PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Mayor, stealing from poor?

Deeman3
12-04-2009, 10:21 AM
<span style="color: #FF0000">I know we expect this from a mayor now-a-days but how evil do you have to be to steal gift cards intended for the poor to buy personal trinkets for yourself? </span>

BALTIMORE (AP)- Baltimore Mayor Sheila Dixon says she regrets that city residents had to go through the "ordeal" of her criminal trial.

Dixon made a statement Thursday about her conviction on a misdemeanor fraud charge. The one-minute statement fell short of an apology for her actions.

Dixon, a Democrat, was convicted Tuesday of misappropriating $525 worth of gift cards donated to the city for needy families. Her defense team plans to appeal the conviction, and she still faces trial on perjury charges related to gifts she received from her former boyfriend.

Dixon says she's been told by her lawyers to limit her public comments while her court battles continue. Several high-profile figures, including former mayor Kurt Schmoke, have called on Dixon to apologize.

wolfdancer
12-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Only $525 ????
Most politicians worth their salt "earn" more then that while preforming their morning's ablutions.
It's easy to take an article like that and indict all Democratic politicians with it...or go beyond that and as "Rev". lloiter decries,condemn the democratic populace as a whole for not showing up with raised pitchforks to mete out justice to the offender....when the crook is of their party.
She gets my vote though as the 2009 Scrooge award nominee.

pooltchr
12-04-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't think it's right to convict all Democrats for the actions of a few.........

Bud did this really happen in <span style='font-size: 14pt'>Maryland</span>????

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Steve

Deeman3
12-04-2009, 03:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only $525 ????
Most politicians worth their salt "earn" more then that while preforming their morning's ablutions.
It's easy to take an article like that and indict all Democratic politicians with it...or go beyond that and as "Rev". lloiter decries,condemn the democratic populace as a whole for not showing up with raised pitchforks to mete out justice to the offender....when the crook is of their party.
</div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Jack,

Although I had not honestly noticed that she was a Democrat I might have fingured that out by the State she is in. I was not engaged over the party nor the amount but that such a well compensated lady would take fomr the needy. Heck, in Baltimore, there have to be tons of art leagues, port authority scams and others filled to the brim with funds ripe for the pilfering and what does she do? Takes it from a literal poor box, something only drug crazed feinds did back in our day.

I know several pool players in that area that might not have surprised me in doing such a thing! On second thought, they would not have stooped that low.

Where is the servant of the people, in either party now? Where is the outrage? I mean, they don't say she is going to be strung up or anything, and will most probably go into rehab and finish in time to set in on the next city council meeting with no shame pro-offered.

Kinda makes you harken back to the Chicago days of Mayor Daly (the original), a clean guy by comparison.

Hell, we do not have a minority mayor in our state who has not been convicted of a felony while in office nor a similar head of a law enforcement agency who has not stolen, bribed or shot at another law dog here, ask Sack, he watches the news. Of course they are Democrats but that is only becuase we don't have any minority Republicans in office (you knew that). Most are in trouble over somthing as stupid as accidently getting a few Rolexes in business transactions, but no one, as far as I know, took from the needy directly. To balance this all out, we have had a white Governor convicted of felonies but, again, although still a Democrat, he left the poor kids alone and went for appointments to public office for contributions.

As for right wing crime, I too have been caught this Summer speeding on a county road. Now, Monday I am due as a juror in Federal Court. How long do you think I will last when they start questioning me? I bet just the 3 piece suit will get me out of there in about 10 minutes. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Have great great weekend. I know, by Monday, a Republican Senator will probably be arrested for plundering a Wal-Mart Santa's pot. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif That's just my luck....

</span>

LWW
12-04-2009, 04:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only $525 ????
</div></div>

I agree, and it's obviously a case of the 99% of crooked demokook politicians giving the honest 1% a bad name.

LWW

Deeman3
12-04-2009, 04:17 PM
This guy just had bad timing...:)

WASHINGTON - At a hearing in late March, the nation's credit card companies faced the threat of expensive new rules from an unlikely regulator: the House Committee on Homeland Security, chaired by Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.).

The committee had never before dealt with credit card issues, but Thompson warned Visa, MasterCard and others that Congress might need to impose tighter security standards costing millions of dollars to protect customers from identity theft.

Behind the scenes, some of Thompson's staffers sensed a different motive -- an attempt to pressure the companies into making political donations to the chairman, according to several former committee staffers.

Now the House ethics committee is investigating the propriety of the committee's operations, and whether its members' interactions with companies compromised its work. Within a few weeks of the hearing, Thompson collected $15,000 in donations from the credit card industry and its Washington-based lobbyists, a Washington Post analysis shows. No legislation on card security has been introduced.

Several former committee staffers, speaking on the condition of anonymity, have told The Post that the credit card hearing was one of several committee actions that caused staff concerns because of their consideration of potential donors and contractors friendly to Thompson. The current ethics inquiry was prompted this summer, according to an ethics document obtained by The Post, when a former committee aide alleged she was fired after complaining to her bosses that a lobbyist made improper requests of staff members.

Thompson -- who made headlines separately this week by calling a committee hearing to investigate Tareq and Michaele Salahi's ability to get past Secret Service and into a White House state dinner without invitation -- said he did not arrange a hearing to generate campaign donations.

LWW
12-05-2009, 08:38 AM
I blame Bush.

LWW

wolfdancer
12-05-2009, 09:35 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
I always get reminded of Boston's James Michael Curley,"The Last Hurrah" whose motto was something like " steal from the rich, but steal some for the poor"
after serving a term in prison, he was reelected as Mayor.

LWW
12-06-2009, 11:19 AM
The dems never have cared if their candidates were criminals or not ... and that's being generous. An uninvolved observer would probably conclude they prefer criminals ... after they elected this POS to congress, mayor, and governor. They elected Teddy as the POS senator numerous times. They elected the traitor Murtha and the impeached judge Hastings.

It is amazing what the deficient brain will vote for.

LWW