PDA

View Full Version : Now that real football is drawing to a close...

eg8r
12-06-2009, 09:27 PM
it is time to switch gears for me. For whatever reason, I have trouble following more than one sport at a time. Being honest it is because there is not enough time in the day. However, since my Gators lost to Alabama, the college football season is over as far as I care. There is only one bowl game that matters and that is the National Championship and sadly my team will not be there this year. I cannot believe how poorly the Gators played defense and am worried that is what we will see more of next year. All the big stars on D will be gone next year and we still have to figure out how to stop Ingram on his quest for his second Heisman.

So, now it is time to start paying more attention to basketball. My Orlando Magic are looking good once again. I was a bit skeptical about losing Hedo (money always talks) but Carter has allowed me to completely forget what Hedo ever did for us. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Hopefully he can keep it up. There is really only one team in the NBA that I think poses any sort of problem for the Magic over a 7 game series and that is LA. I honestly thought we beat LA in the series last year but due to a few poor plays, the Lakers won. It surely will not be remembered that way to many who only look at the record but for those of us that watched every game, it was not a blowout by any means. I hope our acquisitions this year will help take us to the top.

eg8r <~prefers sports over politics any day

sack316
12-07-2009, 02:12 AM
If you ask me, the absence of Dunlap was the difference between what we saw happen, and what would have been a closely fought game. Him being gone, changed the whole scheme of the defense and opened up a number of extra options for the Bama offense.

Some will argue that the Florida offense gave a let down performance as well, but I contend that had the defense been in its usual state, the offense would have had more opportunities. Worst case: Bama's D may have been more worn out come 4th quarter and we may have seen a similar outcome to what the '08 version was.

At the end of the day, it is what it is. IMHO, Dunlap may have single handedly took away their shot... and probably cost himself a few million in draft status as well.

Not taking anything away from Bama, they looked incredible and are fully capable of beating any team on any given day. And if in a few weeks we see the same Bama team play against the same Texas team from Saturday, it won't be much of a game.

I'll look at basketball more 'round March when it gets interesting. That plus it also means only a month until baseball season /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

pooltchr
12-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Your thread title would indicate that you view college football as real football, while not necessarily believing the same about the NFL. I can accept that, although I don't agree. But then, to turn around and start talking about tne NBA when we have REAL basketball (NCAA) is beyond my comprehension.
College roundball is far more exciting than watching a bunch of big lugs jogging up and down the court for a paycheck!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Steve

eg8r
12-07-2009, 08:25 AM
LOL. Yes I think college football is far better than the NFL. You are probably right, college basketball is better than NBA but in the past couple years I have not followed the NCAA's until March. I don't know why but it does not keep my attention like college football does.

Since you brought up college basketball, I believe my Gators are not doing too bad this year. I have a friend who will be a Gator starting next year so I hope to get up there and watch a few basketball games when I can.

eg8r <~~~won't make it to a Magic game until Jan for my birthday

eg8r
12-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Haha Sack, I am with you on baseball.

Dunlap totally screwed the Gators and it is his type of selfishness that drives me insane. I think with him being out, the defense clammed up. However, Spikes and Major Wright were playing hurt and the rest of the D could not make a stinking tackle. Alabama look entirely beatable when they played Auburn and I was feeling pretty good until the drunk got caught sleeping.

I don't know what it was but the Gators just did not have the fire in them during the game. When Alabama charged down the field (first drive of the game) like it was nothing and only got a field goal I thought the defense would be ecstatic at the stop and fire up the offense. But that never happened. Tebow entering the D huddle during a timeout to fire his guys up was not enough and plenty late. I still cannot believe what happened during that game. I try to make sure my comments are not perceived in a way that someone will think I thought the Gators gave the game away because Alambama came to win it and they stuffed it down the Gators throats.

With Dunlap there, I don't know if the end result would be any different, but I do know Alabama would not have been running the spread that early in the game. Dunlap would have killed McElroy.

eg8r

Deeman3
12-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Guy, don't hate Bama because they are beautiful! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Good game. I thought Florida was just overwealmed as they have not had anyone dominate them this way for a long time. You can't win 'em all but Florida is a great team all the same. Everyone has a bad day.

eg8r
12-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Yes, a bad day is what it was. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I think the outcome would have been different had the Florida team that played FSU played against the Bama team that played Auburn. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Deeman3
12-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Probabaly right but you gotta bring the game that you have to have when you have to have it. If you have a problem getting up against number 2 when you are number ne, it is not gonna be a good day anyway.

I love Auburn but would have hated to see them mar Bama's season this year. Now we will have to see if Bama can handle my old team Texas. I think they will.

eg8r
12-07-2009, 01:43 PM
I think Bama will definitely come out on top. My father is big into racing and their favorite saying is "run what you brung". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Florida brought a hobbled defense and little effort.

eg8r