PDA

View Full Version : NYC Waterways!(NPR)

CarolNYC
08-16-2002, 04:30 AM
Fran invited my daughter and myself on a speedboat trip yesterday(rather large boat-slept 4,kitchen,bathroom,etc.)up the Hudson River,Harlem River to City Island for a lobster/seafood lunch.If anyone visits NY, try to take a boat ride because the architecture of the bridges of NY is quite magnificent-I now look at this city in a whole new perspective.We travelled back via the East River and as we "floated" into NY Harbor, we were dodging the SI FerrY,NY Waterway Ferry(who travel ~50mph)and the Cruiselines Ships-adrenalin and laughter were pumping all the way!Barb, DO NOT bring your sailboat into NY Harbor!:)Fran had to "Captain"this speedboat several times,jumping swells,whizzing by tugboats,"Captain,O Captain",not only my bestfriend/mentor, but this Lady can handle a speedboat!Thank-you Fran for "making my day!"Now, on to Maryland!
Have a great day,all!
Carol~back to POOL MODE!

Fran Crimi
08-16-2002, 05:46 AM
Carol, you left out the best part: We um...had a little trouble docking. Those slips are mighty narrow, so Carol jumped off the boat on to the dock, grabbed a tie-line and literally dragged us into the slip. What a massive display of strength! Hahaha!

It was a really great trip. I think we went under every bridge in NYC; George Washington, Triboro, Whitestone, Throgs Neck, Queensborough, Williamsburgh, Manhattan, and finally under the Brooklyn Bridge before we made the turn around the lower end of Manhattan.

NY Harbor is definitely not for wimps. That's not a torch Lady Liberty is hoding up. It's a traffic signal. Yikes! Lookout!!

Great fun.

Fran

PQQLK9
08-16-2002, 06:15 AM
sounds like a yacht of fun.../ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif...

CarolNYC
08-16-2002, 07:06 AM
Oh Yes, the see no evil,hear no evil,speak no evil,ha ha ha-I figured I'd omit the treacherous and fearless perils we had to endure,otherwise it would be entitled "Voyage of the SS Minnow!"ha haha-my side is killing me from laughter-on to our NEXT adventure!
Carol~May Lady Libertys light forever shine!:)

CarolNYC
08-16-2002, 07:13 AM
Hey Pool Dawg,
Very cool play on words-we did have fun!
Take care!
Carol

Lester
08-16-2002, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hey Pool Dawg,
Very cool play on words-we did have fun!
Take care!
Carol <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;A THREE HOUR TOUR, A THREE HOUR TOUR!
****Lester****

Rod
08-16-2002, 02:03 PM
"Voyage of the SS Minnow!" ha, it does make you feel a little small now doesn't it? That would be fun, since I like speed or adventure. Looking at those bridges must have been awsome. I was in SF 1 mile from the Golden Gate Bridge when my car died. Had to have it towed on Labor Day weekend. In the time it took them to get there, I could have rented a boat and went under it! 7 hours! Sigh, haven't been over or under. I always liked the history of the Brooklyn and Golden Gate bridge. I have been over the Brooklyn and thru the Lincolin Tunnel though. Old stuff to you guys.

nAz
08-16-2002, 02:58 PM
Carol you know whats better then cruising up the hudson in a speed boat? Kayaking up the hudson /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif its great you can really explore the NYC water front this way. the New York City Downtown Boathouse has free trips all u need to know is how to swim heres their homepage if anyones intrested: http://www.downtownboathouse.org/ (i think they have a floating pool table too) /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Barbara
08-16-2002, 04:54 PM
You have to tell US that??!! Heck, you can't do NYC waters without at least 30+ feet of sailboat and then some!!

Here on the Delaware, 30+ is really pushing it because the river gets narrow and more shallow the farther north you go. The channel is about 40 foot avg until Trenton. Then you're in tubing waters. And then there's the tide. It goes about 8 feet and getting out of a marina can be real close with a solid hull keel that draws more than 4 feet.

Sounded like you had a great time!!

