PDA

View Full Version : Efren Wins Mohegan Sun

Nostroke
08-15-2002, 07:51 PM
Beats Mika via a one game tie breaker. (Inside Pool Reports)

Cueless Joey
08-15-2002, 07:57 PM
I thought Pao was in the finals with Efren.

Nostroke
08-15-2002, 08:05 PM
Well Pao was dressed in a Mika suit then

No seriously, there was no Pao in it at all. Chao was supposed to be there but for some political reason, Taiwan wouldn't let him go (allegedly)

Ken
08-15-2002, 09:13 PM
With Mika on the hill in the second set, Efren was about to fail to call the nine for the second time in the set. Dozens of fans yelled at him to call it and he stopped to call the ball. He was appreciative to the fans but Steve Tipton was not amused.

This shows how silly the rule is. When the nine is the only ball left and the pocket is obvious there should be no requirement to call the shot.

Divotless Sardo: The table contained no indentations and Tipton claims that it is unnecessary to vigorously train a table that has new cloth. He demonstrated a slight hit he uses only on the one. The other balls are barely touched just to help them find their place.
KenCT

08-16-2002, 05:54 AM
Chao is not there because (the official saying) he has some very important things to do. But I do not know what is that "important thing". I suspect that he is planning to retire.

However, the substitute, Hsiao-Lang Fang, is also a very good player. Fang was chosen because he won all Star World Tour 2001.

BTW, where can I find realtime news on this game online?

Ken
08-16-2002, 07:38 AM
insidepool.com has a summary of each game. I guess they were a sponsor since they gave out copies of the mag to everyone attending.
KenCT

Wally_in_Cincy
08-16-2002, 07:38 AM
try www.insidepool.com (http://www.insidepool.com)

Nostroke
08-16-2002, 07:47 AM
Being penalized for failing to Call the nine like that is ridiculous. The purpose of the rule here is to prevent the Player from LUCKING the ball in. It is NOT A MEMORY TEST!!!!

It would be absurd and another black-eye for pool if he had lost that way-I dont know if there is any hope for this game. Anytime they have this rule, the referee should be able to "make the call" as to whether the nine went in the intended pocket!!