PDA

View Full Version : Another pool legend passes on!

Scott Lee
11-24-2009, 03:43 PM
It is my sad duty to inform everyone here on the Cue Chalk Board, that Willie Jopling passed away early this morning, at the age of 83. Bill Marshall was my dear friend, one of my mentors, and undoubtably one of the great trick shot artists. His knowledge about all pool games, but paricularly his favorite, one-pocket' has been generously shared with thousands of players over the years, through personal experience and interaction, through his array of books and videos, and his magazine articles, which were published by this magazine (among others) for decades. Willie was a fixture at all of the major pool events, from Derby City, to the U.S. Open, the Super Billiards Expo, to the BCA in Vegas...Bill was always there, supporting the players, and supporting the sport. He was a true Southern gentleman, who spent the better part of 8 decades assembling a vast knowledge of everything pool. He was the very first person to use the term "tangent line", as it applies to pool, in print...which has been a great boon to instructors and students wanting to learn the game, wherever they might be. It is my hope that the BCA finds a way to enshrine this man in the HOF...he truly deserves to be there. He always had a smile, and a story, for any who wanted to listen. He will be terribly missed by me personally, as well as the tens of thousands of people who pool lives he touched, in one way or another! RIP Bill!

Scott Lee

Rich R.
11-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Scott, I know you were very close. I'm sorry for your loss.

wolfdancer
11-25-2009, 01:31 AM
Scott, sorry to hear that. May he rest in peace !!!!

pooltchr
11-25-2009, 05:28 AM
I never met him myself, but used to play with Clyde McKinney quite a bit. Clyde spent a lot of time in his younger years running around in Willie's circle, and I never tired of hearing the stories about them "in the old days".

I agree, he belongs in the HOF.

RIP

Steve

11-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Scott,

That is sad news, Bill was a legend in the game. I feel fortunate to have met him at the US Open CCB dinner last year.

Eric

Paul_Mon
11-25-2009, 04:43 PM
As some have mentioned he was a true southern gentleman. I had the good fortune to meet and converse with Willie many times. It was he who freely gave me some simple yet very effective tips on making shots. Iím honored to own his two volume one pocket tapes and will appreciate them now more than ever. I remember one time reading one of his trick shot article and having to wait 4 months for VF to roll around to get him to explain the gaff involved. Iíll miss the man in the sweater. My sincere condolences to his personal friends and family

RIP Willie

Brian in VA
11-27-2009, 12:08 PM
This is very sad news. I got the chance to meet him at the US Open a couple of years ago. Just one of the nicest people you'd ever meet. Extremely gentle, terrific manners and movements. It was a great honor to speak with him for 15 minutes.

May his family, and you Scott, find solace in the incredible impact he had on so many others and this great game. My condolences to all.

Brian in VA