PDA

View Full Version : Is the tip of the iceberg in the middle of

wolfdancer
11-27-2009, 04:28 PM
the desert? On the news today that Dubai's "spend now and maybe pay later" plan, has developed a hiccup...the market dropped 154 pts, and "maybe".... only the fact that people were on a 4 day holiday, prevented Black Friday from rivaling the free fall of Black Monday (1987). I knew they shouldn't have hired GWB as their financial adviser....and I am now predicting that next week, you'll see his sand castle and honorary emir-ship for sale on Ebay.
If they had asked me....I would have advised them against building a Golf Course in the middle of the desert, because what you end up with is a desert golf course...and then there's that hot ball of sun, overhead.
That made about as much sense as building a library in Charlotte,as once the novelty wears off /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Is it "Goodbye, Dubai"? Well, they can always raise a few bucks by increasing the oil prices, and holding Camel races on the GC
If the stink does hit the fan next week when the market reopens, I'm sure the board's keen financial analysts will put their heads together, and....drum roll... blame President Obama, then go back and finish the funny pages.

LWW
11-27-2009, 05:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tI knew they shouldn't have hired GWB ...

I'm sure the board's keen financial analysts will put their heads together, and....drum roll... blame President Obama</div></div>

To include those twin statements in one post requires self delusion at an unfathomable level.

LWW

pooltchr
11-27-2009, 07:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they had asked me....

<span style="color: #FF0000">They didn't, and probably for a very good reason! </span>

That made about as much sense as building a library in Charlotte, </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">So glad to see that you have finally risen above the level of petty insults.
It's also good of you to admit that you really do believe you are smarter than anyone else.

Not that anyone who has read more than 2 or 3 of your posts could ever be fooled.

Steve </span>

wolfdancer
11-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Aw, shucks....I'm beginning to think you two don't like me???
Well, as long as I have your respect.....
Do you have those photos, or life size cutouts, on your bedroom wall?
Well now, after promising that I would give up replying to your "little man" posts, I done strayed again. I'll have to include that in my confessional, along with my voting for the Kennedy's that lotter says will get me condemned to eternal fire.
Have a nice Holiday Season!!! a little early for seasons greetings, but I can't see myself replying again to you.

LWW
11-28-2009, 05:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't see myself replying again to you. </div></div>

If only I could believe you.

LWW

Chilled
11-28-2009, 10:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If they had asked me....I would have advised them against building a Golf Course in the middle of the desert, because what you end up with is a desert golf course...and then there's that hot ball of sun, overhead.
That made about as much sense as building a library in Charlotte,as once the novelty wears off /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
</div></div>

Then that would have been extremely bad advice that you would have given. Golf is an unqualified success story in Dubai whatever its other current problems.

The first course (EGC) was built in 1987 and to date has had full membership and waiting lists every year since 1989, the first year of The Desert Classic on The European Tour. That tournament is now in its 20th straight year. The EGC club has paid for itself many times over and owes its investors nothing. The Desert Classic is the first non-major tournament every year that Tiger Woods pencils into his schedule.There is also a European Ladies PGA Tour event there every year.

There are now 11 quality golf courses, including the Earth course at Jumeirah Golf Estates where last week they held The European Tour's climax end of season event The Dubai World Cup which is their equivalent of The Fedex Cup final (with similar prize money as the Fedex Cup at stake). That course is brand new. It opened to receive memberships last Monday and is almost full already. All other existing golf clubs have full memberships. More courses are under construction, three of which are nearly finished.

The European PGA Tour has half of its headquarters staff located at a new office in Dubai opened two years ago.

Oddly enough the only course which there is doubt about finishing is the partly completed Tiger Woods designed course. That doubt has far more to do with the connected real estate portion of the project than the golf.

The conditioning of the courses is second to none with well over a million gallons of water per day applied to each course via sophisticated sprinkler systems. Most clubhouses are like 5 star hotels.Golf tourism is huge despite green fees being quite expensive.

You've definitely got a hold of the wrong end of the stick on this subject if you think golf has been a failure in Dubai (or Abu Dhabi which is also on The European PGA Tour and has had full membership and waiting lists every year since opening)

Far from the "novelty wearing off" golf has taken off spectacularly in Dubai over the last 20 years and is still striding ahead at an increased pace. Clearly the same can't be said for the stalling real estate constructon industry.....but they are two entirely different subjects.

