PDA

View Full Version : jumpcues

bluecuemon
12-28-2009, 10:15 AM
i need good advice about jump cues i bought a "Fury" jumpcue from cuesitebilliards without seeing it until it came in the mail.it cost $99.00.the stick is only 42inches long,isthis an acceptable lgth.it seems to short for my grip and im only 5ft8in,not a big person.maybe its supposed to be held like a dart.when i hold it with a conventional grip my forearm is already in front of my elbow before i even start my stroke. Help!

Bambu
12-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Sounds like the normal length. Try bending your bridge hand elbow, and put your face right up close to the cue ball. Leaning into the shot will allow you to extend your back swing. Aim for the apex of the cue ball, and think speed.

You may also want to check out Dr. Daves resources, and some youtube videos. Good luck, bluecue!

Texas Law Man
12-29-2009, 07:46 PM
If you are going to use it in league, make sure you have the right tip. Some will not allow phenolic tips.

Tony_in_MD
12-30-2009, 06:26 AM
...and some leagues will not allow jump cues either.

KellyStick
01-08-2010, 12:09 PM
APA does not allow a jump cue.

If there is a local tournament in town with one of the leagues like APA you might have someone there selling these. We had a guy with one that I wish I had purchased. During a break me and a friend both tried out the jump cue. He showed us how to use it and both me and my friend were jumping balls near effortlessly literally on the second try. So you might be able to try a jump cue before you purchase it and also get some lessons on how to use it.

Cornerman
01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bluecuemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i need good advice about jump cues i bought a "Fury" jumpcue from cuesitebilliards without seeing it until it came in the mail.it cost $99.00.the stick is only 42inches long,isthis an acceptable lgth.it seems to short for my grip and im only 5ft8in,not a big person.maybe its supposed to be held like a dart.when i hold it with a conventional grip my forearm is already in front of my elbow before i even start my stroke. Help! </div></div>It's the correct legal length (minimum 40"). It can be held conventionally or dart.

Fred

Sid_Vicious
01-09-2010, 03:11 PM
My advice is to develop and use the dart stroke. It's easier than the under stroke in execution, far more comfortable and more accurate. I see many, many more successful jump shots using the dart here locally, and I see the professionals on TV flubbing under hand jump attempts fairly regularly. Maybe the TV pros think it looks stupid to be a darter, but it's them who look bad by missing the hit that even local B-players hits with the dart stroke.

Any stroke for position after a jump shot can be done as efficiently with the dart as with the under stroke, and like I said, your accuracy on hitting the OB is more consistent. I'll surely get flamed here after this, but it's true. If a so-called professional player wants to tout the under stroke over the dart, then I'll gladly enjoy watching them next time on ESPN going for a jump with a ball-ball-in-a-half hop. Even the 2-3 ball jumps get flubbed on TV, and that's unforgivable IMO for their sponsors.

Another thing...dart stroking fits shorter players a lot better than the under stroke. Darting is easily done flat footed, in fact, getting on the toes for the dart makes for an over complicated stance, and traps. Relax in stance, even lean back a bit. It ain't hard.

Grip the jumper with the forefinger and the thumb, at or near the joint connection. With practice, you'll find it very easy, and then you can begin to swerve, jump-stop, and jump follow. Nuff of my soap box...sid

gabeski
01-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Excelent advice on the subject can be found right here on the main page, under Tony Robles, Deconstructing the jump shot. after reading his advice and practicing it I can now jump pretty successfully, where before it was a guessing game.

gabeski
01-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Oh by the way I am only 5'6" and had been advised that due to my heighth darting was the only way for me, NOT SO. see previous post.

Sid_Vicious
01-15-2010, 12:22 PM
At 5'6", you're going to have limitations with CBs resting 2+ diamonds away from all rails if your chosen style is under. Aside from the dart being generally easier to tame and actually make jump-angle hits for hitting pockets, the extra range for reach is definitely real. All in all, I still have to tout the dart.

A recent example of this came at league this week. I ran a rack of 8-ball down to the 8, and hooked myself for the actual 8ball. Even at my height of 5-11, the stretch for the jump would have been very uncomfortable played under and not dart. I called the side pocket, having to cut about 20 degrees for the pot, and using the dart, zinged the 8 dead center in the pocket, and maintained keeping control of the CB. With the range/distance for that jump,,,it'd been a bear for an under-stroke, if even possible.

I suppose though, that a lot depends on how much a player limits themselves to actually selecting to use the jump. I use it a lot, sometimes even out toward the center of the table(I use a mechanical bridge and dart for that.)Anyway, I'm in the minority using the dart. I don't care, I hit most all the jumps, and a fair percentage of OBs are made on a good day...sid

Soflasnapper
01-16-2010, 04:24 PM
I totally agree that for some cue ball locations, the dart jump is the only way to go if you're going to jump.

So it would be desirable to learn that one as well as the 'underhand' (? strange term to me!) more often seen jump.

But as you mention, it seems that when the pros have a jump that they can do with the underhand jump technique, that's what they use to a very large percentage.

Why do you think that is? It looks better? Genuinely curious.

Sid_Vicious
01-16-2010, 06:29 PM
I haven't seen one professional player use the dart, except for the trick shot artists. Why do I think that is? Probably cuz they think it looks sissy. When I see a pro flub a jump with a ball and half to 2-ball distance for the hop, I think "Damn, and they make a living at this sport?!" Even an average b-league player clears that jump when using the dart 80% plus. I just think it should feel embarrassing enough for a pro when they miss clearing an OB when shooting under, that they possibly consider using the sissy shot. Either that, or select a kick shot. People are paying them to be consistent.

So, again, I thing that they continue to select the under stroke because of peer pressure. sid

pooltchr
01-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Sid, I"m with you on this one. I use a dart stroke for a couple of reasons. First, it is much easier to get the ball up in the air quickly, and I can jump a cue ball that is close to the middle of the table. (I'm 5'11"). I feel like I have more control, more flexibility, and better accuracy when the cue is out in fron of me rather than underneath me. It's also easier to align my sight line with a dart style jump.

Advantages far outweight any disadvantages.

Steve