PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Had This Happen? Supposed Scam?

Gayle in MD
11-21-2009, 10:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Definitely need to pay attention to this as it Christmas shopping season and we are all in a hurry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Received the following email. You have to pay attention all the time.
This is not an indictment of Wal-Mart. This can happen at any store if you use your debit or credit card. With the coming of the holiday shopping season, this is a great reminder to take the time to check our receipts, make sure we get our credit cards back, and just try to slow down and be aware in a time where we are all in a hurry and a little stressed out.
Stay safe, keep looking out for your neighbors and call the police about suspicious activity!!
Officer Ron Francis and Officer Jeff Wamboldt
Kenosha Police Department
A SCAM BEING CARRIED ON BY STORE CLERKS
It happened at Wal-Mart a month ago. I bought a bunch of stuff, over $150, & I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of $40. I told her I didn't request a cash back & to delete it. She said I'd have to take the $40 because she couldn't delete it. I told her to call a supervisor. Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it. I said NO! Taking the $40 would be a cash advance against my Discover & I wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order. So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & re-scan everything! The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed & a cash-back of $20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it. The total came out right. The cashier said that the electronic pad must be defective. Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered me the $40 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

My co worker went to Wal-Mart last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My co worker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for $20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK! My co-worker called Wal-Mart who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this. This is a new scam going on. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in line.

Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards!
This is NOT limited to Wal-Mart, although they are the largest retailer so they have the most incidents

THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION!!!

</div></div>

sack316
11-21-2009, 01:14 PM
I've heard of this before, from another store but I do not recall which one. It is good advice to just slow down and pay attention.

Usually when this happens, it is a cunning cashier pocketing some extra money.

Every pen pad (the thing you sign on or click "ok" etc. at the checkout stand) is SUPPOSED to ask you to confirm the total amount before the transaction is complete. Make sure you get that option and check it when you do check out!

Here's how it works, from my experience:

every store's pen pads are fairly automated for the customer to be able to do everything in the transaction (select debit/credit, cash back, approve total, etc.). Some people can't handle this, or the pad may be faulty and not displaying correctly or any number of things. Generally, the cashier has buttons on their register that can do those same functions in such an event. The cashier may do it at their register, or, appearing to be very friendly and helpful may even reach over and help push buttons on your pen pad for you. Look out for this when it happens, because that's when something may be up!

Main thing, IMO, is to be sure that YOU are the one to "confirm total" at the end. Once that's pressed the transaction is going through and cannot be changed. So if you are sure to be the one to do that, you are good. If the total isn't right, say something right then and it can be cleared out and re-totalled without having to wait or re-scan the transaction.

If a mistake does happen, and it goes through with a wrong total. Immediately get a manager over there and request a post void. The whole thing will have to be done again. If a manager says they cannot perform a post void, they are lying! Also make sure you get a copy of the voided transaction receipt to have as proof for your bank, just in case.

Also of note, is that depending on the bank, a debit transaction will usually post relatively immediately. But the void may not! It may take as long as 3 days for the debit to be removed! (another reason I say to get the void receipt). I suggest calling your bank, and verifying with someone that it shows up in their system. Even though it may take more time for your account to show the change, the info should be in there. Do this at the store with manager present, as your bank may want to speak with a manager to verify what is going on (this also holds the store management accountable to you).

Bottom line, slow down and pay attention. Verify totals before clicking "OK" or signing, and ensure that it is YOU who is doing this part at least.

Sack

sack316
11-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Oh, and on a similar note, be careful at bars or restaurants or anywhere that your credit slip has a place for gratuity to be entered.

You sign a slip with a total, and write in a tip. Later when your server is entering in their totals into the computer, THEY put in the tip amount and that is what is finally sent through to your credit card/bank.

A lot of people just leave their copies behind, and this is prime scam opportunity. Also, something like a $3 tip can easily be changed to an $8 tip, or drop a "1" in front of it, etc. on your slip. A server who then keys it all in, gets their money right then out of the till. So especially one that is about to quit or something like that, can easily pocket a few extra bucks before leaving, at your expense.

And sometimes, it's just a simple mistake when keying in. Usually it is done at the end of the night or shift, and a server may be rushing to get out of there or is worn out. Mistakes can happen when entering in totals.

So make sure to keep your copies and verify online (or on your billing statement) the total amount after a night out. Or, to be safe, leave a cash tip instead and draw a firm line through the tip line on the receipt.

Sack

Gayle in MD
11-21-2009, 01:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard of this before, from another store but I do not recall which one. It is good advice to just slow down and pay attention.

Usually when this happens, it is a cunning cashier pocketing some extra money.

Every pen pad (the thing you sign on or click "ok" etc. at the checkout stand) is SUPPOSED to ask you to confirm the total amount before the transaction is complete. Make sure you get that option and check it when you do check out!

Here's how it works, from my experience:

every store's pen pads are fairly automated for the customer to be able to do everything in the transaction (select debit/credit, cash back, approve total, etc.). Some people can't handle this, or the pad may be faulty and not displaying correctly or any number of things. Generally, the cashier has buttons on their register that can do those same functions in such an event. The cashier may do it at their register, or, appearing to be very friendly and helpful may even reach over and help push buttons on your pen pad for you. Look out for this when it happens, because that's when something may be up!

Main thing, IMO, is to be sure that YOU are the one to "confirm total" at the end. Once that's pressed the transaction is going through and cannot be changed. So if you are sure to be the one to do that, you are good. If the total isn't right, say something right then and it can be cleared out and re-totalled without having to wait or re-scan the transaction.

If a mistake does happen, and it goes through with a wrong total. Immediately get a manager over there and request a post void. The whole thing will have to be done again. If a manager says they cannot perform a post void, they are lying! Also make sure you get a copy of the voided transaction receipt to have as proof for your bank, just in case.

Also of note, is that depending on the bank, a debit transaction will usually post relatively immediately. But the void may not! It may take as long as 3 days for the debit to be removed! (another reason I say to get the void receipt). I suggest calling your bank, and verifying with someone that it shows up in their system. Even though it may take more time for your account to show the change, the info should be in there. Do this at the store with manager present, as your bank may want to speak with a manager to verify what is going on (this also holds the store management accountable to you).

Bottom line, slow down and pay attention. Verify totals before clicking "OK" or signing, and ensure that it is YOU who is doing this part at least.

Sack </div></div>

I only shop with cash/cash, and I always figure up the totals before I go to the checkout...

Even at the grocery store, I can figure it out pretty close, before I get in line...

It's good to know when these scams are going on though...that's a good result of the "internets" as Bush used to say.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Chilled
11-21-2009, 02:17 PM
It's almost certainly not a true story.

Walmart and most other big stores have check out systems which make this virtually impossible to do and assorted versions of this e mail have been passed around inboxes for many years.

As general advice there's certainly no harm in getting into the habit of checking all your debit/credit card slips though.

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/cashback.asp