Now, was Fran driving? And if so, how does Fran drive? Like one of those New Yorkers I cringe about when I'm driving in your city?? Nudge me from behind?? Change the lane doing a "thread the needle"?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Barbara

Voodoo Daddy
08-16-2002, 06:24 PM
Welcome to Maritime chat with your co-host's Barbara and Carol, with their special guest Fran.....oops..LMFAO!!!

TomBrooklyn
08-16-2002, 07:06 PM
I take my kayak in the Hudson, and I kayak with some of the DTBH folks. I circumnavigated Manhatten last summer. I like the when the ships pass because you can get on their wakes and surf. If you get a couple of ferries and maybe a tug passing at the same time, the wakes can multiply to waves over 6' high. I like to surf it in the ocean also where the waters cleaner. Kayaking is a semi-wet activity.

Troy
08-16-2002, 07:20 PM
I can well imagine your trip was quite an experience..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Not to come acrss as contrary, but I doubt a Speedboat would sleep four, have a kitchen, or a bathroom.

My brother has a 35' boat with those amenities that is powered by twin 350 CI Chevy engines and it is far from a Speedboat.

Troy

CarolNYC
08-22-2002, 04:03 AM
Lester,
A 9-hour tour!ha ha ha
Carol:)

CarolNYC
08-22-2002, 04:07 AM
Yes Rod,
I felt very small-when your so use to seeing sites from the highway, its a totally different atmosphere from the waterway-there were some things I didnt even recognize!It was awesome!
Carol~glad you enjoyed the Brklyn Bridge!

CarolNYC
08-22-2002, 04:09 AM
Naz,
YOUR CRAZY! Kayaking? ha ha ha-ROFLMAO-yes, you better know how to swim! I'll let Tom do the Kayaking!
Carol

CarolNYC
08-22-2002, 04:12 AM
Barb,
Fran was "an excellent driver" but then "Wapner" came home on and we had to stop at "Kmart!"
ha ha ha!
Carol~glad Barb sails on the Delaware!

CarolNYC
08-22-2002, 04:15 AM
Gods honest truth,Troy,
Maybe "speedboat" is the wrong term-how about "large boat that goes fast?"

Carol~has pictures!

CarolNYC
08-22-2002, 04:19 AM
Voodoo,
I know you'd know this answer-
What do the BUOYS mean?
Carol~need to know for next "perilous journey!":)

Doctor_D
08-22-2002, 04:43 AM
Good morning:

As a former off-shore sailor, having previously owned a Tartan 37' Masthead Sloop, I would refer to the power speed boats as "Nature Rapers" ...

Dr. D.

9 Ball Girl
08-22-2002, 09:04 AM
The name Jacques Cousteau comes to mind. LOL /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Voodoo Daddy
08-22-2002, 05:17 PM
Bouy's are floating markers in the water normally red or green that help with navagation. Bouys primary use are to show the Captain of said vessel to operate within them...keeping vessel in the deepest parts of channels, rivers and waterways. Outside the bouys are normlly low water, protected areas or other obstructions that you cant see but you could hit...damaging your vessel. To learn more about maritime navagation contact your local Coast Gaurd, they will send you some info in the mail...or just ask me on CCB, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Barbara
08-22-2002, 07:05 PM
All I know is, "Red right return"!

And stay out of the channel when the commercial boats are coming through!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Barbara

TomBrooklyn
08-22-2002, 09:15 PM
Quote: CarolNYC:What do the BUOYS mean?

Heres a page that will show you a lot about bouys. You can even take an on-line small boaters course there, then take a test and get a certificate. I did it. Although I also took the real CG Boaters Safety Course also. I recommend it for anyone who is going to skipper their own vessel.

I wound up in a really small boat. It seats one and comes with a paddle. Before that I had a power ski boat, but in the process of breaking up with a girl friend, somehow 'my' boat became 'our' boat, and then it became 'her' boat. =Tom

CarolNYC
08-23-2002, 04:44 AM
Thanks Voodoo,Barb and TOm,
At least ONE OF US on the boat will know what they mean!ha ha ha!
Have a great day!
Carol~realizes there's ALOT more to boating than you think
and still wiping the sweat off my brow!:)