PDA

View Full Version : True Story

Gayle in MD
12-28-2009, 02:56 PM
I overheard this story between some ladies who work together, at the Breast Center, while I was waiting for my Mammo results, and thought I'd share it with you all...

There is a fairly new children's book called "The Elf On The Shelf," written by the great grand-daughter of a woman who pulled out a little ceramic elf, right after Thanksgiving every year, in an effort to get the kids of the house to be good during the hectic time between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The story, now in a book, is that the Elf will die if touched by children, and he flies to the North Pole, every night, to report to Santa on the behavior of the children, and flies back by morning.

Every morning, he is in a different place, in the house, when the children rise. The Elf On The shelf, this one made of cloth, and with moving arms and legs, can be attached, or hung around things, and is included in the purchase of the book.

Here is the story I overheard....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, how is it going with the Elf on the Shelf?

Well, it was working out great in the beginning. Every morning my five and a half year old daughter, and her seven year old brother, rushed all over the house to see where the Elf had landed, after he came back from the North Pole.

During dinner, often I would have the Elf in the dining room, and if they started fighting, I just had to cut my eyes over to the Elf, and they settled right down. For two wonderful weeks, my kids were virtual angels! It was heaven!

Then, one night, I told my husband to leave the elf in the bathroom, before he turned in, because the kids always fight with each other in the mornings when they are supposed to be combing their hair, and brushing their teeth, and washing their hands and faces for school.

Apparently, from a door slam, or something, the Elf, had fallen off the soap holder on the wall, and into the trash can.

I was in the kitchen, and heard them having one of their spats, wondering how they could have missed that Elf, right there on the soap holder, when everything got quiet. They hadn't seen the Elf until they were throwing their paper towels into the trash can, and they both came running into the kitchen...yelling...

That's not fair, that Elf is spying on us! He was in the trash can, hiding, and we didn't even see him! Now, he's going to give us a bad report tonight when he flies to the North Pole!

I just told them that they had better be more careful, no telling where that Elf might be.

A few days went by, and I noticed they were sulking around a lot, and the excitment over.... "Where's the Elf" ....every morning, seemed to be fading.

Then yesterday, I picked them up from school, and they both came out with frowns on their faces, having a heated chat with one another as they came. They climbed into their car seats, quiet as mice, and after I drove a few blocks, my son says....

I don't want to go home!

Me either! said my daughter...

I said, What?! I told you guys we're baking cookies today, after school, and you don't want to go home????!

My son then says, I don't care, I don't want to go home!

My daughter, five, chimes in....

ME NEITHER! I'm sick and tired of that damn ELF! I wish he would fly back to the North Pole, and never come back!

So much for the Elf On The shelf....but it was great while it lasted.

And, damn.... we never cuss around the kids!'

</div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

wolfdancer
12-28-2009, 03:16 PM
great story!!!
Nice to see you back, and hope that you had a great Christmas!!!
It turned out that my $20 present (marked down from $80) was the hit of all the presents my friends kids got. It plugged into the tv set, played music, and showed where to move your feet to the beat. Sensors on a strap that you wore on each shoe, showed where your feet were....and even gave you a score at the end of the song.
My Christmas "present"...my cousin Sue, who was given just hours to live, is making a recovery. She had bled internally and lost more blood then the human body holds.
I borrowed one of the kids toys...a stuffed alligator that plays
"See you later, alligator" and moves it's head and tail to the beat. I want to videotape it, for my niece....or buy one, if they are still available....the dance thing is sold out.
Don't let the "usual suspects" here do their gang-up thing on you, and spoil this holiday week.

Gayle in MD
12-28-2009, 04:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great story!!!
Nice to see you back, and hope that you had a great Christmas!!!
It turned out that my $20 present (marked down from $80) was the hit of all the presents my friends kids got. It plugged into the tv set, played music, and showed where to move your feet to the beat. Sensors on a strap that you wore on each shoe, showed where your feet were....and even gave you a score at the end of the song.
My Christmas "present"...my cousin Sue, who was given just hours to live, is making a recovery. She had bled internally and lost more blood then the human body holds.
I borrowed one of the kids toys...a stuffed alligator that plays
"See you later, alligator" and moves it's head and tail to the beat. I want to videotape it, for my niece....or buy one, if they are still available....the dance thing is sold out.
Don't let the "usual suspects" here do their gang-up thing on you, and spoil this holiday week.
</div></div>
Thank you friend, and all the same back atcha~!