Chilled
11-28-2009, 11:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is it "Goodbye, Dubai"? Well, they can always raise a few bucks by increasing the oil prices, and holding Camel races on the GC</div></div>

Missed this bit. Actually Dubai can't raise oil prices. As part of the UAE they are members of OPEC and they have virtually no say on oil prices within that organisation because the amount of oil they produce is almost irrelevant. The capital of UAE, Abu Dhabi, is quite different. They have lots of oil and lots of influence.

Apart from the earlier explanation that golf clubs are all full and thriving...(a) what makes a golf course a potential suitable terrain for camel racing?..... and ...(b) they already have half a dozen purpose built camel racing tracks. Compared to golf camel racing isn't a thriving industry.

wolfdancer
11-28-2009, 12:11 PM
You, uh, don't understand my attempts at parody. It's my way of needling the pompous twits (that's just my opinion) ....the ones that use this npr site as a vehicle for both self promotion, and to cast aspersions upon others.
As for the Golf bit....On a visit to Phoenix, I went out to play around 10a.m....thought it odd that the course had so few players...then figured it out around noon when I may have been the only player. I've played at Palm Springs, Ca...but not in the heat of the summer, and understand that they close the course and flood it to protect it during the summer months. I really don't know what the Dubai weather conditions are like....but used my own experiences to extrapolate about Dubai.
Thank you for the information about pro golf ...I've only been following the tour since 1959 and had no idea that Tiger Woods ever played over there.

Chilled
11-28-2009, 01:17 PM
</div></div>

Re the above 'parodying'....

Fully understand you having a dig at other posters in that way....but surely the point is not that you were parodying but that what you were using in the parodying was about as misinformed as it is possible to be on the subject.

If you choose to remark that you'd have advised them against building a golf course in Dubai because you would have seen it as being as stupid as building a library in a place where the public is less than education hungry that's fine, but that totally loses its effectiveness as part of parody tactic against your targeted pompous twits when the golf course you'd have advised against building has been and still is in reality a roaring success, as are the many other courses which have followed it.

It's a bit like for example inferring that someone you are disagreeing with is as stupid as Einstein.... You just picked a lemon of a comparison to use in your parody that's all. Don't shoot me for pointing that out.

Other readers might also have thought that you knew what you were talking about on the subject of the success or failure of golf courses in Dubai so forgive me for thinking a little more accurate information to correct the misleading picture you conjured up might be useful for them. That's part of what we're all here ostensibly to do isn't it....impart information on things we do know about and soak up information on things we don't, then exchange views?

Your info about Arizona desert golf courses is accepted and understood but even though Dubai is as hot and possibly hotter, there is no need to keep courses under water to keep them alive in summer, given modern maintenance methods and on some courses new hybrid grasses. The number of people playing is certainly lower in summer and the prices consequently a lot cheaper but with buggies, especially the air conditioned ones, there are still plenty of patrons on the courses in those months.

wolfdancer
11-28-2009, 02:10 PM
last time I checked this wasn't some think tank, so if you are trying to impress your peers here, by targeting me with your dissection of every sentence that I write....you are wasting your ******* time . . This site isn't exactly hosting anything like the Buckley/Vidal debates, although from your posts, I'm sure that you see yourself as their equal.
I might not cross every "t" nor dot every "i"...but I ain't going to apologize to the likes of you for that....especially when I see the moronic posts against mine
You may have to find yourself another foil, or dupe, to showcase your amazing talents as I'm finished replying to you.
There is this old joke where the guy says to the girl "I'd like to get into your pants" and she replies "Why, I've already got one a'hole in there, I don't need another"
Did they call up the reserves here...and bring you aboard to shore up the ranks? They have already gotten rid of most of the opposition, and i take it as a compliment that they needed extreee help to silence one angry old man, who doesn't suffer fools gladly

LWW
11-28-2009, 02:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You, uh, don't understand my attempts at parody.</div></div>

You, uh, don't understand English.

LWW

pooltchr
11-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Don't worry. Wolfie threatens to ignore everyone who disagrees with him, or corrects his misinformed posts. Rest assured, he will always respond to your posts.

He's simply a legend in his own mind.

