PDA

View Full Version : Your know you are a pool player when...

bradb
11-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Obviuosly I have nothing better to do than start a silly topic like this, but I was watching a Jeff Foxworthy comedy video, "you know you are a redneck when."

You know you are a pool player when....

-the only beautiful women you can watch without thinking about sex is Janette Lee.

-your wife says "me or the table'... and you need time to answer.

-you are driving on vacation through small towns and all you notice is if they have any pool halls.

-Your closet contains at least 3 old broken pool cues. (trunk of your car optional.)

-there are chalk cubes left laying all around your house.

-the only time you can stay on your dotors diet is when your are playing through dinner.

-you can't hear Paul Newmans name without imagining a 9 ball game.

-You hate the movie "Pool hall junkies" but you still watch it every time its on.

-you may lay awake at night thinking about a shot you missed 5 years ago.

Feel free to add your own. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

wolfdancer
11-30-2009, 06:15 PM
So this is what RandyG had in mind when he says you don't know...etc
Now I know....
I used to go to Reno ( 235mi each way) for the twice a year Reno Open,( for 10 straight years) and watch 11 hours of pool daily for the entire event. Make the 190 rd trip drive to Sacramento, several times a year for the smaller events, bought over 120 Accu-stat tapes...etc....and I don't even like the game, except as a passing interest; I'm more of a golf nut, or was.

cushioncrawler
11-30-2009, 07:37 PM
You know you are a billiards player when....

On the morning of a match u wake early and karnt go back to sleep.

During the day u praktis so much that in your match u karnt see or hit straight.
madMac.

Rich R.
11-30-2009, 08:13 PM
You know you're a pool player when........

You pick up the phone early in the morning and call the hotel in Chesapeake, Va. to ask if they will be open during the soon to arrive hurricane. When they say "yes", you jump in the car and drive over 4 hours, directly into the path of the hurricane, to watch the U.S. Open.

True story. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

wolfdancer
11-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Mac, wish that I had taken up billiards, even Snooker, instead of pool. Doubt that I would ever have gotten past mediocre, but I like the creativeness of billiards, and the precision of snooker.

Bambu
12-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Great post, Brad!

You know you are a player when you think of Jackie Gleason as a pool player first, and an actor second.

Njhustler1
12-01-2009, 01:36 PM
you know you're a pool player when...

you sit through an entire Twilight Zone marathon just to catch "A Game of Pool" episode

bradb
12-01-2009, 03:34 PM
You know you are a pool player when...

You are on a cruise to the Mediterranean, eveyone is on deck to watch the sun set over the Rock of Gibralter.... but you are down in your cabin watching the British snooker championship on TV!!!

(Note. I'm still in the dog house over that, but it was live!!) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

bradb
12-01-2009, 03:56 PM
You know you are a pool player when.... you read this list and say to yourself, "I would do that!"

Theses posts are all so true, I've read them all at least 3 time, If we get enough we should put together a book.

Note to Rich (Thats a topper!!)

Brad

JoeW
12-01-2009, 04:45 PM
You know ... when all I want for Christmas is pool stuff.

Njhustler1
12-01-2009, 06:19 PM
...you have to stop reading the pool forums for the night so you can leave the house for your pool league match.

Rich R.
12-01-2009, 06:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know you are a pool player when.... you read this list and say to yourself, "I would do that!"

Theses posts are all so true, I've read them all at least 3 time, If we get enough we should put together a book.

Note to Rich (Thats a topper!!)

Brad </div></div>
Note to Brad. It was hurricane Isabelle and we all had a blast. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Bambu
12-01-2009, 10:20 PM
You know youre a pool player when you are stupid enough to wonder if they have pool tables on cruise ships.

Njhustler1
12-02-2009, 09:37 AM
...you see the sign in the hotel for "Pool - this way", and you know its the swimming pool but you double check just in case.

pooltchr
12-02-2009, 11:04 AM
...when two of your pets are named Meucci and Eight Ball.

Steve

JoeW
12-02-2009, 01:31 PM
There are some good ones here and all too true. Now I gotta get a cat and name him LOL

Soflasnapper
12-03-2009, 10:09 AM
...when you decide to augment your annual one week of vacation used to travel to the US Open by adding a couple more vacations to see other pool events.

...when all your pants legs get a big soiled stripe area from rail dust on the table.

...when you realize that to set up a day to play somebody, you have to cancel playing that day with the regular scheduled match.

