PDA

View Full Version : Fusion Tables???

Soflasnapper
12-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Saw the largish (huge side rail areas!!!) Fusion Table brand being used at the Sunday-televised Challenge of the Champions tourney.

I was pretty impressed with the concept and their execution of it as shown in the ad spots (even though it's not entirely new)-- they've put together an apparently decent slim-line pool table (3/4" one-piece slate) and tricked it up as a dining room or conference table with fitted wood-look covers.

Their website at fusiontables.com has a fair amount of information, including a video of their advertisement spot, BUT I couldn't find any pricing information, and apparently, they're only offering 8-footers?!?!

Offered under Aramith's brand, not sure if Aramith makes them or just used a naming license agreement for marketing.

Did you see the table on those broadcasts? Any information beyond what the website offers ($$$ cost, or other?)

If you saw it, what do you think of such large width expanses on the side rails? Would it change anything about playing, other than forcing the body maybe 4-6 inches further away from any given shot? Shooting on semi-antique-looking furniture tables (Gandys, Olhausens) featuring braided-leather drop pockets, THOSE side rails are skinnier than a typical Brunswick GC, and I don't prefer the skinnier width rails (not sure why-- maybe the rail bridging?). But I haven't experienced the super-wide rails, so I don't know.

One interesting wrinkle-- the pockets are a memory nylon, which expands to hold multiple pocketed balls, but return to their prior unstretched shape once the weight is removed. (Wonder if that feature holds up?)

JoeW
12-21-2009, 12:43 PM
I too was impressed and would seriously consider if I were looking for a table. Google Fusion Tables and then select "shopping" I saw a few for $6,400 - $6,800. Seems that they come with a bunch of stuff, Pool table accessories, four sticks, benches or chairs and even a ping pong table top.

My main concern was the 3/4" slate but from what I saw at the tournament the "lighter" slate did not appear to be a problem. They do not come standard with Simonis cloth and there is something about how the pockets deform to accept balls that I would want to look into before buying.

It appears that cloth replacement is like any other table with wooden supports for staples etc.

All in all a great idea and one I would seriously consider. They may be setting a new standard with their adjustable legs, steel frame, etc.

The single piece slate may present some problems and eliminate other problems so there is a trade off here.

1hit1der
12-21-2009, 02:34 PM
The table for the tournament was probably specially constructed and had thicker slate. Some of the players I've talked to mention it feels a little unstable so if you bump it, it vibrates. Not enough to move balls out of position, but more noticeable than say other tables. They didn't find the wide rails to be a problem. But one thing to keep in mind is that the legs come straight down from the outside corners (instead of underneath like most tables), so it's a tripping hazard if you forget it's there as you're walking around to your next shot.

Soflasnapper
12-21-2009, 04:09 PM
As a somewhat spaced-out clumsy person, that could be a drawback for me. I see myself stifling an obscenity about stubbing my toe (again!).

DeadCrab
12-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Brunswick makes a very similar table. Chrome, wide rails, and guy wires ... all for under $20K.

http://www.brunswickbilliards.com/brunswick_collection/tables/contemporary/manhattan.html

I saw some of the match on the fusion table. Pockets dealt a lot of rejection.

wolfdancer
12-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Joe, I have worked with one of the top mechanics in the country, setting up new rooms, taking down a few that failed, and recovering the tables on several rooms. He also put out his own line of tables....I'm qualifying his opinion and not mine. Slate is porous and can absorb moisture, and warp. It'll also warp if it isn't stored correctly.
He wouldn't work on any of these foreign made tables with a less then 1" slate...because of that. I'm guessing the thinner the slate, the more susceptible to warping. I saw examples of a top table manufacturer, that put out a home version of their table, and a new room owner, cutting corners had them installed. Less then a year later, Bob was called in to try to fix them as they had become "unplayable" for the better players. It took installing a center beam support system, reframing the slates, and a ton of shims.....
Many of the cheap tables do not have a longitudinal center support beam....and the cheapest ones have a one piece slate.
The old Brunswick 10 ft'rs had 2" slate and as I remember each piece weighed around 260-280 lbs, and they were 4 piece slate.... many table mechanics injured themselves handling it.
The 9 ft'rs had 1 1/2" slate.....

Gayle in MD
12-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Wolf,
I'd say your thoughts on the subject, are right on.

When I was researching tables, more than one of the table manufacturers told me that there is no way that any furniture table, can compare to a pro tournament table.

Over the years, I've played on quite a few different tables, owned by friends....none can compare to my Diamond Pro.

My friends agree, and several have sold their more expensive tables, just to get one like mine.

Diamond's workmanship just can't be beat. American made, in one location, and they stand behind their product.

G.

wolfdancer
01-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Gayle,after seeing pics of your room, and also familiar with the quality of Diamond tables....I'm envious....my own table plays ok, but it's out in my garage, and it's cold out there...I'm worried about my balls freezing....wonder if I should bring them inside?
I was at an exhibition for Charity, Golf match between Tom Kite and Patty Sheehan (oddly enough Pat Sheehan, non related, built my table)
Tom was telling this story about how one of his amateur partners had this great set of woods, and Tom was admiring them so much, that the guy said he would put them in his will for Tom.....(this was way before today's metal woods)....
Tom joked that he couldn't wait to get his hands on them woods.
I was wondering if you might will that table to me? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif (include a heater, will ya?)

Gayle in MD
01-05-2010, 11:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle,after seeing pics of your room, and also familiar with the quality of Diamond tables....I'm envious....my own table plays ok, but it's out in my garage, and it's cold out there...I'm worried about my balls freezing....wonder if I should bring them inside?
I was at an exhibition for Charity, Golf match between Tom Kite and Patty Sheehan (oddly enough Pat Sheehan, non related, built my table)
Tom was telling this story about how one of his amateur partners had this great set of woods, and Tom was admiring them so much, that the guy said he would put them in his will for Tom.....(this was way before today's metal woods)....
Tom joked that he couldn't wait to get his hands on them woods.
I was wondering if you might will that table to me? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif (include a heater, will ya?) </div></div>

It's yours, as long as I go first... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Gee, I never knew that billiards balls could freeze /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif maybe you should bring them in doors, when the temp drops, or have a drink????

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif