PDA

View Full Version : Dems are so funny!

pooltchr
12-16-2009, 02:28 PM
As the healthcare reform bill is systematically torn apart in the Senate, it is funny to hear the left claiming that it is the Republicans than are holding up progress. Last count, I thought the Dems had a big enough majority to pass anything they wanted. So if it isn't moving, it must be because of some Democrats who aren't bending to the party line.

The took out the public option and the expansion of Medicare to try and get Leiberman on board. They have also taken out the option to get prescriptions from Canada, which was one of Obama's points in his August speec...er...sales pitch.

Pretty much all they now have in the bill (including that 700 plus page ammendment they are having read to them today) is going to be a ban on insurance companies denying coverage due to pre existing conditions, and a mandate by force to make everyone buy insurance. Now without the public option, that means they are forcing people to buy insurance from the same companies the left has been screaming about for gouging the public. I dare say both the insurance companies and pharm companies are thrilled with the way things are going.

So they are debating an extremely watered down version of the healthcare reform Obama wanted. In fact, it is hardly a major bill any longer.

But, Obama is still demanding passage by the end of the year? Why? Could it be so he can thump his chest in January at the State of the Union address how he was the only president to be able to pass major healthcare reform?

Meanwhile, one out of ten Americans doen't even have a job!

What a great president he is!!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Steve

LWW
12-17-2009, 02:25 AM
The sad reality is that the O-cult has turned the governance of the largest economy on Earth into a 24/7 infomercial on the greatness of dearest leader and an effort to stroke his ego.

We now have the "HAIR-IN-A-CAN/SLAP-CHOP/VEGEMATIC/POCKET-FISHERMAN" president.

LWW

sack316
12-17-2009, 04:33 AM
Pretty funny, the party that is irrelevant. Has no clout. Has no power. Has no say whatsoever... is the cause of nothing being done in anything.

It may be a part of the "lost year of threads" on here now, but I do specifically remember asking the very question at one time about who was in power, and whose doorstep everything was now on.

And IIRC, it was assured that the dems had control, had everything in hand, and sh*t would now get done... now that the "evil" side was in fact, irrelevant, there wasn't much to worry about any longer.

Funny to me that the side who in reality has absolutely no power, is still to blame to nothing being done.

Sack

eg8r
12-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Well, what you are seeing is only half. The Senate might be dropping all these things to get Dems on board but there is a still a House bill which will be addressed again, behind closed doors. In the attempt to get Lieberman on board, I think they actually lost the "Blago guy", but who knows. Anyways, once the Senate finally comes to an agreement on something then the House and Senate will go back to negotiations with each other.

I love the idea that the insurance company cannot deny coverage due to pre-existing companies but are they putting anything in there as far as premiums charged if there is a pre-existing condition?

eg8r

LWW
12-17-2009, 09:10 AM
The honest fix is to require that insurance companies use one price systems, that protects people with genetic defects beyond their control.

No requirement for people to buy anything, that protects personal liberty.

Have a clause that if you choose to ever opt out of the system then your pre existing condition can then be used to raise your rates. This encourages people to get in and stay in and protects common sense.

LWW

eg8r
12-17-2009, 02:02 PM
I still think your options give the government too much control. My suggestion is to let the insurance company charge what they want (ok, some government oversight but allow Capitalism to work like it should) and let everyone choose if they want to pay for it. If they don't, fine. Sit in long lines at the emergency room like they already do now. If they do want it then the insurance company cannot deny them for pre-existing conditions.

Prescription drugs are a whole other story. I would be fine with tax dollars going towards R&D for the drug companies if they offered their drugs at the same price point as a generics. We the people fund the research and the drug companies provide it cheaply. Sure that would change the whole idea of a drug company being "for profit" to being "for less profit". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r <~~~wishes it was this easy

pooltchr
12-17-2009, 02:19 PM
I understand that both chambers will need to merge their bills to come up with a final bill. I was just commenting on the Senate because that is the one the Dems are working, wheeling and dealing, trying to get something (anything) passed. I noticed yesterday that Dean actually suggested the bill they are working on is so bad it should be thrown out, and they should start over.

Isn't that what the Republicans have been saying? It's good to see that there are some Dems who will not pass a bad bill just because the white house needs something to hang their hat on!

Steve

eg8r
12-17-2009, 02:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't that what the Republicans have been saying? It's good to see that there are some Dems who will not pass a bad bill just because the white house needs something to hang their hat on!</div></div>I still think it is too early to think that way. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif The Dems are not going to allow this bill to not get passed. Their changes in 2010 hinge on it tremendously. They have a Dem Pres and control the Congress. They told us now they could finally get some work done. If they cannot get this passed they would be doomed. We are getting something one way or another.

eg8r

pooltchr
12-17-2009, 04:31 PM
I agree. And it would look very bad if the number one priority for the new president was killed by his own people. They will pass something, and no matter what it is, what it looks like, or how empty it might be, it will be hailed as a major breakthrough for this administration.

Steve

DickLeonard
12-17-2009, 08:27 PM
pooltchr One out of Ten is BBUUTTT BBBuuuussshhhhh is FAULT. It would have been Two and a Half if it wasn't for Obama.####

Sev
12-18-2009, 08:06 PM
2074 pages of nothing but contradictory language.