Steve

Chilled
11-28-2009, 03:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">last time I checked this wasn't some think tank, so if you are trying to impress your peers here, by targeting me with your dissection of every sentence that I write....you are wasting your ******* time . . This site isn't exactly hosting anything like the Buckley/Vidal debates, although from your posts, I'm sure that you see yourself as their equal.
I might not cross every "t" nor dot every "i"...but I ain't going to apologize to the likes of you for that....especially when I see the moronic posts against mine
You may have to find yourself another foil, or dupe, to showcase your amazing talents as I'm finished replying to you.
There is this old joke where the guy says to the girl "I'd like to get into your pants" and she replies "Why, I've already got one a'hole in there, I don't need another"
Did they call up the reserves here...and bring you aboard to shore up the ranks? They have already gotten rid of most of the opposition, and i take it as a compliment that they needed extreee help to silence one angry old man, who doesn't suffer fools gladly

</div></div>

What an unecessarily rude and angry post! If I had given you the same additional information face to face in the pool hall (and I don't see why it wouldn't be ok to do that as it was given politely and constructively) would you answer me with an aggressive rant like your post?

Right now I feel like I've walked into a movie cinema half way through a film. I have no idea what you are talking about regarding people wanting to 'silence' you let alone know who they are. I am one person with one totally independent mind and have zero, absolutely zero against you. I can say with absolute certainty that I have never tried to silence anyone at anytime in my life, other than my wife although that would have to go down as 'wanting' rather than 'trying' as I value life. Why would anyone on a pool site want to "silence you"?

Who's asking you to apologise for anything? Pointing out obvious misinformation hardly qualifies as "dissecting every sentence you write". You posted something with info that was way off the mark and you were offered more info, nothing more to it than that. A very minor matter and hardly cause for drama queenish hysterics.

wolfdancer
11-28-2009, 04:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I had given you the same additional information face to face in the pool hall (and I don't see why it wouldn't be ok to do that as it was given politely and constructively) would you answer me with an aggressive rant like your post? </div></div>
WHY would you feel that you have to go around correcting people, with your "constructive" criticism? you some kind of Sensei?
I don't need your remarks, didn't ask for your input,don't care for, or agree with your input... and hope to f**k this is the end of this BS.

As to dealing with you in a pool room..(some kind of implied threat there, eh?) I've been around enough bars and poolrooms, that I'd tune you out before you got the chance to pontificate.
You came on here, picked apart my post for no apparent reason then to be insulting, you close your reply with another equally insulting reply...and now you want to be thought of as the good guy here????
It seems to me that you might have been invited here to target me, and probably Gayle...but sorry, she is taking the Holidays off.
And if you weren't....then this should be the last of any discussion between us. I'd add in a few choice expletives, but I'd rather see this end right now.
Now you can go ahead and get the last word in.....I'm done...and already have you on ignore

Chilled
11-28-2009, 11:41 PM
[quote=wolfdancer] <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
WHY would you feel that you have to go around correcting people, with your "constructive" criticism? you some kind of Sensei?
I don't need your remarks, didn't ask for your input,don't care for, or agree with your input... and hope to f**k this is the end of this BS.</div></div>

I'm not "going around correcting people and offering constructive criticism". In this case there wasn't any criticism of you at all involved, other than in your head, just constructive information. You think people should ask you if you want their input before they post? Or should we just somehow know?

What you are effectively saying is that discussion of anything you post isn't permitted. You are saying that someone who knows something you posted bears no relation to the facts should just pretend what you posted is wholly correct or not post at all.

That's not what I understand discussion boards to be for. If everyone pretends that everyone else is in possession of accurate information in every post there would be no discussion and no board.We're not talking about opinions, nobody can make those right or wrong,we're just talking about being given more information about something very tangible and very easily checked if right or wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As to dealing with you in a pool room..(some kind of implied threat there, eh?) I've been around enough bars and poolrooms, that I'd tune you out before you got the chance to pontificate.</div></div>

Holy chit!.......not content with seeing criticism where none exists now you're seeing threats!? How can you possibly interpret my words as a threat? I meant that you answered perfectly normal everyday unthreatening conversation with aggressive rudeness for no apparent good reason. Ironically, as it happens you were actually the one who was pontificating about something we now know you knew very little about.

