PDA

View Full Version : Best Instructors: Women Or Men?

TomBrooklyn
08-15-2002, 03:36 PM
Do women make better pool instructors than men?

Based on:

1) Woman's natural ability to notice small changes at a forty per cent greater accuracy rate than men, and

2) Their ability to use both sides of their brain simultaneously (emotion and logic) which enables them to make very accurate decisions about what is going on around them, would you say that:

A) Women make better pool instructors then men.

B) The above factors are not significant enough or apply enough to make a difference.

C) There are other natural ability factors which enable men to equal (or exceed?) women's skill in providing pool instruction. What are these factors?

D) Other

-TB

Sid_Vicious
08-15-2002, 03:48 PM
I like women teachers, if you do something wrong they make you do it over again" sid via Rodney Daingerfield

Lester
08-15-2002, 04:17 PM
>>>>Tom, that all depends on what the women are wearing. lol
Only kidding, I don't think the ability to teach is predominant in one gender or another. I've known outstanding players of both sexes that could not convey the procedure, or the reason that this was the way. It takes a special kind of person to teach effectively. If you find one that works for you, stick with them. JMHO ***Lester***

PQQLK9
08-15-2002, 06:28 PM
I bet a cross dressing transvestite would get your attention... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
08-15-2002, 06:45 PM
I never had a lesson with a woman pool instructor. But, I doubt that an instructor is gender dependant.

griffith_d
08-15-2002, 07:49 PM
In the world, there are more women teachers of everything, school,..etc, they have more patience, can instinctively tell when a player would be bored, frustrated and can almost read your mind.

Men might want to get on with it, not slow down and let you learn, not so understanding of why you can understand something.

My sister is a teacher of art,..she is a very patient but stern woman. She the smartest woman I have ever known.

The best teacher is not the best at what they do, just the best at pointing out your faults,..as all great champions of any sport have coachs.

By the way, my sister is the best at pointing out my faults.

Griff

bluewolf
08-15-2002, 08:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lester:</font><hr> &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Tom, that all depends on what the women are wearing. lol
Only kidding, I don't think the ability to teach is predominant in one gender or another. I've known outstanding players of both sexes that could not convey the procedure, or the reason that this was the way. It takes a special kind of person to teach effectively. If you find one that works for you, stick with them. JMHO ***Lester*** <hr></blockquote>

i agree. both sexes can use both parts of their brain. both can learn to pay attention to body language which gives clues on the persons feelings:ie-am i overloading them, are they feeling frustrated, both can learn to encourage the student with the progress they are making.

i think an instructor has a gift and i have had great instructors of both sexes.

bluewolf

08-15-2002, 09:01 PM
i don't think teaching pool is any different than teaching other things, and i that respect, i don't see an advantage. there are both competant and incompetant men AND women instructors.

08-16-2002, 12:39 AM
I have had men and women teach me. The men tend to get a little more impatient than the women but that could be because I am in the relationship with the man, and the women is just my friend. Tina Pawloski has showed me a lot and has been patient with me every time. My boyfriend try's try's to teach me and always ends up getting frusterated or upset and impatient.

08-20-2002, 11:52 AM
I know this isn't going to be the standard P.C. "Everyone is Equal" post, so I apologize in advance. I see many more men becoming completely obsessed with whatever it is they are into; pool, golf, fishing, whatever (as illustrated in the "You love pool more than you love me" arguments that all of us men pool players have had). While obsession may not be healthy, it usually leads to a certain degree of expertise in whatever it is being obsessed on. For that reason, if I were given the choice to receive instruction from a male for female, without knowing anything about them as individuals, I would choose the male. Sorry girls, I'm sure this isn't the answer that will be most accepted in this forum ;-).

08-20-2002, 12:11 PM
why do people post garbage like this.... the fact is that more men play pool so it makes sense that there would be more quality instructors than women... not to say that the top women instructors are not as good..... but that would have required them to have spent the many many years gaining the knowledge it takes to be a top notch instructor... the proportions of men players to women is not even close so why would instructors be any different?

posts like this are a waste of time..especially since this crap keeps comming up over and over again.. you should know better tom

Lester
08-20-2002, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> why do people post garbage like this.... the fact is that more men play pool so it makes sense that there would be more quality instructors than women... not to say that the top women instructors are not as good..... but that would have required them to have spent the many many years gaining the knowledge it takes to be a top notch instructor... the proportions of men players to women is not even close so why would instructors be any different?

posts like this are a waste of time..especially since this crap keeps comming up over and over again.. you should know better tom <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Oh Downtown, I'd be willing to wager that you're not a good instructor. ***Lester***

08-20-2002, 12:27 PM

08-20-2002, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Do women make better pool instructors than men?

