PDA

View Full Version : APA News Flash: Reef Tavern "Bangers" win playoffs

Wally_in_Cincy
08-16-2002, 08:01 AM
Hell I was in a good mood till I read Mr. Ingrate's post. We really need to pray for him. Well here's my story anyway.

Bear with me. The good part is at the end.

We got a team of ballbangers together just for fun this summer for APA 8-ball. We knew we would not win much but that was ok.

We had:
a bad 2
a bad 3
another bad 3
a good 3
a good 4 (Kathy)
a decent 5 (me)

About 2 weeks into the session my friend Dave calls (a good 5) and wants to play with us. I said "sure".

We ended up in next-to-last place out of 12 teams but we got a "wild card" spot in the playoffs. In APA the first place team at the end of a session gets trophies and a berth in the annual regional tourney. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place teams plus a "wild card" team (drawn out of a hat) play 2 rounds of playoffs. The playoff winner also gets trophies and a tourney berth.

Last week we beat the 2nd place team in their house. They were not happy campers.

Last night:
My good 3 lost
Kathy won
Dave won
My bad 3 lost

So it's down to me and their best player (he's a 6). I absolutely annihilated him 4-0 in 6 innings. It was the best pool I've played in months.

Now the good part:
I shook his hand and turned to shake my teammates hands and behind me I heard "5 my a$$" then the unmistakeable sound of a Predator sneaky pete being smashed against the corner of a Valley Dynamo. I wanted to laugh so bad I couldn't stand it.

As that old poolplayer Jackie Gleason used to say "How sweet it is" /ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif

Next time you're practicing drills and wondering if it ever pays off, yes it does /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

So the question submitted to the board is this: Have you ever been a "dark horse" individually or as a team and sneaked up and taken the brass ring?

Thanks for listening,

Lester
08-16-2002, 08:07 AM
CONGRATULATIONS WALLY!!!!!!! A "dark horse" win is especially sweet. ***Lester***

Kato
08-16-2002, 08:29 AM
Round these parts the "stacked" teams always win the non-handicapped leagues and the sandbagging teams always win the APA.

Kato~~~no dark horses in SoFlo, hopefully dreams come true in Cincy.

Bob_in_Cincy
08-16-2002, 09:49 AM
Way to go Wally !! I'm gonna stay away from you from now on !! :-).

Bob_in_Cincy < Momentarily back from the dead

Tom_In_Cincy
08-16-2002, 06:14 PM
Inhouse pool league.. 1998.. we finished 2nd in the regular session league and the 1st place team in our league faced us in the finals of the city tournament.. 60+ teams.. and the finals came down to us facing the only team that had a winning record against us.

We had to win two matches before they did.. three players on a team. They put up their top player, we put up our top player (yeah.. it wasn't me.. ) our player won 7-0.
We then put up our weakest player that should be playing as a 4 but was handicapped as a double bump 6 playing a real 5. He lost 5-5

Then it was me and their 2nd best player. We usually macth up pretty even.... 9 ball, 8 ball 14.1 and one pocket. Race to 6 Eight Ball. Well I was feeling pretty froggy that day and decided to trust my aggressive side of comptition... I won 6-3..

Not what I would consider a "dark horse" situation.. but no one thought we really had a chance.. except US.