I meant that if you had said what was in your first post by addresing your remarks towards everybody in general within earshot in the pool room (which is the equivalent of what we are all doing when posting in a thread) and if someone in the pool room had then commented to you in quite a normal and unthreatening tone "That's all well and good but did you know that what you said about Dubai golf isn't actually how it is".....would you have replied in the following way?......"Who the f*** wants to know that? Keep your information to yourself. If I say that's how desert golf is that's the end of it. You can't come in here and say different. I don't care if the info you are giving is bang on correct.I don't want to hear it and don't want anyone else in the bar to hear it.I think you've been invited into this bar to target me and the barmaid who is on holiday by the way."

Does that sound like quite normal real life behaviour to you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You came on here, picked apart my post for no apparent reason then to be insulting, you close your reply with another equally insulting reply...and now you want to be thought of as the good guy here???? </div></div>

Your post wasn't picked apart. There was no insulting and I was already on here making a comment in another thread when I saw your post and thought, mistakenly apparently, that it might be constructive to post relevant further information on the subject.....you know, kinda like what posters on a discussion board do?

You seem to think you should shoot the messenger when you are informed something you have posted is incorrect. You started with the aggression not me. I have simply refused to join in with aggression in return.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It seems to me that you might have been invited here to target me, and probably Gayle...but sorry, she is taking the Holidays off.
And if you weren't....then this should be the last of any discussion between us. I'd add in a few choice expletives, but I'd rather see this end right now.
Now you can go ahead and get the last word in.....I'm done...and already have you on ignore </div></div>

?????????You think that I was invited on to a discussion board to " target" you??????? WTF??!!

You post something, get given some cast iron relevant information to correct a misapprehension and then somehow strangely conclude that the person giving you the information has been "invited" on to a board to "target" you?????? Have you any idea how completely off the wall that appears??????? Invited by who???? What has somebody called Gayle got to do with this?????

YOU'D rather "see this end right now"???!!! Someone posts politely and constructively, you reply like a demented conspiracy theorist and then say that YOU'D like to see it end right now as if you are some kind of injured party? Superb!

What possible point is there in telling me you'd like to have added a few expletives? Feel free, they'd fit right in with your strange and unecessary aggression. I'll not blush.

LWW
11-29-2009, 01:13 AM
Wolfie just hates ... it's who he is.

LWW

llotter
11-29-2009, 05:57 AM
For the past half century or more, America has not only been the safe harbor for millions of immigrants but She has also provided an umbrella of protection. In addition, the rest of the world could live a more secure life financially knowing that the Overseer was healthy and will be there in times of need.

Now, with The Moron in charge, that sense of security is being thrown asunder and havoc will be showing it ugly head everywhere, even in the 'enlightened' portions of the world. The very roots of civility are being yanked out and transformed.

Chilled
11-29-2009, 06:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the past half century or more, America has not only been the safe harbor for millions of immigrants but She has also provided an umbrella of protection. In addition, the rest of the world could live a more secure life financially knowing that the Overseer was healthy and will be there in times of need.

Now, with The Moron in charge, that sense of security is being thrown asunder and havoc will be showing it ugly head everywhere, even in the 'enlightened' portions of the world. The very roots of civility are being yanked out and transformed. </div></div>

Do you really believe all that Republican flag waving anti-Obama tosh? Whatever the great historical positive contributions of USA to the world, the fiscal incompetence of the same USA (long before 'The Moron') has played a huge part in causing the current financial woes now being experienced by the world. The underlying reasons behind that have precious little to do with the current President, though granted he doesn't seem all that well equipped to think a way out of it.

wolfdancer
11-29-2009, 07:12 AM
Geez, now I'm not sure which is more appealing about playing golf in Dubai
The $1500 per night rooms
The 52 Celsius temp(125 F)....the max allowed by law to be reported
or
the little piece of astro turf you get to carry around to hit your shots off of
or
putting on oiled, sand greens
I'd ask the locals....but it turns out they don't play Golf.(Can't say as I blame them)
But maybe they do have some a/c courses now, as I'm only quoting from one site....where it also mentioned that American tourists weren't exactly flocking to the place
Golf Mecca (http://http://www.worldgolf.com/travel/dubai-golf-overview-458.htm)
But...."no taxes, free health care, and a zero-crime rate" it sounds even better then Detroit.
And re: the Palm Springs, Ca courses ....I wasn't there during the summer when the ground temps can reach 130, so maybe the residents were lying when they told me they closed the courses for the summer and flooded them to protect the fairways and greens. I can't even grow grass up here, while all my neighbors have nice lawns, so what do I know about agronomy....but also don't think you have to be a f*****g expert on something to kid about it....
Maybe the board admin here could appoint a chief of protocol, and one couldn't post until it had met with, say, Arty's approval
O

