PDA

View Full Version : Prevent unnecessary disputes about rules...

08-15-2002, 05:59 PM
Very few of us have mastered the rules of the games we play regularly. This isn't surprising: the rules are fairly complex (they have to be, to cover the goofy situations that can arise during play); different organizations publish different rules for the same games; and a number of games are popular. So we get into endless unproductive hassles about the rules--hassles that can't be resolved sensibly without appeal to rulebooks that are usually outdated, incomplete, or just plain missing.

Much of this confusion about rules can be prevented. If you don't want to be distracted--or shafted--get yourself a ring binder and some clear plastic document sleeves, make copies of the rules, and make yourself a comprehensive rulebook. And take the sucker with you when you go out to play.

The one I have serves me well. I got the binder and sleeves for a total of about $5, and it now contains the following items:

BCA (Billiard Congress of America) General Rules of
Pocket Billiards [from www.bca-pool.com (http://www.bca-pool.com)]

BCA [World Standardized] Rules: 9-Ball, 8-Ball, One
Pocket, and 14.1 Continuous [from www. bca-pool.com]

Texas Express Promotions Group Rules: 9-Ball, General
Tournament, One Pocket, and Player Code of Conduct
and Ethics [from www.texasexpress.com (http://www.texasexpress.com)].

I keep other things in the binder, too--flyers advertising tournaments, lists of rooms and contacts outside my local area, names and contact info for cue repairmen, info about motels and restaurants, and so on. All of this stuff is useful, but the the point I want to stress is the value of having your own customized comprehensive rulebook with you when you play.

When you and your opponent are getting organized to play and he says "We always play Texas Express 9-ball rules here," you can say "Fine with me; here they are," and put your book on the bar. This move is worth a ball-and-a-half: you can be sure that the poor guy hasn't memorized all eight pages of those rules, and now you're in a position to surprise him.

The rules are a tool and a weapon. Make sure that YOU control them!

D.M.

PQQLK9
08-15-2002, 06:12 PM
yer kiddin rite??? GOOGAN ALERT /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
08-15-2002, 06:20 PM
First you have to be able to understand what you are reading, and then you have to be able to communicate your interpretation convincingly to the player(s) involved..

And then, they have to be capable of understanding what you have just conveyed.

Tough job.. even tougher without a rule book.

08-15-2002, 06:34 PM
You're probably right, PQQ. In my next reincarnation, I'll try obsessively NOT to have a good rulebook!

D.M.

08-15-2002, 08:24 PM
There are a more complete set of rules online that incorporate the refs guidelines and tourney rules at the WPA site. Below is a link to the complete rules in word format. There are consise rules for each different game available but apparently there are a few inconsistancies and the complete rules are more correct.

http://www.wpa-pool.com/WPARules.zip