No one could spoil this great Christmas Season, for me, friend. I have way too much to be thankful for, like my family, my health, my wonderful husband, and family, and no worries to speak of.

In fact, I'm packing for a fun trip to a sunny beach, right now!
It's all good!

Love you....

Gayle

eg8r
12-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Cool story. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif It is amazing what kids remember and blurt out at unexpected times.

eg8r

wolfdancer
12-29-2009, 02:52 AM
Enjoy the beach....while I freeze what's left of my *** off here....(the market ain't been good to me lately). /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif ...
But it's the holiday season....and I went birthday shopping for my friend's, now 8 year old(today). I bought him and his sister, this "dance machine" for xmas, which I now think would wear the carpet out in about a month, so I got him what every 8 yr old boy wants for his birthday....a 3 X 4 rug. I told him it was a prayer mat /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif ....
I also bought him the original 3 "Star Wars" DVDs,after first considering "Harry Potter"....but think HP might be for age 10 and up....while even I can follow the plot of "Star Wars"
turned out to be a pretty good choice, as he was into it.

Gayle in MD
12-29-2009, 06:39 AM
I'm sure the kids in your life love their Uncle Jack.

BTW, my grand-daughter played the violin solo at her school's Christmas Program. Silent Night, played it perfectly, and I could stop crying. I was so proud of her.

Then, after Christmas Eve dinner, she played several of my favorite Christmas songs, for the family, then played the piano, and the Guitar!

She looks just like an angel when she's playing the violin.

Then we (She and I) played a duet on the piano, and she played a duet with her dad on the guitar.

She is very musically gifted, and really loves to play all three instruments, but I think the guitar is her favorite....

Glad you had such a great Christmas, friend.

Love,
Gayle

wolfdancer
12-29-2009, 01:05 PM
violin, piano, and guitar !!!! That's amazing.
Sounds like you had an even better Christmas...
I always wanted to play the piano....but...no talent

sack316
12-29-2009, 01:10 PM
I heard someone talking about these things about a month before Christmas. I didn't comment on it, but do remember thinking to myself "wow, if we had those when I was a kid it sounds like it would be sooooo creepy!".

Guess I wasn't alone in that thinking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Cute story G

Sack

Gayle in MD
12-29-2009, 11:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard someone talking about these things about a month before Christmas. I didn't comment on it, but do remember thinking to myself "wow, if we had those when I was a kid it sounds like it would be sooooo creepy!".

Cute story G

Sack </div></div>

As I sat there listening, I was thinking, bet I know where this story is going...

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

wolfdancer
12-30-2009, 02:44 AM
Gayle, speaking of talented kids....this kid is amazing....7 years old and he draws amazing pictures, while I can't even draw a cue ball. He has a waiting list of collectors for his paintings, while my waiting list consists of bill collectors. Great story, and the painting depicted....how did he learn so much about colors and perspective at such an early age?
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Lifeandhealth/Pix/pictures/2009/12/29/1262080827546/After-Gliman-by-Kieron-Wi-001.jpg
talent (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/29/boy-paints-like-old-master)

sack316
12-30-2009, 06:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard someone talking about these things about a month before Christmas. I didn't comment on it, but do remember thinking to myself "wow, if we had those when I was a kid it sounds like it would be sooooo creepy!".

Cute story G

Sack </div></div>

As I sat there listening, I was thinking, bet I know where this story is going...

</div></div>

Yeah, just the mention of the subject itself REEKS of creepiness!

Sack

DickLeonard
12-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Wolfdacer my painting was going going for 2o thousand lbs. Toby Sweet's art is in demand just like Deemans.####

Gayle in MD
12-30-2009, 10:19 PM
I saw that story, about that young fellow. He is amazing.

Have you ever seen Dick's beautiful paintings? Very beautiful. He's quite the talented artist. French Impressionist style.

G.