Qtec
11-29-2009, 07:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chilled</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the past half century or more, America has not only been the safe harbor for millions of immigrants but She has also provided an umbrella of protection. In addition, the rest of the world could live a more secure life financially knowing that the Overseer was healthy and will be there in times of need.

Now, with The Moron in charge, that sense of security is being thrown asunder and havoc will be showing it ugly head everywhere, even in the 'enlightened' portions of the world. The very roots of civility are being yanked out and transformed. </div></div>

Do you really believe all that Republican flag waving anti-Obama tosh? Whatever the great historical positive contributions of USA to the world, the fiscal incompetence of the same USA (long before 'The Moron') has played a huge part in causing the current financial woes now being experienced by the world. The underlying reasons behind that have precious little to do with the current President, though granted he doesn't seem all that well equipped to think a way out of it. </div></div>

Good post and I agree.

the truth- Who burned the house down? (http://crooksandliars.com/tags/matt-taibbi)

Q

Chilled
11-29-2009, 09:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Geez, now I'm not sure which is more appealing about playing golf in Dubai</div></div>

Your link wouldn't work for me and I'm not sure what the purpose or point of your post is anyway but lets's deal with what you've raised one by one.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The $1500 per night rooms</div></div>

Rooms are available in Dubai at anything from about $50/- up to many 000's of dollars. I'm not sure why you've chosen to highlight $1,500/-. A very nice 4 star hotel (with much bigger rooms and comparable facilities to at least 4 star USA), depending on the time of year will set you back on average anything from about $125/- to $500/-. Anybody who tells you different has no idea what they are talking about.$1,500/- rooms aren't commonplace.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 52 Celsius temp(125 F)....the max allowed by law to be reported</div></div>

Urban legend, no such thing as a "maximum allowed by law to be reported" exists. July and August temps on a Dubai golf course at noon would normally be in the ball park region of 40 degrees to 47 degrees.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or the little piece of astro turf you get to carry around to hit your shots off of or putting on oiled, sand greens</div></div>

Why are you changing the subject to the procedures when playing on sand golf courses? There are only two recognisable sand courses left now in UAE, one is in Sharjah a few minutes from Dubai and the other in Abu Dhabi a short drive down the motorway.They existed many years before the first grass course was built in the late 80's and several other old sand courses have closed down as grass courses took over.

Naturally the golfers at those two sand courses have little bits of astroturf that they use when their ball is on the sand fairway, the edges of which are marked by stakes. When off the 'fairway' they have to play the ball as it lies. What on earth has this got to do with the subject of the dozen or so championship grass golf courses in the area? Are you suggesting that grass championship courses have oiled sand greens and that grass course golfers are routinely asked to play off astroturf mats? Are you mad?

Here's the websites of the only two good quality sand courses(good quality only in the relative context of being humble sand courses and not grass) ....

1. Sharjah Wanderers Golf Club (Not to be confused with Sharjah Golf and Shooting club which is a quality 9 hole grass course)

http://www.sharjahgolf.com/default.asp

2. Al Ghazal Golf Club

http://www.alghazalgolf.ae

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd ask the locals....but it turns out they don't play Golf.(Can't say as I blame them)</div></div>

It's certainly true that there is not a huge proportion of UAE nationals playing golf but it isn't in any sense true to say they don't play. Interest among nationals is growing. They have a national team, a national coach and a national junior programme and they take part in world amateur team events.

Khalid Youssef (a +3 amateur) was recently the first UAE national to ever play in a European Tour event when he played in The Desert Classic last year and there are over 40 scratch or better UAE national golfers and a host of higher handicappers.The national poulation of the entire country is tiny to begin with.

The Emirates Golf Federation is affiliated to The Royal and Ancient St andrews and is a member of The Asia Pacific Golf Federation.

