PDA

View Full Version : Giving thanks !!!

wolfdancer
11-26-2009, 03:11 PM
On this day of giving thanks,I thank the Lord for my good health to date, at this late stage in my life. I also thank him for sparing me the hatreds,and ego problems, that are so prevalent here....and thank the Lord for steering me to this board where I have been able to see what happens to people when greed, false pride, arrogance, and sometimes downright stupidity can overcome the inherent good, embedded within us all, by your grace,at birth.

cushioncrawler
11-26-2009, 04:04 PM
The date and location of the first Thanksgiving celebration is a topic of modest contention. The traditional "first Thanksgiving" is the celebration that occurred at the site of Plymouth Plantation, in 1621. The Plymouth celebration occurred early in the history of what would become one of the original thirteen colonies that became the United States. The celebration became an important part of the American myth by the 1800s.[citation needed] This Thanksgiving, modeled after celebrations that were commonplace in contemporary Europe, is generally regarded as America's first. Elementary school teacher Robyn Gioia has argued that the earliest attested "thanksgiving" celebration in what is now the United States was celebrated by the Spanish on September 8, 1565 in what is now Saint Augustine, Florida.[2][3] Today, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States and on the second Monday of October in Canada. Thanksgiving dinner is held on this day, usually as a gathering of family members and friends.[citation needed] wiki

cushioncrawler
11-26-2009, 04:08 PM
1619 Thanksgiving, the Virginia colony
On December 4, 1619, 38 English settlers arrived at Berkeley Hundred, which comprised about 8,000 acres (32 kmē) on the north bank of the James River, near Herring Creek, in an area then known as Charles Cittie, about 20 miles (32 km) upstream from Jamestown, where the first permanent settlement of the Colony of Virginia had been established on May 14, 1607.

The group's charter required that the day of arrival be observed yearly as a "day of thanksgiving" to God. On that first day, Captain John Woodleaf held the service of thanksgiving. As quoted from the section of the Charter of Berkeley Hundred specifying the thanksgiving service: "We ordaine that the day of our ships arrival at the place assigned for plantacon in the land of Virginia shall be yearly and perpetually keept holy as a day of thanksgiving to Almighty God."[4]

During the Indian Massacre of 1622, nine of the settlers at Berkeley Hundreds were killed, as well as about a third of the entire population of the Virginia Colony. The Berkeley Hundred site and other outlying locations were abandoned as the colonists withdrew to Jamestown and other more secure points.

After several years, the site became Berkeley Plantation, and was long the traditional home of the Harrison family, one of the First Families of Virginia. In 1634, it became part of the first eight shires of Virginia, as Charles City County, one of the oldest in the United States, and is located along Virginia State Route 5, which runs parallel to the river's northern borders past sites of many of the James River Plantations between the colonial capital city of Williamsburg (now the site of Colonial Williamsburg) and the capital of the Commonwealth of Virginia at Richmond.

cushioncrawler
11-26-2009, 04:09 PM
1621 Thanksgiving, the Pilgrims at Plymouth

Painting of "The First Thanksgiving at Plymouth" By Jennie A. Brownscombe. (1914)The modern Thanksgiving holiday traces its origins from a 1621 celebration at the Plymouth Plantation, where the Plymouth settlers held a harvest feast after a successful growing season. It is this iconic event that is generally referred to as the "First Thanksgiving."

Squanto, a Patuxet Native American who resided with the Wampanoag tribe, taught the Pilgrims how to catch eel and grow corn and served as an interpreter for them (Squanto had learned English while enslaved in Europe and during travels in England). The Pilgrims set apart a day to celebrate at Plymouth immediately after their first harvest, in 1621. At the time, this was not regarded as a Thanksgiving observance; harvest festivals existed in English and Wampanoag tradition alike. Several colonists gave personal accounts of the 1621 feast in Plymouth, Massachusetts. The Pilgrims, most of whom were Separatists, are not to be confused with Puritans who established their own Massachusetts Bay Colony nearby (current day Boston) in 1628 and had very different religious beliefs.[5]

cushioncrawler
11-26-2009, 04:12 PM
The Pilgrims held an even greater Thanksgiving celebration in 1623, after a switch from communal farming to privatized farming finally resulted in a larger harvest.[6] Irregular Thanksgivings continued after favorable events and days of fasting after unfavorable ones. In the Plymouth tradition, a thanksgiving day was a church observance, rather than a feast day.

Woofly -- So, there it iz -- usofa shood be fasting this year -- not feasting.
madMac.

cushioncrawler
11-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Lincoln and the Civil War
Sketch of Thanksgiving in Civil War camp in 1861.
Lithograph, Home To Thanksgiving 1867In the middle of the American Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln, prompted by a series of editorials written by Sarah Josepha Hale,[9] proclaimed a national Thanksgiving Day, to be celebrated on the final Thursday in November 1863:

The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. In the midst of a civil war of unequalled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle, or the ship; the axe had enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consciousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years, with large increase of freedom. No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and voice by the whole American people. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to his tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquility and Union. In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand, and caused the seal of the United States to be affixed. Done at the city of Washington, this third day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and of the independence of the United States the eighty-eighth." Proclamation of President Abraham Lincoln, October 3, 1863.[9]

Since 1863, Thanksgiving has been observed annually in the United States.