Gayle in MD
12-30-2009, 10:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard someone talking about these things about a month before Christmas. I didn't comment on it, but do remember thinking to myself "wow, if we had those when I was a kid it sounds like it would be sooooo creepy!".

Cute story G

Sack </div></div>

</div></div>

Yeah, just the mention of the subject itself REEKS of creepiness!

Sack </div></div>

That's funny, Sack. It wouldn't have hit me that way as a child. I just meant that her kids would likely tire of being held to account, and being on their best behavior.

Gee...ya think they're future Republikooks???

wolfdancer
12-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Gayle, I didn't know that Dick was an artist....he did mention something about his paintings, but I wasn't sure if he was kidding.
Are there any photos of them available online?
I had this computer app once....famous paintings and famous museums, when it worked it was great....but it usually crashed my computer
I was in Paris once, for the weekend....did I go to the Louvre?...no,just spent the weekend at the Place Pigalle.... missed the Moulin Rouge as well...but did go to the top of the Eiffel tower.

Gayle in MD
12-30-2009, 10:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle, I didn't know that Dick was an artist....he did mention something about his paintings, but I wasn't sure if he was kidding.
Are there any photos of them available online?
I had this computer app once....famous paintings and famous museums, when it worked it was great....but it usually crashed my computer
I was in Paris once, for the weekend....did I go to the Louvre?...no,just spent the weekend at the Place Pigalle.... missed the Moulin Rouge as well...but did go to the top of the Eiffel tower.
</div></div>

Dick's paintings are quality work. Quite beautiful. I used to have some of them, which he had e-mailed to me, but I lost all of them due to a computer attack, after which, I bought a new computer.

I really wish I had printed them up, but I put it off, waiting for a particular printer that I was going to buy, and by the time it became available, my computer problems ruined my plans.

So far, this latest computer hasn't assaulted me. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

wolfdancer
12-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Maybe Dick can put them into a collection and have them hosted online.
picasaweb.google.com/ .....is a great, free photo hosting app, that allows you to have only your invites see your photos. Photobucket is another.

eg8r
12-31-2009, 07:00 AM
Come on Dick, post the paintings. Who was the guy from Canada that used to post his? He was really good also.

eg8r

DickLeonard
12-31-2009, 09:49 AM
Gayle I am in a funk still haven't finished your paintings. My seizures have left me like Van Gogh.

wolfdancer
01-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Dick, when I was growing up, and reading comic books...(Tv hadn't been invented yet by Philo Farnsworth)...
on the back cover often was this ad...."Draw me and win a free art scholarship" I think everybody won a "partial" scholarship...everybody,..... but me....I am the only one they ever turned down in the 20 years that the ad ran.....
I really screwed up back then as a 10-12 yr old. My step father's brother worked in a comic book factory, and they printed several companies comics, not say, just DC's
I got about 40 a month and gave them away when I finished them. some were first issues I believe.
I got ill some years ago when I read the prices those $.10 comic books were now fetching.
I had occasion several times to visit the SF Art institute....painting, photography, sculpting,....many, many different fields of art. Hard to believe so many of the students were so talented, and at such a young age.
(that school even turned down my "draw me" that I had traced....)

Gayle in MD
01-05-2010, 07:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DickLeonard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle I am in a funk still haven't finished your paintings. My seizures have left me like Van Gogh. </div></div>

Dick,
I am so sorry to hear that. You are always in my heart, and in my thoughts.

I'll call you soon. PM me and give me a good time and day to call. You'll always be one of my heroes!

Love,
Gayle

LWW
01-05-2010, 08:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tv hadn't been invented yet by Philo Farnsworth</div></div>

Philo Farnsworth improved the television in the 1920's ... but he was far from the inventor.

John Logie Baird transmitted moving images in 1925

Boris Rosing became the first to use a CRT in an experimental television system in 1907.

In 1884 Paul Gottlieb Nipkow patented the first electromechanical television, although it broadcast on telegraph lines.

Leonardo DaVinci, centuries before, developed a means of showing different pictures on a large "SCREEN" my means of rotating blocks operated by cables.

The operator could change the picture one "FRAME" at a time by seeing the picture on a sketch and then flipping all the blocks/pixels until the large display matched the sketch.