Their website is here...

http://www.ugagolf.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But maybe they do have some a/c courses now, as I'm only quoting from one site....where it also mentioned that American tourists weren't exactly flocking to the place
Golf Mecca (http://http://www.worldgolf.com/travel/dubai-golf-overview-458.htm) </div></div>

Im not sure what you mean by an "a/c course". Are you referring to my comment that many of the top class courses have buggies with a/c's fitted? Are you saying that "maybe" there are some top class golf course facilities in Dubai and its surrounds? There's certainly no 'maybe' about that.

Since you now appear interested and are only "guessing", albeit apparently only in connection with a goal of trying to prove me wrong, you will find the details of some of the facilities (including air conditioned buggies at some) at several of Dubai's championship standard courses at each of their individual club web sites below....

1/2. Emirates Golf Club incorporating The Majlis Course designed by Peter Harradine and The Faldo Course designed by Nick.

http://dubaigolf.com/egc/

3. Dubai Creek Golf and Yacht Club

http://dubaigolf.com/dcgyc/

4. Arabian Ranches Club designed by Ian Baker Finch

http://www.arabianranchesgolfdubai.com

5. The Montgomerie Golf Club designed by Monty.

http://www.themontgomerie.com

6. The Els Club designed by Ernie.

http://elsclubdubai.com

7. Al Badia Golf Club.

http://albadiagolfclubdubai.ae (link presently not working for some reason)

8. Al Hamra Golf Club.

http://alhamragolf.com

9. Tower links Golf Club

http://towerlinks.com/golf.asp

10/11/12. Jumeirah Golf Estates designed by Greg Norman and Vijay Singh, two of which still under construction, the other hosted The Dubai World Cup.

http://jumeirahgolfestates.com

13. Abu Dhabi Golf Club

http://adgolfclub.com

There are several more not listed but you should get the picture by now from those. Dubai in general for sure appears to be in some serious trouble but their golf industry has been a remarkable success and seems to be doing far better than their other fields of endeavour.It's not realistic to call it a novelty nor to suggest it has or will wear off. It started over 20 years ago with one course and against all odds that weather and an initially indifferent and very small population has thrown at it has gone forward in leaps and bounds ever since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But...."no taxes, free health care, and a zero-crime rate" it sounds even better then Detroit.</div></div>

What has taxes got to do with visiting golfers? As it happens there are taxes on golf and there's no such thing as free health care. There does seem to be a low crime rate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And re: the Palm Springs, Ca courses ....I wasn't there during the summer when the ground temps can reach 130, so maybe the residents were lying when they told me they closed the courses for the summer and flooded them to protect the fairways and greens. I can't even grow grass up here, while all my neighbors have nice lawns, so what do I know about agronomy....but also don't think you have to be a f*****g expert on something to kid about it....
Maybe the board admin here could appoint a chief of protocol, and one couldn't post until it had met with, say, Arty's approval
O </div></div>

????????Read the thread again. Nobody said or hinted a single solitary word about you either 'lying' or being 'wrong' about what happens in USA desert course locations. In fact it was the exact opposite, what you said about Arizona golf courses was specifically referred to by me as being "accepted and understood". How on earth do you translate that to you being accused of lying or being wrong about it?????? But go ahead and just invent that strawman if it suits your desire to paint yourself as a 'target'.

You originally posted something about dubai golf based on wrong information and it was corrected, that's all. You're the one who made the song and dance about being corrected and who unbelievably is now following it up by the strange tactic of posting yet more completely wrong information on the same subject.As you can see you've now been corrected again, so feel free to whinge again....or have another go at trawling up something to support your poor argument.

No doubt this purely informative post in reply will also be considered an "attack" in your eyes and you'll revert to something along the lines of saying you didn't want any information anyway. However for someone not interested you sure seemed quite happy enough to find and post (wrong) information that you mistakenly thought would back you up.

wolfdancer
11-29-2009, 04:46 PM
you should run for office yourself, having this amazing gift of clarity about the evils of the left, and the equally amazing short term memory lapse about the right.
I think you should start small and test the waters. A soapbox, and a cheap Tandy battery powered megaphone, and more important...a street corner. you may need to buy a permit to avoid being ticketed for <s>llottering</s>, er loitering....but as soon as you build up a following, the groundswell support could take you ....