Based upon:

1) Woman's natural ability to notice small changes at a forty per cent greater accuracy rate than men, and

2) Their ability to use both sides of their brain simultaneously (emotion and logic) which enables them to make very accurate decisions about what is going on around them-TB <hr></blockquote>

well, i was going to attack the scientific accuracy of your premises when i remembered that i had seen the conundrum addressed thusly:

"if a man says something in the woods, and there are no women there............................................. ......
.................................................. ......
...............................is he still wrong?!??

it's on a beer koozy given to me by a woman who explained that the answer is an obvious "absolutely'!

dan...but then i could be wrong.

08-20-2002, 01:40 PM
i would rather have J. Lee but only cause she has nicer boobs than steve.. although steves are bigger.

not knowing them personally I cant say who is the better instructor. but lets say there are 1,000,000 men who play pool...... and about 100,000 women ( just assuming that there is a 10-1 ratio) it would make sense to me that there would be a ratio somewhat similar with regards to instruction.... that would mean there is a 1 in 10 chance that the top woman instructor is better than all of the ten top men.

08-20-2002, 02:24 PM

bluewolf
08-20-2002, 02:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> why do people post garbage like this.... the fact is that more men play pool so it makes sense that there would be more quality instructors than women... not to say that the top women instructors are not as good..... but that would have required them to have spent the many many years gaining the knowledge it takes to be a top notch instructor... the proportions of men players to women is not even close so why would instructors be any different?

<hr></blockquote>

makes sense more men player = more good men players =more instructors=more good men instructors &lt;G&gt;

but i thought we were talking qualitatively not quantitavely

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-20-2002, 02:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> Quote: d0wnt0wn:i would rather have J. Lee but only cause she has nicer boobs than steve.. although steves are bigger.

Bingo, that is exactly my point, and I new you would fall for it. You would probably get more learning accomplished with Jeanette because your senses would be aroused. Everything would be much more interesting. Everything would make a much longer impression on you. It's like having a very nice sexy Spanish teacher if you get my point now. Of course dOwntOwn, you would have to put your pool personality in the forefront just in case you have a multi-personality disorder /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif, and just rememember, it's the color of their parachute (not panties) you should be interested in if you are to have a successful learning experience /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif <hr></blockquote>

MPD/ hmmmm. i only see two of him.the serious pool player and the uhuh /ccboard/images/icons/blush.gif

bluewolf

Fran Crimi
08-20-2002, 03:49 PM
I think probably an alien would be my first choice, Tom. If I could do that ET thing with my finger I'd be a happy camper.

But seriously, I've been told, and I agree that great teachers have a special gift and it isn't gender specific. It's soul specific.

Fran

Rod
08-20-2002, 04:49 PM
Tom I veiw this two different ways. Level of play and how well they communicate verbal and visual instruction. As Harvey Penick said, I don't use big words, so I don't charge as much. lol If both are of equal talent and knowledge and do the above mentioned, then it won't make any difference. Rather it might be more of a student's acceptance to learn and change. Some people just don't like change, especially if it hurts their game in the process. You can tell them it will be diffucult at first as we all struggle a little. But the in long sense it's the right direction. There are a number of players around here that have been taught by several and told much of the same by most. You still see them doing the same old stuff with a very minor difference if any. They know best I guess. lol

Scott Lee
08-21-2002, 01:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr>

well, i was going to attack the scientific accuracy of your premises when i remembered that i had seen the conundrum addressed thusly:

"if a man says something in the woods, and there are no women there............................................. ......
...............................is he still wrong?!??

it's on a beer koozy given to me by a woman who explained that the answer is an obvious "absolutely'!

dan...but then i could be wrong. <hr></blockquote>

dan...You are SO funny! ROTFLMAO Can't wait to see you again!

Scott

08-21-2002, 01:49 AM
the US has ten times the population of canada..... in the summer olympics the us generally ends up with 200 medals canada is lucky to get 30-40..... qunatative does = qualative in my opinion you have more hens to choose the eggs from .