PDA

View Full Version : Please help my game

USM_ITCboy
12-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Hey guys. It's been awhile since I've posted. I posted earlier this year but somehow my account was deleted when things were going wonky with the board.

Anyways, I REALLY need some help with my game. I posted a Youtube clip of me playing with my roommate and I was hoping that maybe someone could help me with some of the problems they see in my (or my roommate's) game. Its 10 min long but I would GREATLY appreciate any time spent watching and commenting. Commenting on my game on this board would be more beneficial as I would know they would come from knowledgeable teachers and players rather than commenting on Youtube. Thank you guys.

Btw, I'm the one in the blue shirt.

Lol. Sorry, the link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxnxyFRA8Ew

pooltchr
12-27-2009, 05:22 PM
You're both wearing blue shirts!!

Steve

USM_ITCboy
12-27-2009, 06:35 PM
My roommate is in the pullover. I'm in the short-sleeve shirt

marek
12-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Hi! I watched the video and noticed some things that hurt your game. First of all you have very tight grip, that keeps you from doing really good followthrough = less spin = much more power needed when playing draw = bigger chance for missing balls. Try to loosen your grip, it will help you big time. Another serious flaw - you raise your head on almost every shot, the tougher the shot the more you raise your head = through this you mess your stance and head alignment = your shots dont go in. Dont watch the object ball all the way to the pocket, just focus on the contact point between the cue ball and the object ball, you wont raise your head again on the shot I promise you! Another flaw - you raise your cue butt about 10 degrees even if you dont have to quite often = any side spin (unwanted spin on straight shots for example) turns into a masse shot = more missing. Try to shoot with your cue as level with the table as possible. Last flaw I found (but not sure of this as camera angle provided only one shot as the example) - it seems that your wrist is crooked towards the body during the shot = your stroke is not straight = adressing the cue exactly the way you want it is quite hard. Try to position your elbow closer to the body, it should be perfectly above the wrist because the wrist "knows" what its doing - its the brain trying to position the cue on the axis of the stroke.
Hope this helps.
Marek
P.s.: I am no instructor by any means but some people say I can shoot some... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

JJFSTAR
12-28-2009, 04:41 PM
I will send you a PM in a day or 2 look for it. My comment will be too long for the general board BTW where are you located?

BCA Master Instr
12-28-2009, 05:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USM_ITCboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys. It's been awhile since I've posted. I posted earlier this year but somehow my account was deleted when things were going wonky with the board.

Anyways, I REALLY need some help with my game. I posted a Youtube clip of me playing with my roommate and I was hoping that maybe someone could help me with some of the problems they see in my (or my roommate's) game. Its 10 min long but I would GREATLY appreciate any time spent watching and commenting. Commenting on my game on this board would be more beneficial as I would know they would come from knowledgeable teachers and players rather than commenting on Youtube. Thank you guys.

Btw, I'm the one in the blue shirt.

Lol. Sorry, the link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxnxyFRA8Ew </div></div>

Maybe this will help! I watched your entire video twice with stop action. I'm just going to be brutally honest.

1. Your grip is way too tight. Cradle the cue don't grip it.

2. You also have an untrained cue stick. It never goes in the same place twice in a row.

3. At 2:33 you have your best form. Very nice SPF.

4. At 2:57 your cue stick goes sideways, watch it.

5. At 4:38 this may be your best delivery. Look at where your back hand finishes. That's where it's suppose to be on every shot. Also 6:45 is real good.

6. On your second break watch your head jump straight up in the air. (scratch)

7. At 8:26 look at your cue tip. Should be pointing down, not up. That's because your back hand and shoulder drop on a lot of shots.

8. What Rules where you playing?

9. Your roommate has very smooth form.

Get the grip loose and the back hand home.

BCA Master Instructor
Randy Goettlicher

wolfdancer
12-29-2009, 01:13 AM
I watched, but only about 4 minutes of it. He has a better looking set up then I have...with a lesson, or two, from one of the SFP guys, he could really be a player.
I think that is my problem also...an untrained cue stick. Damn thing just won't send the ball in the direction I want it to go.
Maybe i could send the cue to Cue-Tech fer some training???? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Hey....hope you and the great staff down there, have a great New Year...with continued success!!!

Billy_Bob
12-29-2009, 07:46 AM
I just watched the first game...

I like to be positive, and good to get positive comments along with suggestions...

Anyway I see you doing a lot of good stuff! Good job. And you won! And I always say if you are winning, then no problem!

I see you altering your speed depending on the shot. Good! And leaving the cue ball for your next shot. Excellent!

