PDA

View Full Version : See that roach in the corner?

rackmup
08-15-2002, 09:33 PM
See that roach in the corner of the pool hall? Don't squish it! It can be very interesting should being a railbird become boring:

The world's largest roach (which lives in South America) is six inches long with a one-foot wingspan. It can reach the top of a standard bar-box if it stands on a stool.

Roaches By the Numbers

6 -- Number of legs on a cockroach.
18 -- Number of knees on most cockroaches (at least!)
40-- Number of minutes cockroaches can hold their breath.
75 -- Percentage of time that cockroaches spend just resting (when not running from errant cueballs.)
5,000 -- Number of species of cockroaches worldwide
280 million+ -- Years ago that cockroaches are thought to have originated (during the Carboniferous era)

Bad News

Some female cockroaches mate once and are pregnant for the rest of their lives ("Barefoot-ALL OF 'EM, and PREGNANT. That's the way it should be!" can be heard throughout the male roach community.)

A cockroach can live a week without its head. The roach only dies because without a mouth, it can't drink water and dies of thirst.

Wanna Race-to-9?

Cockroaches can run up to three miles in an hour.

Better Check Those Cracks in the Wall

Young cockroaches need only a crack as thin as a dime (about .5mm wide) to crawl into. Adult males can squeeze into a space of 1.6mm or the thickness of a quarter. Pregnant females need the most space to hide: 4.5mm or a space as tall as two stacked nickels. Some of the roaches in my pool room need simply to walk upright through the front door.

Little Hearts

A cockroach heart is nothing but a simple tube with valves. The tube can pump blood backwards and forwards in the insect. The heart can even stop moving without harming the roach.

Thirsty Critters

Roaches can live without food for a month, but will only survive a week without water.

When Cold, Roaches Snuggle

Most species of roaches live in the tropics. But roaches live all over the world, including the North and South Poles. Pest cockroachs can withstand temperatures as cold as 32F (0C), but will die if the temperature goes much below that. In extremely cold places, however, they survive by moving in with humans. (Hey, quit hogging the covers!)

Better Than Air Jordans!

Cockroaches can climb walls because they are equipped with a set of little claws on their feet designed for that very purpose.

Crushed-Roach Bandages?

Crushed cockroaches can be applied to a stinging wound to help relieve the pain. In a pureed state, they also make an excellent shaft conditioner.

Smell You Later

Sniff, sniff...oh, it's just "One Pocket" Louie. Roaches use their feelers, or antennae, as noses. Their sense of smell is so great, they recognize family and friends by their distinctive odors (as do some of the patrons of several pool rooms.)

Roach Perfume

Female roaches attract male roaches by producing pheromones. Pheromones are chemicals that make the female roach smell REALLY good to the male roach.

Alright Kids, Beat It!

Some female cockroaches incubate their egg cases in their bodies until they are ready to hatch. These babies stay with their mothers a day or two after they are born.

Yuck!

Male cockroaches transfer sperm to females in a "gift-wrapped" package called a spermatophore. Some males cover the package in a protein-rich wrapping that the female can eat to obtain nutrients to raise her young. Mmmm...yummy!

(just some NPR stuff that seemed interesting.)

Regards,

Ken

Troy
08-15-2002, 09:52 PM
Sometimes Ken is simply disgusting, very funny, but disgusting..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Vapros
08-16-2002, 12:39 AM
Man, you must be talking about ants. In my home town, the average cockroach can stand flat-footed and diddle a big dog.

08-16-2002, 12:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> See that roach in the corner of the pool hall? Don't squish it! It can be very interesting should being a railbird become boring:

The world's largest roach (which lives in South America) is six inches long with a one-foot wingspan. It can reach the top of a standard bar-box if it stands on a stool.

Roaches By the Numbers

6 -- Number of legs on a cockroach.
18 -- Number of knees on most cockroaches (at least!)
40-- Number of minutes cockroaches can hold their breath.
75 -- Percentage of time that cockroaches spend just resting (when not running from errant cueballs.)
5,000 -- Number of species of cockroaches worldwide
280 million+ -- Years ago that cockroaches are thought to have originated (during the Carboniferous era)

Bad News

Some female cockroaches mate once and are pregnant for the rest of their lives ("Barefoot-ALL OF 'EM, and PREGNANT. That's the way it should be!" can be heard throughout the male roach community.)

A cockroach can live a week without its head. The roach only dies because without a mouth, it can't drink water and dies of thirst.

Wanna Race-to-9?

Cockroaches can run up to three miles in an hour.

Better Check Those Cracks in the Wall

Young cockroaches need only a crack as thin as a dime (about .5mm wide) to crawl into. Adult males can squeeze into a space of 1.6mm or the thickness of a quarter. Pregnant females need the most space to hide: 4.5mm or a space as tall as two stacked nickels. Some of the roaches in my pool room need simply to walk upright through the front door.

