PDA

View Full Version : College football playoffs

eg8r
01-02-2010, 07:52 AM
I am so tired of hearing about TCU and Boise State and the rest of the community college football teams that think they can run with the big boys. I wish they would have let Ohio Sate play Boise State and Orgeon play TCU.

What benefit is it to Boise State and TCU to play each other? King of Kiddie conferences? These guys don't play anyone and win, big deal. They should be in division two ball anyways. This is the only reason why I am proponent of a playoff. I don't care about 3 teams being undefeated and one not getting a chance to play, that is how it goes. However, when one of those 3 teams (or 5 in this case, well until last night) is Boise State, TCU or Cincinatti then it just becomes a joke. Sure Boise beat a top team one year and last year Utah beat Alabama, but over the course of time those instances would be limited and the real teams would stick around to the end.

eg8r

sack316
01-02-2010, 03:47 PM
I always flip flop on playoff ideas. Here's the rundown of my general thoughts, as right now I am against it.

The good: it would prevent the controversy of having several undefeated teams. I feel the same as you do in this particular season, though. The title game is right, and I don't think Boise, Cincy, or TCU are in the same league as a Bama or Texas. But say in '04 for example, when USC and OU played, and there was a very strong unbeaten Auburn left out in the cold... that instance at least a plus one format would have been nice. It would also be exciting... and will even myself admit it may be fun sometime to see a mid-major team fighting for a shot against the big boys for a few weeks in a playoff.

The bad: The season would lose meaning. In basketball, March Madness is one of the most exciting things in all of sports! But there's been several great matchups on the hardwood this season so far... and who has cared? Everyone knows it doesn't matter too much until bracket time!

Conference strength would lose meaning. Right now playing in a strong conference gives your team respect in the polls. 9 times out of 10 an unbeaten or one loss SEC champion will generally play in the title game. If there was a playoff, and you knew you only needed to be top 16 or so to have your shot at the title, well ya may as well play in the MAC or C-USA etc. and dominate there rather than struggling through an SEC, ACC, Pac-10, Big 12 type of season.

A 16 or even 32 team playoff could conceivably be done. Now say a 4 or 5 loss team that sneaks in gets hot at the right time. So this season would an 8-4 Stanford (for example) running off 4 or 5 wins at the right time and winning it all be less of a travesty than the complaints we currently may have with the system?

Not to mention we'd still have controversy over who does or doesn't deserve those final seeds into a playoff.

A playoff would be kind of cool, but think it would be at a cost of a lot that is good already about college football.

The BCS system is far from perfect, but a lot better than what we had before at least. And for the most part over the years, it has succeeded in what it was meant to do: put together the right National Title game.

Sack

eg8r
01-02-2010, 05:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would also be exciting... and will even myself admit it may be fun sometime to see a mid-major team fighting for a shot against the big boys for a few weeks in a playoff.
</div></div>This is what makes March Madness so much fun. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If there was a playoff, and you knew you only needed to be top 16 or so to have your shot at the title, well ya may as well play in the MAC or C-USA etc. and dominate there rather than struggling through an SEC, ACC, Pac-10, Big 12 type of season.
</div></div>One of the many things that I have like about Urban and Spurrier, neither coach ever talks National Championship until after the SEC Championship. It is important to win the SEC Championship because of the strength of the conference. A playoff would certainly diminish that to some degree. You are right, I never care who won the SEC tourney in BB. I usually don't even pay attention to college basketball until March so everything you have said up till now I agree. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And for the most part over the years, it has succeeded in what it was meant to do: put together the right National Title game.
</div></div>I agree but I would like it to go one step further and really solidify spots 2-5. Boise, TCU and Cincy don't belong ranked that high and everyone outside of their program and fan base understand this. It is hard to tell an undefeated team that there is more than just wins, it actually matters who you beat. When USF was ranked 1st for a week or two a couple years ago I just laughed at the polls. Give me a break.

eg8r