PDA

View Full Version : Is nothing Sacred

wolfdancer
12-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Since 1915, when we needed a quicker picker upper....we used a handful of Sun Maid raisins, comforted by the depiction of the wholesome young lady on the package, you might say our raison d'etre for buying them wrinkled dried up grapes, that didn't make it to a wine press.
And now some say that the newly made-over raisin girl," a buxom, modern young woman that looks like a Barbie Doll in Amish attire" graces the front of the box...."buxom, Amish"...is there such a creature? Amish Barbie...it's mind boggling
Is it still safe to include a package of these in a lunch box for your young students?

sack316
12-03-2009, 11:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is it still safe to include a package of these in a lunch box for your young students?
</div></div>

I don't think so due to zero tolerance rules. Remember how opening the little box, sometimes the packaging would slightly cut you underneath your fingernail? It may qualify as a weapon now due to that.

Not to mention

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Growing up in the San Joaquin Valley, artist Ester
Hernandez watched her mother boil the water drawn from the
pesticide-contaminated wells to make it safe for her family to
drink, while friends and family working in the grape fields were
being diagnosed with cancer at an alarming rate.

Viewing a large billboard promoting Sun Maid Raisins and
its “naturalness,” Hernandez denounced its lie and created her
now-internationally-known poster “Sun Mad.” While posters from
the farm worker’s movement brought light to the plight of the
workers themselves, “Sun Mad” effectively brought a consumer’s
perspective to the overuse of pesticides and its effects on
humans and the environment.

Created in 1981, the “Sun Mad” image is used around the
world and remains a powerful education tool. </div></div>

http://www.csupomona.edu/~plin/women2/images/hernandez_big.jpg

Sack

wolfdancer
12-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Damn, and I did grow up having them as a snack.
I was still dealing with acne when I got out of the service at age 21...and finally went to a dermatologist, who treated that with facial X-Rays...a lead shield over your eyes. Wonder how many he killed, before their time?

dg-in-centralpa
12-04-2009, 02:17 PM
A "buxom Amish" is very true. I've seen quite a few.

DG

wolfdancer
12-04-2009, 02:35 PM
DG, I spent an entire summer traveling through Pa, but except fer buying some Goat's milk fudge, all my Amish stories came from a friend, who used to drive Buses for Greyhound. He said on the weekend the young ladies would get on the bus dressed in Amish attire, change in the RR to street clothes....and go let their hair down for the evening in the "Big City"....
Didn't really sound true, but did make for a great story.

pooltchr
12-04-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm definitely in favor of buxom Amish....or buxom Catholics, or buxom agnostics, or buxom........

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Steve