt back a mile -- sometimes i play with the wt, sometimes not.

The wt changes the way i havta stroke -- and it gets different rezults -- but i dont care much about any of that -- i like the wt koz it seems to dumb'down the bad bits of my stroke -- ie i am more konsistent with the wt on.
madMac. </div></div>

cushioncrawler
11-21-2009, 06:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....Of course if this helps one's game, the ideal would be to get a new shaft / cue that implements the improvement.</div></div>What relevent improvement shood be implemented when/if u get a new shaft.

Iz it the wt ??
Iz it the thickness and stiffness ???
Iz it the taper ????
Iz it the color ?????
Iz it the finish ?????
madMac.

1Time
11-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Whatever changes that are necessary to obtain the same desired results at the table with the new shaft / cue.

You try this modification, and at worst you waste some tape. But I suspect it's very likely some would benefit, which is why I posted.

The amount and location of the tape makes a difference. In effect it's like adding wood to the shaft and changing its taper. This in turn changes how the cue reacts when striking the CB, which changes how the CB reacts to the cue.

But whether any difference after taping is found to be an improvement is another matter. There is no one size fits all prescription for this modification. Cues and players are different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What relevent improvement shood be implemented when/if u get a new shaft.</div></div>

cushioncrawler
11-22-2009, 02:14 PM
1Time -- I analysed your 3 postings on your topic here, and found that the essence could be summarised in the two main words that u uzed.......
....... (1) change... & ... (2)improvement.

Then i hit me -- most of us improve when we change something -- in fakt most of us improve when we change anything.
Its the changing that counts -- not the change -- see ??????????

Its a bit like a golfer changing hiz'her putter -- and winning -- then going back to the old putter and going even better than originally.
I changed my putter every hole -- koz i had a great big heavy putter -- and i could address the ball in about 6 different places along the face -- felt like and looked like a different putter every hole -- won me a lot of money.

In your own case i feel that u were sucked in by a sort of placebo effekt here.
The only change that really mattered woz the color of the shaft -- ie the look of the shaft.
I reckon that golfers should paint their favourit putter a different color every round.
madMac.

Bumlak
11-23-2009, 05:49 AM
Would it really be a placebo effect though? Putting tape on the shaft, especially that close to the joint would dampen the vibration of the shaft. This change in resonance will in fact effect the way the shaft plays...albeit very slightly. The whole idea behind "stiffening" a shaft is that you push the vibration point closer to the joint thereby making the shaft play a little stiffer. This is normally accomplished by using a different taper…but maybe the tape is just enough to get the same effect. There are a few missing factors here:

1) How much tape are we talking about here? 1/2 an ounce...4 ounces?

2) How "whippy" was the shaft to begin with?

3) What kind of joint is on the cue? The larger the joint pint, the more the vibration is transferred if I remember correctly.

All of that being said, the "shiny new putter" scenario could play into the better play of the cue as well. Sometimes a small change can have a big mental impact as MadMac states.

cushioncrawler
11-23-2009, 02:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bumlak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would it really be a placebo effect though? Putting tape on the shaft, especially that close to the joint would dampen the vibration of the shaft. This change in resonance will in fact effect the way the shaft plays...albeit very slightly. The whole idea behind "stiffening" a shaft is that you push the vibration point closer to the joint thereby making the shaft play a little stiffer. This is normally accomplished by using a different taper…but maybe the tape is just enough to get the same effect. There are a few missing factors here:
1) How much tape are we talking about here? 1/2 an ounce...4 ounces?
2) How "whippy" was the shaft to begin with?
3) What kind of joint is on the cue? The larger the joint pint, the more the vibration is transferred if I remember correctly.
All of that being said, the "shiny new putter" scenario could play into the better play of the cue as well. Sometimes a small change can have a big mental impact as MadMac states.</div></div>Bumlak -- It kums to mind that, in the whole of human history, lots of triple'blind tests hav been carryd out, and in such tests not one expert haz ever korrektly identyfyd any suppozedly superior article, ie hidden away in a bunch of cheap suppozed krappy stuff.

I am not saying that say vibration aint important.
But if say 3 experts ganged together for a joke and picked out a sucker with a krappy cue and at different times asked if they could hav a look at the cue and each haz a hit and informs the sucker that that iz one hellova cue and would like to buy it and then they sit back and see how the sucker plays they would probly see the sucker win the tournament i reckon.
madMac.

Bumlak
11-23-2009, 09:37 PM
I wouldn't disagree with that MadMac. There is a certain amount of "suggestion" which can be used in that case. It's harder to prove however when the person conducting the test itself actually believes in the positive results.

I play with an Ivory jointed cue. I think it hits like Merlin's personal wand. That however does NOT mean that others agree with me necessarily no matter how much I would try to suggest or imprint my judgment.

Eric

1Time
11-25-2009, 10:59 AM
So then a couple days later I shot on the same table with the same balls, but I got a different result. The stick played differently, and my game was off, like it was a different cue.

Usually once a new cue has settled in after extensive play, I adapt to it and shoot very consistently. And I've seen new shafts / cues / re-tapered shafts change like this before. While settling in, they played as though they had become more flexible. And I can tell this is what happened by the behavior of the CB with various shots.

So yesterday I wrapped some more tape on the shaft with the idea that it would make it stiffer. And this of course changed how the shaft shot for me, better but not as good as before.

Then I changed my grip to adapt to the cue, to shoot better. It's a grip that I haven't used in a while, but this change did it. Now I'm shooting with a higher level of precision that I've never known before. You know, the type of precision that allows you to confidently make combination shots, banks, and incredible cut shots.

But I will post another thread about the grip and continue this one about the simple shaft modification. It's fun tinkering around with essentially different shafts and all by adding or removing Scotch tape... lol.

1Time
12-11-2009, 10:24 PM
More about this new cue.

I took the tape off, which of course left a sticky mess. Refinished the shaft and had the ferrule cut shorter and some weight cut off the weight bolt. And then I added small amounts of adhesive putty in the hole on top of the weight bolt to get the cue's weight / balance the way I liked it. (That's how you can vary a cue's weight by grams or small fractions of an ounce.)

The point of putting the tape on was to see if it would stiffen the shaft to the way it was originally. And although it did stiffen the shaft, it did not make the cue play as originally. The tape probably only stiffened the shaft where the shaft was taped.

And so I decided a better way of going about this could be to cut some length off the ferrule, which should stiffen the shaft much more uniformly. The result: I like it - a very nice cue. Wouldn't change a thing. Again, no problem shooting lights out pool. Never played better. Now what I might do next is buy another one of these cues, cut the weight down, and compare it to my current cue.

cushioncrawler
12-12-2009, 04:18 AM
I reckon that ordinary tape wouldnt aktually stiffen a cue -- so the effekt must be something different.
The extra wt might make the cue "akt" stiffer in some way -- eg more squirt -- even tho in theory (akording to Dr Dave and Bob J etc) tape more than 8" from the tip shoodnt affekt squirt.
madMac.