...when the only cds you still play are subliminal pool suggestion cds.

...when you're going to a local strip club and ignoring the women to play on the bar box

Bambu
12-03-2009, 10:37 AM
....when you actually ponder the cost of being buried with your pool table.

bradb
12-03-2009, 11:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....when you actually ponder the cost of being buried with your pool table. </div></div>

I was considering just my cue, but I like that even better.

I'm going to print all theses post out and read them at our Christamas pool league banquet. Should be a hoot. -Brad

bradb
12-03-2009, 11:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Njhustler1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...you see the sign in the hotel for "Pool - this way", and you know its the swimming pool but you double check just in case. </div></div>

I'm always disapointed when I see that damn water! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Njhustler1
12-03-2009, 11:54 AM
...regardless of the table, when you know for a fact you'll be buried with your cue.

cushioncrawler
12-03-2009, 05:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...when two of your pets are named Meucci and Eight Ball. Steve</div></div>When we had 2 budgies we called one Wally (Walter Lindrum's nickname) and the other Dolly (Wally's niece, who ran hiz room, and could play some, and iz still kicking, and owns Wally's family home and Wally's table).
madMac.

Fran Crimi
12-03-2009, 06:32 PM
.....you panic that you lost your cue and go frantically looking all over the poolroom for it when it's hanging on your shoulder the whole time. (Been there, done that)

Soflasnapper
12-04-2009, 01:54 PM
...when in a dream about playing the best player in the room you wonder how much weight to ask for

bradb
12-04-2009, 02:11 PM
You are the only guy in the bar who knows that a player on the TV deliberately missed his shot for a safety!

(No use trying to explain, you'll only get a weird looks.)

dg-in-centralpa
12-04-2009, 02:12 PM
I know someone who was buried with his cue. Unfortunately it was an old Palmer with the gold foil. Damn....

DG

Wity
12-05-2009, 09:05 PM
..when you complain that the grown ups playing snooker on the big tables pay the same rate per hour.

That'll go down well here i bet /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Soflasnapper
12-10-2009, 08:05 PM
...when you hear a cue stick hit the floor and look around in a panic to see where your stick is.

bradb
12-11-2009, 07:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So this is what RandyG had in mind when he says you don't know...etc
Now I know....
I used to go to Reno ( 235mi each way) for the twice a year Reno Open,( for 10 straight years) and watch 11 hours of pool daily for the entire event. Make the 190 rd trip drive to Sacramento, several times a year for the smaller events, bought over 120 Accu-stat tapes...etc....and I don't even like the game, except as a passing interest; I'm more of a golf nut, or was. </div></div>

Wolf, I have a friend who drives down to Oregon every year to see the womens pro tournament on the coast.

One year he had to work late on friday... so that meant he had to drive all night to get down there in time for the first matches. Since he had to be back here in Canada early Monday... he had to drive back all night Sunday. I asked him if he got any sleep on Saturday night, and he said very little... he had to get some playing time in!

Another day in the life of a pool nut! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Brad

1Time
12-11-2009, 09:57 PM
You are a good pool player when you accept that anyone with a pool cue in their hands shooting pool is a pool player too.

HomeBilliards
12-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Aha.. great post!

bradb
12-20-2009, 01:08 PM
...when your wife buys you a pool cue from Walmart for Christmas and now you're going to have to play with it so as not to hurt her feelings. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

KellyStick
01-18-2011, 06:08 PM
When you go to someones house that has a pool table with stuff other than balls on it (like clothes from the drier)and you chastise them for disrespecting the pool table.

When you know who said "I don't have to make that shot in a million years I made it just now!" and "first of all, you don't say it right!"

When the crack of the break sound makes you perk straight up with eyes wide open and start looking for where the sound came from.

When the clack of a stick hitting the floor makes you cringe in pain.

When you say things like "when I become ruler of the universe I'll make those big hand chalk blocks in pool halls illegal!"

When you say things like "are you going to talk on the phone or shoot pool? Pick one and be quick about it!"

When you say things like "What? I won? It's over? I was just starting to get into this match!" Or "what could be better than double hill... sweet that means more pool"

When you finish the rack and notice that the pool hall has caught on fire, exploded and there is nothing left but destruction and you wonder "when did that happen" as you reach for your break stick.

Chopstick
01-20-2011, 10:49 PM
When after all the years of dedicated practice, all the battles, all the disappointments, all the frustration, in one moment it all just falls away, and you realize that being a pool player is no longer something you wanna be, it's what you are.

