PDA

View Full Version : Global Ice Age Coming!

Deeman3
12-03-2009, 10:11 AM
In the film, "The Day After Tomorrow," the world gets gripped in ice within the span of just a few weeks. Now research now suggests an eerily similar event might indeed have occurred in the past.

Looking ahead to the future, there is no reason why such a freeze shouldn't happen again — and in ironic fashion it could be precipitated if ongoing changes in climate force the Greenland ice sheet to suddenly melt, scientists say.
<span style="color: #FF0000">I know, I know, this has nothing to do with Global Warming and Gore's income but you have to at least see the irony here. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

</span>
Starting roughly 12,800 years ago, the Northern Hemisphere was gripped by a chill that lasted some 1,300 years. Known by scientists as the Younger Dryas and nicknamed the"Big Freeze," geological evidence suggests it was brought on when a vast pulse of fresh water — a greater volume than all of North America's Great Lakes combined — poured into the Atlantic and Arctic Oceans.

LWW
12-03-2009, 11:34 AM
And as the globe cools, the Gormons and Obamatrons will insist that they have been warning about this all along and never ever believed in global warming.

If you doubt that ... witness how they all insist today they believe in global warming and never ever believed in global cooling, even though they were rabid over the coming ice age. Until, of course, the Goremon church decided warming was the demon.

LWW

wolfdancer
12-03-2009, 02:26 PM
I had read about the desalination of the ocean and it's effect on the gulf Stream...and so on until ...global warming causes global freezing???
I doubt it'll happen in my lifetime, but you might want to stock up on electric blankets

Deeman3
12-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Jack,

You have hit upon an investment and marketing ploy! Electric Snuggies!

I design, you market and Sid models them!

You in? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

pooltchr
12-04-2009, 08:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jack,

You have hit upon an investment and marketing ploy! Electric Snuggies!

I design, you market and Sid models them!

You in? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Make 'em solar powered and we can probably get some of the stimulus money to start a "green" company!
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Steve

wolfdancer
12-04-2009, 02:02 PM
I believe that you need both psychological help, and spiritual guidance. Maybe if you took your act down to the corner bar, Someone might give you a little bit of both.

wolfdancer
12-06-2009, 12:53 AM
I see another interesting article on GW on Yahoo today....
GW (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/themostsurprisingresultsofglobalwarming;_ylt=AjMP1 4VrC6B7QUfuK_0O5kNZEo14)
Before I buy into this....is the consensus by the rw climatologists here, that this is not really happening,
some planted story by Al Gore, and come photoshopped pix?.....or that it might be happening,
but nuthin we have done to to cause it, and nothing we can do to
lessen it's effects?
Is the term Global warming itself, an "optical illusion'?
Any contingency plans being drawn up by the great State of Ala. to repel the Yankee invaders, should NYC, and a few other coastal cities, slip under the sea?

sack316
12-06-2009, 01:11 AM
All I know is it's way too cold here for me and they are talking snow for us. US?

Crank up the SUV and bring back 80's hair styles! I is cold!

Sack

pooltchr
12-06-2009, 09:30 AM
An interesting article on the subject

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091206/ap_on_re_eu/climate

While it is hard to argue that cutting pollution isn't a good thing, using the tactic of claiming we are causing global warming may have turned out to be the wrong tactic.

Steve

LWW
12-06-2009, 11:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An interesting article on the subject

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091206/ap_on_re_eu/climate

While it is hard to argue that cutting pollution isn't a good thing, using the tactic of claiming we are causing global warming may have turned out to be the wrong tactic.

Steve </div></div>

Indeed ... but once must understand that Marxism cannot be sold on it's merits.

It must be cloaked in something which is hard to argue against and then slowly spoon fed to the AMERICAN IDOL watching masses.

Here's a gem from the first major political party to attempt to use ecological concerns to control the economy and thereby control the people:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 17pt'><span style='font-family: Arial Black'>“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”</span></span>
<span style='font-size: 14pt'><span style='font-family: Book Antiqua'>-Joseph Goebbels-</span></span></div></div>

LWW

cushioncrawler
12-06-2009, 03:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the film, "The Day After Tomorrow," the world gets gripped in ice within the span of just a few weeks. Now research now suggests an eerily similar event might indeed have occurred in the past. Looking ahead to the future, there is no reason why such a freeze shouldn't happen again — and in ironic fashion it could be precipitated if ongoing changes in climate force the Greenland ice sheet to suddenly melt, scientists say.
<span style="color: #FF0000">I know, I know, this has nothing to do with Global Warming and Gore's income but you have to at least see the irony here. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </span>Starting roughly 12,800 years ago, the Northern Hemisphere was gripped by a chill that lasted some 1,300 years. Known by scientists as the Younger Dryas and nicknamed the"Big Freeze," geological evidence suggests it was brought on when a vast pulse of fresh water — a greater volume than all of North America's Great Lakes combined — poured into the Atlantic and Arctic Oceans.</div></div>".....In addition to sea level rise, Hu and his co-authors found that if the Greenland melt rate were to defy expectations and continue its 7 percent increase, this would drain enough fresh water into the North Atlantic to weaken the oceanic circulation that pumps warm water to the Arctic. Ironically, this weakening of the meridional overturning circulation would help the Arctic avoid some of the impacts of global warming and lead to at least the temporary recovery of Arctic sea ice by the end of the century....."D -- Local temp and sea'level effekts are not necessaryly global.
madMac.

Chilled
12-06-2009, 10:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 17pt'><span style='font-family: Arial Black'>“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”</span></span>
<span style='font-size: 14pt'><span style='font-family: Book Antiqua'>-Joseph Goebbels-</span></span></div></div>

LWW
</div></div>

Sorry, slightly off topic but a German friend once told me that this is one of the most famous falsely attributed quotes and that there is no official record at all of Goebbels ever having said it (in English or German).

She said that in hundreds of thousands of examples of this quote being used over the years no-one using it has ever been able to cite where and when Goebbels said it or wrote it (either in German or English). She said Goebbels did touch on the subject in similar terms when describing and criticising tactics being used by Churchill.

According to her there was something reasonably similar written by Hitler in Mein Kampf and that a combination of Hitler's wods in Mein Kampf and Goebbel's words criticising Churchill's propaganda tactics eventually merged into the quote which is now extensively attributed to Goebbels but re which no-one can actually cite where and when he allegedly said or wrote it.

She could be biased and it's hardly important enough to inspire a major research project but it's quite possible that if she's correct there's an ironic parallel in so many people repeating it over and over as if it's a true Goebbel's quote.

sack316
12-07-2009, 02:20 AM
While true that that particular quote cannot be cited or directly attributed to him for certain, one cannot deny that the thought is not outside his realm of beliefs when looking at confirmed quotes.

Sack

Chilled
12-07-2009, 06:51 AM
Yeah, fair point.

DickLeonard
12-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Chilled according to my sources Goebbels said that paragraph at the Neurenberg War Trial. He explained how the people don't want to go to war. Just tell them we are going to be invaded/attacked and it is easy lead them to WAR.####

Chilled
12-07-2009, 11:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DickLeonard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chilled according to my sources Goebbels said that paragraph at the Neurenberg War Trial. He explained how the people don't want to go to war. Just tell them we are going to be invaded/attacked and it is easy lead them to WAR.#### </div></div>

I understand the parallel you are drawing.

However it is a cast iron certainty that Goebbels did not make the statement in question at The Nuremberg War Trials unless it was with the assistance of a Ouija board or via a very competent spirit medium. You might want to consider seeking better sources of information than wherever you got that blooper.

Gayle in MD
12-08-2009, 01:12 AM
The quote sounds more like the Bush administration's philosophies, to me. You sure Rover or Cheney didn't write that out, and then drill it with the old BSer in charge, the decider?

G.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
12-08-2009, 01:17 AM
We could draw the same conclusion reminicing the actions and statements of the last administration, no?

G.

Deeman3
12-08-2009, 08:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any contingency plans being drawn up by the great State of Ala. to repel the Yankee invaders, should NYC, and a few other coastal cities, slip under the sea? </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Naw, we still use "Catch and Release" in a progrma that just writes them a very expensive speeding ticket and send them on their merry way.

While some would really hate to see NYC slip under the sea, I figure by Gore's estimates, I'll own about 200 miles of beach property in about 20 years! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Global warming will help me and him, two Tennessee boys one of whom invented the internet and one who pays to use it! </span>

Qtec
12-08-2009, 09:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">" geological evidence suggests it was brought on when a vast pulse of fresh water — a greater volume than all of North America's Great Lakes combined — poured into the Atlantic and Arctic Oceans. </div></div>

Which shows that climate change can happen on a huge scale because of realativly minor incidents. We can't do anything about earth quakes, volcano eruptions or meteor impacts but we can and must control the air we breathe.
If you have the right to life then you have the right to stay alive, yes? [ Healthcare]
If you have the right to life, do you have the right to breathe clean air?
The big Corps are collectively pissing in OUR swimming pool, ie the air we breathe, is that OK?
Also, turns out this constant stream of piss is corroding the pool, its about to fall apart, should we say "carry on pissing", our kids can sort it out when they inherit the house?"
Q

pooltchr
12-08-2009, 09:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The big Corps are collectively pissing in OUR swimming pool, ie the air we breathe, is that OK?
Also, turns out this constant stream of piss is corroding the pool, its about to fall apart, should we say "carry on pissing", our kids can sort it out when they inherit the house?"
Q </div></div>

Here's the problem. Our "swimming pool" is the whole earth, and we all are in the same pool. Where would you have us piss? Because, like it or not, in order to survive, we all must consume food and water, and we all gotta go somewhere!

Would you prefer that we all just stop consuming everything, so there would be no waste at all? How long would we survive???

Steve

eg8r
12-08-2009, 09:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have the right to life then you have the right to stay alive, yes? [ Healthcare]</div></div>Wrong. Your assumption is that your right life gives you the right to my money and that is completely false.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have the right to life, do you have the right to breathe clean air?</div></div>State governments seem to think so with all the smoking bans they have put in place.

eg8r