PDA

View Full Version : BD Player of the Decade

Nick Leider
12-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Hey Everybody:

Nick Leider, managing editor of BD, here. We’re looking to have a little fun with our impending selection of the “Player of the Decade.” We’ll be running an online vote through the main page at BD.com, and I’d like the Cue Chalk Board to be a place where people can discuss and debate the merits of our three candidates (Ralf Souquet, Mika Immonen and Johnny Archer) for the men and four candidates (Allison Fisher, Kelly Fisher, Karen Corr and Ga Young Kim) for the women.

Ideally, this online poll will only add to the thoughtful discourse that’s always been a part of the CCB. But if any problems should arise, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Best,
Nick Leider

Bambu
12-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Cool poll, thanks Nick. Do we get any info on what their accomplishments for the decade have been? I'd like to vote based on their merits, rather than who I think the better player is. Anyone have any idea on amount of the total tour winnings for each? First place finishes, titles, etc.

Interesting that no philipinos made the poll. Looks like gambling pays better than tourneys in some places.

reggie182
12-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Perhaps he doesn't have as many points from "official" tournaments as certain other players (though let's not forget he won the IPT King of the Hill....the highest paying tournament, and that should count for something), but given the man's magnificence of play throughout this decade, and the emergence of the "Mosconi vs. Reyes - who was the greatest ever?" argument, I really have a hard time understanding why Efren Reyes didn't earn a spot on that ballot. C'mon guys, at least give him a place at the table. He deserves it.

Rich R.
12-09-2009, 09:45 AM
I have to vote for Mika Immonen. He has won the World 9 Ball Championship. He is only the second person in history to win back to back U.S. Open Championships and he recently won the World 10 Ball Championship. These are only the major accomplishments that I could think of off of the top of my head. He has won numerous other tournaments and he has also played on the Euopean Mosconi Cup team.

Nick Leider
12-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Bambu, we've added mini-resumes for each player underneath the poll. Each player has a quick bio with major wins from the last 10 years. Also, we've got a comparison of tournament money and BD Power Index points.

I'm working on a comparison sheet for the ladies, which should be up by the end of the day.

Thanks!

Nick

bataisbest
12-09-2009, 04:56 PM
What kind of a poll for "Player of the Decade" leaves out Efren Reyes and Francisco Bustamante? Seems to me there's some jealousy or bitterness here in the States given that the Filipino Players are always in the running or winning most Tournaments. Efren is always in the discussion for Greatest All Time. Not having him in the poll is a joke.

Bambu
12-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Thanks Nick. Looks like out of those 3, I'd have to give it to Mika. Archer seemed to fade during the last 5 years, while Mika came on strong.

As for the women, it looks like Karen by a nose. Same type of scenario as the men, but with Karen closing out the decade a little stronger.

12-10-2009, 10:54 AM
I'll have to make a pitch for Mika too.

Mika is the player of the decade (2000 to 2009). For one, he started the decade with numerous high finishes, including a second place finish in the 2001 US Open and finished the decade with 2 back to back US Open wins. If anything, Mika's tourney wins over the past 18 months really sealed the deal for me.

Eric

Soflasnapper
12-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I'd go with Mika as well. It's an impressionistic pick, because I really cannot remember a full decade of placings in tournies for all these guys, and my most accurate memories are more recent ones, as I suspect most other peoples' would be as well.

To really be sure, I'd want to see the full decade records laid out side-by-side for comparison. Otherwise, it might be a 'what has he won LATELY?' kind of question, the same bias for the 'all timers' question in baseball/football/basketball that favors the current greats over ANY of the old greats, simply because you've seen them all most recently. (Few younger people remember Elgin Baylor, for instance, even though he invented the Dr. J/Michael Jordan moves all by himself 20 years earlier and went off for 60 points a game at will, avging 20+ points a game with two bad knees at the end of his career.)

Cornerman
01-22-2010, 04:15 PM
I finally took a good look at all the accomplishments of the front runners in the P.O.D. race. It became glaringly obvious to me which way I'd vote. Efren Reyes. The guy who dominated the all around championships from 2001-2007. The guy who won the highest paying events, the IPT events, the WPA events, etc. etc. He may not have dominated 9-ball, but he seemed to dominate all other disciplines.

If Johnny Archer was the Player of the 90's, does that mean this new decade started in 2000? Add a 2nd place finish in the BCA 14.1 US Open to Reyes' stats.

Fred <~~~ got my votes in

dr_dave
01-23-2010, 04:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cornerman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I finally took a good look at all the accomplishments of the front runners in the P.O.D. race. It became glaringly obvious to me which way I'd vote. Efren Reyes. The guy who dominated the all around championships from 2001-2007. The guy who won the highest paying events, the IPT events, the WPA events, etc. etc. He may not have dominated 9-ball, but he seemed to dominate all other disciplines.</div></div>Ditto. Efren should be included in the poll. If he were, he would probably receive the largest number of votes, IMO. He'd certainly have my vote.

Dave

bradb
01-25-2010, 03:57 PM
I guess if we are to pick the player of the decade it should be the one player who has the most wins for that period. That would probably be Efren and Allison...but they had most of their wins in the first part of the 90's with Ralf, Mika, Kelly and Karen coming on strong the last 4 or 5, so its a hard call.

For sheer terms of popularity and the biggest impact any player alone has had on pool I think the stand outs are Efren and Allison.

-brad

Cornerman
02-01-2010, 08:59 PM
The United States Billiard Media Association ( http://www.usbma.com ) had their vote and have given their press release. You can see it on the main page http://www.billiardsdigest.com

Efren and Allison have been named Players of the Decade. Congratulation to them both for the well deserved honor.

Fred

Schming
02-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Anyone mention Tiger Woods? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
I heard he is the playa of the year ! badum bum chhhh!

yeah i know, but its still funny.

Efren, to me, seems like an excellent choice. there are not very many things that he doesnt do very well.