Woofly -- So, there it iz -- zero thanksgiving for southerners (ie the loozers), nor injuns, nor slaves, nor atheists.
madMac.

cushioncrawler
11-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Since 1970, a group of Native Americans and other assorted protesters have held a National Day of Mourning protest on Thanksgiving at Plymouth Rock in Plymouth, Massachusetts in the name of social equality and in honor of political prisoners.

cushioncrawler
11-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Squanto (or Tisquantum)
Main article: Squanto
Squanto helped the Plymouth colonists learn to cultivate corn.One of the earlier contacts between the Wampanoag and Europeans dates from the 16th century, when merchant vessels and fishing boats traveled along the coast of present-day New England. Captains of merchant vessels captured Native Americans and sold them as slaves in order to increase their earnings. For example, Captain Thomas Hunt captured several Wampanoag after enticing them aboard his vessel in 1614. He later sold them in Spain as slaves. One of his victims, a Patuxet named Squanto (or Tisquantum), was bought by Spanish monks, who attempted to convert him. Eventually he was set free, and despite his prior experiences he boarded an English ship again in order to accompany an expedition to Newfoundland as a translator. From Newfoundland he made his way back to his homeland in 1619, only to discover that the entire Patuxet tribe, and with them, his family, had fallen victim to an epidemic.[12]

In 1620, religious separatists and others from England who are known today as "Pilgrims" arrived in present-day Plymouth, where Squanto, along with other Wampanoags, taught the starving Pilgrims how to cultivate corn, farm squash and beans, catch fish, and collect seafood.[13]

Woofly -- Instead of thanking God -- usofa shood be thanking Squanto.
madMac.

cushioncrawler
11-26-2009, 04:48 PM
"Wampanoags are a fishing, hunting, and planting people. There was always enough bounty for feasts throughout the year. With four distinct prolific seasons, the Wampanoag harvested different types of food each season. The animal, fish, bird, and plant relatives of the Native people have life cycles and migration patterns which make this possible. Thanksgiving is a commitment to all living things we accept as food to sustain our lives. More important than a feast or occasion, Thanksgiving is a concept from ancient times."
-- Ramona Peters
Mashpee Wampanoag

cushioncrawler
11-26-2009, 04:50 PM
"This is a time of celebration for you-- celebrating an anniversary of the beginning for the white man in America -- a time to look back, a time of reflection. It is with a heavy heart that I look back at what happened to my people."
-- Frank James
Aquinnah Wampanoag
Speech that was to be delivered 1972

wolfdancer
11-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Mac, There was this guy who wasn't a pool player, but who managed a large pool hall, courtesy of his friend, an absentee owner.....he had a few oddities going on "upstairs", and was a big fan of Squanto's, life. He attributed all kinds of mystical powers to him, and once rented out an auditorium,at a cost of a few hundred $$, then gave out free tickets for his recital there, of Squanto's life....(the magical mystery tour???)
The hall wasn't exactly filled to capacity; he could have held the thing in his living room. I have to admit that the story was interesting....over a beer maybe, but not in a theater.

LWW
11-27-2009, 11:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On this day of giving thanks,I thank the Lord for my good health to date, at this late stage in my life. I also thank him for sparing me the hatreds,and ego problems, that are so prevalent here....and thank the Lord for steering me to this board where I have been able to see what happens to people when greed, false pride, arrogance, and sometimes downright stupidity can overcome the inherent good, embedded within us all, by your grace,at birth.</div></div>

Among the most pompous, arrogant, deceitful, disingenuous, and self centered posts I have ever seen posted by anyone, anywhere, any time, on any topic.

I am thankful that today I was able to wake up and be me and not you.

LWW

wolfdancer
11-27-2009, 11:55 AM
And, thanks as well that I don't live in Bumfuk, Ohio, and have to deal with trespassing tea baggers. After you shoot the first 6, it gets harder to keep pleading self defense, on a daily basis.

LWW
11-27-2009, 02:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And, thanks as well that I don't live in Bumfuk, Ohio, and have to deal with trespassing tea baggers. After you shoot the first 6, it gets harder to keep pleading self defense, on a daily basis. </div></div>

That's funny ... you wail and gnash your teeth about the right fomenting hate and violence, and then suggest that non Kool Ade drinkers should be shot.

I give thanks that my parents didn't raise me to be hater, my teachers didn't turn me into a semi literate imbecile, and my pride kept me above becoming a puppet.

Sorry that your life experiences didn't turn out as well.