So lots of good stuff you can do which many people have trouble with. You will be a very good player.

The only thing I would say, is for the shot I saw you miss (ball on the rail),... Buuuzzzzzt! GONG! Not allowed to miss a shot like that! Practice that same exact shot 100 times. Over and over and over and over and over.

Those on the rail shots are tricky. They can be frozen to the rail or slightly off the rail like 1/8 inch. A different shot!

So practice 100 frozen to the rail. Then 100 1/8 inch off the rail. (Before shooting these shots, I walk over and look to see if the ball is frozen to the rail or slightly off the rail.)

For the slightly off the rail balls, outside english will not "throw" the ball into the rail. And you can have the cue ball hit the rail first, then bounce back out and THEN hit the ball. Might want to experiment and see what works best for you.

So that's all there is to it. Keep track of shots you miss or things you have trouble with, then shoot the same exact shot 100 times.

Over time you will get to be quite good at these!

bradb
12-29-2009, 02:46 PM
It's really hard to tell from the video... I did'nt see any out standing problems, even your buddy who did'nt pocket well has good techinque. So its a matter of exprerience.

Play good players... practice... watch a lot of pro videos. Also take some pro lessons if you want to move to another level. -brad

USM_ITCboy
12-29-2009, 03:28 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!!!! Ya'll have no idea how much that helped. It's so nice to find people who will give me the positive and negative criticism. I've noticed most of the problems that ya'll mentioned. Awhile back I was always getting compliments on how good my form was. But for the past 6 months I've really been slacking on my playing/practicing so now I truly see how much I've declined.

I have a few questions: I've definitely been told that I'm raised up too high but it feels like my grip hand is going to run into the rail. Does anyone have a remedy for that? I'm not sure what ya'll mean by an untrained cuestick? Could someone explain or is that something I should already know?

I live & play in Mississippi & we were playing standard 9-ball rules. Some things we dont really go by like the 3 break balls past the headstring but other than that it's normal rules.

Again thank you for this & I will take all this to the table

BCA Master Instr
12-29-2009, 05:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USM_ITCboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!!!! Ya'll have no idea how much that helped. It's so nice to find people who will give me the positive and negative criticism. I've noticed most of the problems that ya'll mentioned. Awhile back I was always getting compliments on how good my form was. But for the past 6 months I've really been slacking on my playing/practicing so now I truly see how much I've declined.

I have a few questions: I've definitely been told that I'm raised up too high but it feels like my grip hand is going to run into the rail. Does anyone have a remedy for that? I'm not sure what ya'll mean by an untrained cuestick? Could someone explain or is that something I should already know?

I live & play in Mississippi & we were playing standard 9-ball rules. Some things we dont really go by like the 3 break balls past the headstring but other than that it's normal rules.

Again thank you for this & I will take all this to the table </div></div>

I already told you where your back hand has to go. Do it and you will NEVER hit the table......

Fran Crimi
12-29-2009, 06:57 PM
You look good. Overall I can see the work you put into your game but now you need to step it up to the next level which involves a little more self-discipline at the table. See each shot through to the end with your eyes and your head. Keep them still until it's over. You missed a few shots simply because you thought the shot was done as soon as you felt impact with your cue stick. It's deceiving, because you're really training yourself to take your eyes off the shot just before impact, so if you stay determined to see it through all the way to follow- through, you won't look away before impact. That's the major thing I see going on which is very fixable.

The other thing you can improve on somewhat is your approach. Step into each shot with a little more intent. Place your feet exactly where you want them to be.

Fran

DrGoatcabin
01-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Everyone has pretty much covered your issues that I saw during the video. What I saw (and there has been A LOT of controversy over this) is in your stroke right before you hit the ball. You initially stroke at the ball at one speed, then you stop stroking as if you're just starting to aim at the ball, then you take your shot. I was doing the same thing whenever I first started and missing some very "basic" shots. Try hitting the ball at the same speed that you stroke at the ball. What this means is that you will probably stroke at different speeds from shot to shot. What this does is give you better control over your cue and make you care a little more about the mechanics of your stroke.

IMO your stroke is your approach to the shot and getting the "feel" of the shot. I.E. the speed you are going to hit the cueball, the english you are going to put and the leave you are expecting afterwards. When you stall your stroke like that you increase the chance of missing where you're aiming when you stroke to hit the ball. Right now, you're essentially stroking at the ball, stopping, starting your stroke over again and only stroking at it once.

I used the word "stroke" waaaay too many times there.

Give it a try. See if it helps. Happy stroking!