PDA

View Full Version : Bragging about my kids...

eg8r
12-03-2009, 01:22 PM
This week has been very interesting. As some may know my children are going to a private school instead of a day care. Actually my daughter is now in Kindergarten. My son is in K3 and is doing great. Like most kids he can count to 20, knows his alphabet, but now he can tell you the sounds of the letters. He is also learning to write them. I think it is so cool to watch a 3 year old write letters. By the end of the school year he will be able to write the entire alphabet and his numbers. He is the youngest in his class but is having no problem keeping up with the "older 3 year olds". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif It cracks me up to hear him singing the Transformers song.

My daughter is in Kindergarten now and starting this week she has begun learning to read. I am sure this is no big thing as a lot of kids learn to read at that age (I started at age 4) but it is quite exciting for me. She is catching on to it so quickly. What surprises me is how things I find to be so easy require a significant amount of concentration from her, but she is doing awesome. By the end of this school year she will be reading just fine, count (and recognize) the numbers to 100. She knows addition and subtraction now. She goes slower on numbers above 20 but still gets those right. What cracks me up the most is that while she was in K4 (last year) she learned how to write in cursive. I don't think I learned that till much later but she thinks I have messy hand-writing. I agree, but my job requires me to use a keyboard so I don't care. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I don't see SONoma on here much but he recommended when my daughter was very young to always read to her and I want to thank him for that great advice. My daughter loves to be read to and now she is so excited to be able to start reading herself. It is very cool being a parent.

eg8r

pooltchr
12-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Very cool. Thanks for the update.

Steve

wolfdancer
12-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Ed, there are so many programs available online now for children in that age group. The modern thinking is that kids have this amazing ability to absorb knowledge, which tapers off a bit around age 6 or 7.
I remember my much younger cousin, Paul, who's much older parents never did the baby talk thing with him, and he was amazingly smart at age 4. He now teaches school at the collegiate level.
I was still reading the "Dick and Jane" books at age 12.
While I don't think we will be exchanging Christmas cards this year, why ruin our unbroken streak?.....It was a nice human interest story, and thoughtful of you to share that here.

jayalley
12-03-2009, 06:12 PM
That's great !!!!

Your love and pride shine throughout your words.

I hope that Santa is very good to them this year...it seems that they deserve it !

Deeman3
12-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Great Ed! It's nice to here about good kids you are so proud of.

eg8r
12-06-2009, 09:17 PM
What? No Christmas cards. LOL.

I am a human, contrary to any posts on this forum. I love my wife and kids and don't mind sharing it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I have always been told my whole life that I was "so smart" and always did those things that kids my age were not doing (I am no whiz kid but always was advanced compared to those I hung out with). Anyways, I find a lot of pride in knowing that my kids are doing as well or better and having a great time doing it. Hopefully you guys don't get tired of my "updates" because other than that I might not have much to share. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

A little about myself...I was quite bummed about my Gators crashing and burning in Atlanta this weekend so I went and played some pool. This is the first time in over a year that I have gone out and played pool. Well, my first 3 racks I ran out. All three I came out dry on the break but once I got my turn at the table it was lights out. I slowed down to a more pedestrian speed afterwards but my buddy was like, "dang I did not know you could play like those guys on ESPN." Kind of helped get my mind off the Almighty Gators losing to a team that played better football.

eg8r <~~~thinks things are looking up, the Dolphins beat the Patriots /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Qtec
12-06-2009, 09:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What? No Christmas cards. LOL.

<u>I am a human,</u> </div></div>

Says who? BTW, being just 'a human' puts you anywhere between Pol Pot and Mother Theresa!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I love my wife and kids and don't mind sharing it.</div></div>

Isn't that what Tiger said? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyways, I find a lot of pride in knowing that my kids are doing as well or better and having a great time doing it </div></div>

Nothing wrong about that.

Q

DickLeonard
12-07-2009, 08:07 PM
eg8r I have to wait 36 before your granddaughter goes to Harvard. I don't think I will make it Ed so I might as well congratulate you now. ####

Gayle in MD
12-08-2009, 01:52 AM
Ed,
Kudos. Also, happy to know that you are reading to your children, and enjoying parenthood.

G.

eg8r
12-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Haha, Harvard would be awesome.

eg8r