LWW

wolfdancer
11-29-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm going to hate myself for replying, but I believe we should give credit, where credit is due....You are a self-made man and did that all on your own....and give yourself a little more due...I do not think of you as semi literate...., course I don't think of you as literate either....
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I give thanks that my parents didn't raise me to be hater, my teachers didn't turn me into a semi literate imbecile, and my pride kept me above becoming a puppet. </div></div>
Let me be the first to congratulate you !!!
Didn't you announce grandly over on the Area 9 site, that you were coming over here to put Gayle in her place...I read that as you were going to ...."silence that *****" (I wonder if that post is still available there?)
Well, here it is now only 3673 posts later and.....drum roll...
and:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3474/3197177178_7ca472311c.jpg

Gayle in MD
11-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Wolf,
I don't attempt to debate with people who have been brainwashed by the Right wing propaganda pundits. Their debating styles are exactly the same as Fox, and the Limpballs of the world.

The Right's, Step one, is to completely distort the statements of the opposition.

After that, whats' the point of trying. Some people are so stuck in their group think propaganda, why waste our time trying to infuse any factual information here, when we know in advance, the truth is their enemy?

We've seen, over the years, that even government links, are denied by the right. Clinton's surplus, accounted by the CBO?
Bush's unprecedented deficits, and programs, none of which were paid for? Bush's impending depression, thwarted by Obama's efforts, denied by the right? Countless memos, and intelligence which proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he had a preconcieved agenda to invade Iraq, and then proceeded to lie to the country and the world, over and over again, as our troops wer slaughtered in what was to be known by the highest experts in foreign affairs, as the worst foreign policy decision in our history, all denied by the right.

People who are interested in the facts, and are above petty attacks, distortions, lies, and personal slander, eventually leave this site.

The time is nearing when you, Dick, Q., Sid, Hondo, Moblvs, Mac, Sonoma, and a few others, who left some time ago, will have an excellent alternative for posting current events, debating the issues, and sharing opinions, with mutual respect, and accurate information, untarnished by RW propaganda, slander and lies.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

G.

wolfdancer
11-30-2009, 08:26 PM
There really is no "debate" here,....all I read into the few that post regularly behind every post that you make, and lately that I make, are just a bunch of baseless insults, and just for the purpose of being insulting.
I have no desire to read anything by Ed,lww, or Steve....llotter is interesting, but between his blaming the liberals, and now the Catholics, for everything, it reminded me of a friends uncle that we visited while on vacation. Nice wife,but how did she hook up with that wacko? he played Nazi marching songs and speeches by Hitler for us, on the 78's that he had. I was trying to be polite, but couldn't wait to get out of there.
I'm beginning to have that same desire here....as the posts get crazier. Now we are supposed to "run along" because we are in a minority, according to one member here.
Haven't heard that demand before...but as I posted here the other day about the 24 yr old that was killed because the woman didn't like his hair do.....you don't really know who you are dealing with on these sites. I just go by my gut feeling, and the alarm went off the other day about someone else here.
I think some of the posts here have been steadily increasing in enmity....
Imagine getting killed me some "internut" over what you wrote on the internet, that they didn't agree with

pooltchr
12-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Again, you missed the point. If you really don't like it around here, then the smart thing to do is find another place to be. If you honestly fear for your life or well being, that might be a good option for you as well.
Personally, I don't care what you do. But if you are uncomfortable, or just don't like the place, why would you keep subjecting yourself to such misery.
If I go to a pool room and find a large number of people I don't like, I would find another pool room.
But that's just me, believing in personal responsibility, rather than hoping someone else will make it better for me.

Steve

Gayle in MD
12-01-2009, 04:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There really is no "debate" here,....all I read into the few that post regularly behind every post that you make, and lately that I make, are just a bunch of baseless insults, and just for the purpose of being insulting.
I have no desire to read anything by Ed,lww, or Steve....llotter is interesting, but between his blaming the liberals, and now the Catholics, for everything, it reminded me of a friends uncle that we visited while on vacation. Nice wife,but how did she hook up with that wacko? he played Nazi marching songs and speeches by Hitler for us, on the 78's that he had. I was trying to be polite, but couldn't wait to get out of there.
I'm beginning to have that same desire here....as the posts get crazier. Now we are supposed to "run along" because we are in a minority, according to one member here.
Haven't heard that demand before...but as I posted here the other day about the 24 yr old that was killed because the woman didn't like his hair do.....you don't really know who you are dealing with on these sites. I just go by my gut feeling, and the alarm went off the other day about someone else here.
I think some of the posts here have been steadily increasing in enmity....
Imagine getting killed me some "internut" over what you wrote on the internet, that they didn't agree with </div></div>

Yep, I think there are some dangerous people here, also, and it will be a pleasure when we have an alternative...I, too, have learned a few things lately, which I found to be beyond what I consider healthy and above board...think you know what I mean.

Just a few more weeks now...

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

sack316
12-01-2009, 09:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just a few more weeks now...

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>

Until?

Sack