Sid_Vicious
01-21-2011, 12:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...when two of your pets are named Meucci and Eight Ball.

Steve </div></div>

That's funny Steve. sid

bradb
01-21-2011, 06:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When after all the years of dedicated practice, all the battles, all the disappointments, all the frustration, in one moment it all just falls away, and you realize that being a pool player is no longer something you wanna be, it's what you are. </div></div>

Amen! Brad

bradb
01-21-2011, 06:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KellyStick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you go to someones house that has a pool table with stuff other than balls on it (like clothes from the drier)and you chastise them for disrespecting the pool table.

When you know who said "I don't have to make that shot in a million years I made it just now!" and "first of all, you don't say it right!"

When the crack of the break sound makes you perk straight up with eyes wide open and start looking for where the sound came from.

When the clack of a stick hitting the floor makes you cringe in pain.

When you say things like "when I become ruler of the universe I'll make those big hand chalk blocks in pool halls illegal!"

When you say things like "are you going to talk on the phone or shoot pool? Pick one and be quick about it!"

When you say things like "What? I won? It's over? I was just starting to get into this match!" Or "what could be better than double hill... sweet that means more pool"

When you finish the rack and notice that the pool hall has caught on fire, exploded and there is nothing left but destruction and you wonder "when did that happen" as you reach for your break stick.

</div></div>
Kelly, you may be a pool player but you are also a great comedy writer! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Brad

Deeman3
01-21-2011, 08:38 PM
This one is the absolute truth for me!

When your wife gives 10% of your tournament and gambling winnings to the church and she tells them how you got it and they don't offer to give it back!

L_Vigus
01-22-2011, 09:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...when your wife buys you a pool cue from Walmart for Christmas and now you're going to have to play with it so as not to hurt her feelings. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif </div></div>

A real pool junkys wife would know better.

A real pool junky would care more about the cue he shoots with than his wife's feelings!

Larry

bradb
01-22-2011, 12:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L_Vigus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...when your wife buys you a pool cue from Walmart for Christmas and now you're going to have to play with it so as not to hurt her feelings. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif </div></div>

A real pool junky would care more about the cue he shoots with than his wife's feelings!

Larry </div></div>

You must not be married Larry!

JasonWDTX
01-22-2011, 03:28 PM
When you are at at bar and someone really good beats everyone off the table so bad everyone quits playing except you. You realize losing 20 games in a row is really a training lesson that will make you a better player rather than getting mad that you aren't winning and quitting. And the table is only 50 cents to rack in my area.

L_Vigus
01-22-2011, 06:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L_Vigus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...when your wife buys you a pool cue from Walmart for Christmas and now you're going to have to play with it so as not to hurt her feelings. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif </div></div>

Larry </div></div>

You must not be married Larry! </div></div>

Yep! twice and both know not to buy me a cue from Walmart. Life is to short to shoot with a junk cue!

When I was ten my mom bought my dad a cue from Sears. Nice cue. Five piece butt with weight rings and ramine wood shaft. Some how he keeped forgetting it when he went to shot pool. When I was 19 we bought him a nice Adam. He never left home without it. Till he missed one shot to many. Then it was a five piece cue.

I learned real quick to teach the people close to you, what is important to you. Keeps from having hurt feelings for the gift giver and guilty feelings for the reciever.

Larry

JasonWDTX
01-22-2011, 10:19 PM
I got lucky, my soon to be wife bought me a cue for my birthday, but her mom plays league so she had her get it for me! When she asked what I wanted for Christmas I said anything pool related but added "NOT anything from walmart" since that is her favorites store. lol She made the trip to Tulsa to the pool hall counter. You are right, if they don't love the game as much as you, then you have to make comments so they don't get you something you don't want.

01-25-2011, 01:00 PM
You are in a different city and open a phonebook to tear out the "billiards" page.

Eric &gt;missed this thread in 2009

bradb
01-25-2011, 02:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are in a different city and open a phonebook to tear out the "billiards" page.

Eric &gt;missed this thread in 2009 </div></div>

Great post Eric!

Here's one.... When you return to your home town and find out your old pool hall is now a nail and hair salon, but you go inside anyway and look around while the women eye you warily.

bradb
02-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Holy cow! this post has over 8400 hits.

I was thinking that if anyone wants to publish this material for a pool book they have my permission. Only one problem... with 8400 hits, every pool player in the country has read it now!

Brad