Little Hearts

A cockroach heart is nothing but a simple tube with valves. The tube can pump blood backwards and forwards in the insect. The heart can even stop moving without harming the roach.

Thirsty Critters

Roaches can live without food for a month, but will only survive a week without water.

When Cold, Roaches Snuggle

Most species of roaches live in the tropics. But roaches live all over the world, including the North and South Poles. Pest cockroachs can withstand temperatures as cold as 32F (0C), but will die if the temperature goes much below that. In extremely cold places, however, they survive by moving in with humans. (Hey, quit hogging the covers!)

Better Than Air Jordans!

Cockroaches can climb walls because they are equipped with a set of little claws on their feet designed for that very purpose.

Crushed-Roach Bandages?

Crushed cockroaches can be applied to a stinging wound to help relieve the pain. In a pureed state, they also make an excellent shaft conditioner.

Smell You Later

Sniff, sniff...oh, it's just "One Pocket" Louie. Roaches use their feelers, or antennae, as noses. Their sense of smell is so great, they recognize family and friends by their distinctive odors (as do some of the patrons of several pool rooms.)

Roach Perfume

Female roaches attract male roaches by producing pheromones. Pheromones are chemicals that make the female roach smell REALLY good to the male roach.

Alright Kids, Beat It!

Some female cockroaches incubate their egg cases in their bodies until they are ready to hatch. These babies stay with their mothers a day or two after they are born.

Yuck!

Male cockroaches transfer sperm to females in a "gift-wrapped" package called a spermatophore. Some males cover the package in a protein-rich wrapping that the female can eat to obtain nutrients to raise her young. Mmmm...yummy!

(just some NPR stuff that seemed interesting.)

Regards,

Ken
<hr></blockquote>

?? ... a case of entirely too much free time on ones hands.BS

Kato
08-16-2002, 02:00 PM
Ken, you ever been to Florida? Shoot son, we walk our roaches on leashes 'round these parts.

Kato

08-16-2002, 03:11 PM
Ok here's how I see it...

Here's my Plus and Minus on this post.

-Minus
-I'm grossed out

*Plus
-I learned something new

-MINUS
-I feel itchy

*PLUS
-I have a shower near by

-MINUS
-This was very NPR.

*PLUS
-I know I'm around people like me (NUTZ) =) (what better company) LOL.

Snooky

9 Ball Girl
08-16-2002, 03:21 PM
I am deathly afraid of anything that has more than 4 legs. Especially cockroaches. Yuck!!! Those things can so easily be mutated what with the different kinds of poisons out there. Yuck!!! I had a waterbug once in my apartment, I swear I almost passed out. Thank God my bug-squishing bud Naz was there to take care of it. Yuck!!!

Wendy~~Yuck!!!

nAz
08-16-2002, 03:27 PM
9BallGirl has roaches in her house that do tricks... she trained (mutated) them to play pool on a minture pool table its simply amazing! some can even run out /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

08-16-2002, 05:09 PM

MikeM
08-16-2002, 05:27 PM
please get Ken a date, he has waaaaay too much time on his hands!

MM

rackmup
08-17-2002, 06:34 AM
I was in Ft. Lauderdale one summer for a meeting and while walking to a restaurant, I had one of your "Florida Strain" roaches fly from a street light to my shoulder. It had such a grip, I could feel it's little roach feet gripping through my shirt and into my shoulder.

It demanded my wallet. I complied. I didn't want any trouble. He was last seen running eastbound toward an awaiting water taxi.

Regards,

Ken

PQQLK9
08-17-2002, 06:53 AM
Every night, Joe would go down to the liquor store, get a six pack, bring it home, and drink it while he watched TV. One night, as he finished his last beer, the doorbell rank. He stumbled to the door and found a six-foot cockroach standing there. The bug grabbed him by the collar and threw him across the room, then left.

The next night, after he finished his 4th beer, the doorbell rang. He walked slowly to the door and found the same six-foot cockroach standing there. The big bug punched him in the stomach, then left.

The next night, after he finished his 1st beer, the doorbell rang again. The same six-foot cockroach was standing there. This time, he was kneed in the groin and hit behind the ear as he doubled over in pain. Then the big bug left.

The fourth night Joe didn't drink at all. The doorbell rang. The cockroach was standing there. The bug beat the snot out of Joe and left him in a heap on the living room floor.

The following day, Joe went to see his doctor. He explained the events of the preceding four nights. "What can I do?" he pleaded.

"Not much" the doctor replied. "There's just a nasty bug going around."

nAz
08-17-2002, 11:24 AM
hm wonder how fast a six foot tall roach can run. 700mph?
wonder if 9ballGril could train one to play pool

9 Ball Girl
08-17-2002, 11:40 AM
I'm going to have to start charging for pool lessons! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Wendy~~Yuck!!!