This is the same principle, although conducted electronically and at far greater speed and in more the 4 available options of white/lt gray/dk gray/black which DaVinci's machine offered.

LWW &lt;---Paid attention in school.

eg8r
01-05-2010, 12:27 PM
lww, you just could not help yourself, could you. wolfie had a nice post and you jumped on him.

I also cannot draw worth a lick and I really don't care who invented the TV.

eg8r

wolfdancer
01-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks, Ed.
Who invented Tv was not the theme of my post,and since we all know how to use Google, all lww's insider's info is readily available by asking "Who invented TV?" There are some sites that do list Philo as it's main inventor, but maybe it was "Philo Beddoe", Clint Eastwood's role in the 1978 movie "Every Which way But Loose"
the tube (http://www.ask.com/web?q=who%20invented%20television&o=2832&ef_id=1370:3:41520d6ac1d82ffdbc1d668a55190fb4_3505 572475:S0OiyNB6MjYAAHrJT2EAAAaA:20100105203624)
It was just a throwaway line in my post trying to date myself...
My tv memories do date myself.
My Aunt bought the first one in our family, and they used to send a tech out to explain it's intricate controls....like horizontal,vertical, contrast. A couple of hours after he left, the damn thing literally blew up.
Grandma had the next one I remember....the biggest one ever, I had seen....19". I shined shoes on fri nites to earn my weekend spending money, but at 10pm, I was at her house to watch wrestling with her....it was her favorite program, and she really got into it.
My other memory, I was in the Navy at the time,and would stop in Albany, Ny to break up my trip back to the base. The bar had the first color TV I had ever seen...and I can still remember being amazed at seeing the contrasting colors of the roses and the bush they were on. Color tv had been held back for the U.S. as they couldn't decide between the CBS Columbia "color wheel" system, or the RCA system that was adopted....I didn't have to use google for that....and it's of minor importance anyway.
I'm sure there are many internet sites where being the smartest one there is of great importance, some kind of intellectual, dick measuring contest....trying to prove that here is
a waste of everyone's time.

LWW
01-06-2010, 09:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lww, you just could not help yourself, could you. wolfie had a nice post and you jumped on him.

I also cannot draw worth a lick and I really don't care who invented the TV.

eg8r </div></div>

I was merely helping wolfie add to his knowledge base. I am well aware that you don't much care for the facts, but some of us do.

LWW

JohnnyD
01-06-2010, 09:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, Ed.
Who invented Tv was not the theme of my post,and since we all know how to use Google, all lww's insider's info is readily available by asking "Who invented TV?" There are some sites that do list Philo as it's main inventor, but maybe it was "Philo Beddoe", Clint Eastwood's role in the 1978 movie "Every Which way But Loose"
the tube (http://www.ask.com/web?q=who%20invented%20television&o=2832&ef_id=1370:3:41520d6ac1d82ffdbc1d668a55190fb4_3505 572475:S0OiyNB6MjYAAHrJT2EAAAaA:20100105203624)
It was just a throwaway line in my post trying to date myself...
My tv memories do date myself.
My Aunt bought the first one in our family, and they used to send a tech out to explain it's intricate controls....like horizontal,vertical, contrast. A couple of hours after he left, the damn thing literally blew up.
Grandma had the next one I remember....the biggest one ever, I had seen....19". I shined shoes on fri nites to earn my weekend spending money, but at 10pm, I was at her house to watch wrestling with her....it was her favorite program, and she really got into it.
My other memory, I was in the Navy at the time,and would stop in Albany, Ny to break up my trip back to the base. The bar had the first color TV I had ever seen...and I can still remember being amazed at seeing the contrasting colors of the roses and the bush they were on. Color tv had been held back for the U.S. as they couldn't decide between the CBS Columbia "color wheel" system, or the RCA system that was adopted....I didn't have to use google for that....and it's of minor importance anyway.
I'm sure there are many internet sites where being the smartest one there is of great importance, some kind of intellectual, dick measuring contest....trying to prove that here is
a waste of everyone's time. </div></div>Tell us more wolfdancer please tell us more you old navy man.