PDA

View Full Version : Willing to pay for additional troops

eg8r
11-25-2009, 05:58 AM
Alright, maybe this will surprise some, maybe not, but I am partially in agreement with Obey. I honestly think that we should either send in the amount of troops the Generals say they need or we should just back out. If Obama is going to go on National TV and ask for another 30 to 40 thousand troops, in addition to his $2 Trillion dollar HC plan, then he should show us how he is going to pay for it. We are already deep in debt due in large part to this war on terror so it is time to start actually paying for some of it.

Obey is saying if Obama wants to send more troops then fine, raise taxes to pay for it. I am in agreement to a point. I don't have a problem with a tax increase to cover the costs but if and only if Congress is willing to reduce CURRENT spending by the exact same percentage. Meaning, if our taxes are increased by 1% then Congress should reduce the CURRENT spending by 1%. This does not include any bill on the table or any future expenses not already on the books. My suggestion would be to drop the full 1% from the fine arts budget, but they have the option to pick for themselves.

By doing this we will see that Congress is really interested in actually paying for the troops or just trying to block the effort. If Congress is really worried about debt and actually paying for the war on terror then they should be willing to reduce their spending.

eg8r

pooltchr
11-25-2009, 01:31 PM
I think he is going to lay the groundwork for how he intends to surrender, while trying to not make it look like we are giving up.

I predict he will establish some kind of timeline for our withdrawl.

Steve