PDA

View Full Version : Sounds In Tips, Bothersome To Many?

Sid_Vicious
08-15-2002, 09:53 AM
I personally find nothing to bother me in the way a tip sounds as long as it makes the balls go in more confidently that the other tips I've tried. Still I do know more then a couple of players who is annoyed enough to discount a tip just because of the customary sound which it may make, and move away from that line of tips, even after a nearly flawless jaunt of success with this "noisey-nusiance" of a tip.

With a "yes" or "no", what is your trend with the sound factor of different manufacturer's tips???sid

PQQLK9
08-15-2002, 06:59 PM
don't bodder me

Alfie
08-15-2002, 07:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> With a "yes" or "no", what is your trend with the sound factor of different manufacturer's tips? <hr></blockquote> Would you rephrase that question, please?

Sid_Vicious
08-15-2002, 10:48 PM
Ok,,,you've been shooting with various tips searching for the "perfect" play tip and then you run some superior winning days on a particular, harder than you are used to tip. BUT THE SOUND of that tip just gets to ya! Clear enough now? Do you let that sound bother you enough to cut it off and go back to one that is better sounding, hence more comfortable, even though you maybe haven't had the miraculous, instant success as you just did with the "noisy" tip???sid

stickman
08-16-2002, 08:27 AM
I have a very noisy tip on my stick right now, and I really like it. The sound is just another form of feedback. I can tell by the sound the tip makes, immediately, if I've stroked with too much force on a shot that requires a soft stroke.

Sid_Vicious
08-16-2002, 08:45 AM
I'm guilty of looking for a supporting answer,,,,yea I too like the sound feedback as an indicator of stroke. My philosophy is: "If it(tip, cue, stroke, etc) is putting more balls down and making shape better than my usual equiment did, then make the sound you hear a "good thing" to listen for." sid~~~if everything else works yet it makes a different sound, learn to love what you hear

PQQLK9
08-16-2002, 09:23 AM
FWIW ... I hate the sound of aluminum baseball bats...don't care how much farther they hit...what does this have to do with pool? .....absolutely nuttin.../ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

phil in sofla
08-16-2002, 09:58 AM
My tip developed a horrible sounding occasional 'tink,' which made me think I had mishit the shot. Balls would go in, and I really hadn't miscued or anything, but it was a very distracting sound.

My cue maker friend told me it was because a hard tip had become further compressed or something, so I had him swap out the tip, which had plenty of life to it left, just because of how irritating and distracting I found that sound when it showed up occasionally.

Rod
08-16-2002, 11:39 AM
Sid,
My tips are very noisy, too much so for me anyway. They are just plain hard as hell out of the box. I replaced one after two weeks, with the same, because a chunk broke off the side. I like a good signal thru the cue but this is a little too much. As far as shot making, position etc, it makes little difference to me who made the tip. It is important that they hold chalk well, keep there shape and have the feedback, sound/signal that I like. My right arm and whats left between my ears make the balls, position, etc, not the tip! My stroke just needs to adjust a little depending on the tip used. I don't care for soft tips though.

On a side note, sometimes on slow spin shots it sounds like a near miscue and a couple of other players mention that also, so I know it's not just me hearing this stuff. I don't have a good analogy, but you do know what sound to expect when you drop a platter on a tile floor?

Sid_Vicious
08-16-2002, 12:18 PM
People are different, what can I say? sid

Alfie
08-16-2002, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Do you let that sound bother you enough to cut it off and go back to one that is better sounding, hence more comfortable, even though you maybe haven't had the miraculous, instant success as you just did with the "noisy" tip? <hr></blockquote> Sorry, Sid. Didn't understand why you wanted a yes/no reply to "what is your trend to the sound factor of different tips?"

I never met a tip sound I couldn't get along with.

Rod
08-16-2002, 12:46 PM
Your right there Sid, But we all do what we can to improve our game. If its mental,sight, sound or feel, and what we feel as an individual will help us improve, then go for it.
There is no wrong or right in that aspect, just wanted to be clear on that. Sorry if my post was a little testy.

08-16-2002, 02:00 PM
I didn't find it testy. The reality it that pool players are very "individual" to put it politely. I know some people who can whack balls with a wall stick that might have a loose weight bolt, the damn thing would drive me nuts but instead of getting another off the wall, they say "The stick doesn't matter" and they keep shooting. Then there's the other "camp" who have trouble with the built in tink or thonk or whatever, and immediately remodel at the expense of a new tip. Somewhere in the dictionary there has to be word between smart and superstition which fits a healthy percentage of billiard enthusiasts(IMO.) sid

Rod
08-16-2002, 02:21 PM
I think you might be right about that word Sid. If it's very big though I wouldn't know it. In my case it's smart to leave the tip on because I don't know of anything better to replace it with at this time. It's not to big of a deal. When I first used it though it sounded like porcelain hitting the c/b. I just learned to accept it, time being.

DEADSTOKE32
08-16-2002, 10:08 PM
I JUST PUT A NEW TIP ON MY CUE AND IT MAKE'S THE SAME "TWINK"SOUND AND I LOVE IT. CAUSE 2 ME IT'S SOLID.AND IF IT DON'T MAKE THAT SOUND IT NOT RIGHT IN MY MINE AND EAR.NO SOUND IT'S WRONG IN MY WORLD..