PDA

View Full Version : 1st 3 rail shot excitement!

phil in sofla
08-16-2002, 10:10 AM
For several years or more, I've known the 3 rail lines, and use them on kicking. But I never had tried to make an object ball bank in that way, never even considering it.

It finally came up in a situation that I recognized. The object ball wasn't on the line, and normally I'd take the reference line, and parallel over, to shoot down that parallelling line.

Instead, I got an off-table vanishing point line on the reference track line, and then shot the object ball toward that target. (An ashtray about 15 feet away, as it turned out!). This was slightly further on the first rail than the parallelling line would have been.

Looked to be slightly offline to the corner pocket coming off the 3rd rail, but it went right in. My opponent did not credit me with intending that shot, and so said nothing. I said nothing, either, but was just about bursting with glee!

I imagine 1 pocket players shoot that shot regularly, not necessarily to pocket it, but with pocket speed, to lay it up by their pocket. Other than 1 pocket, would you ever shoot that shot in competition? (This was just a practice session).

Troy
08-16-2002, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: phil in sofla:</font><hr> For several years or more, I've known the 3 rail lines, and use them on kicking. But I never had tried to make an object ball bank in that way, never even considering it.

.....Other than 1 pocket, would you ever shoot that shot in competition? (This was just a practice session). <hr></blockquote>
I probably would not try a shot like that in 9-Ball due to a possible sell-out, but knowledge of it could come in handy for a safety by modifying the line/angle.

Troy

heater451
08-16-2002, 11:40 AM
I've used it in 8-ball league, on 8-footers, and have in the occasional local 9-ball tournament (either that was available, or I positioned badly--which is most of the time).

I find that using the "magic" diamond--you know, the spot where you hit the first rail for the 3-rail kick?--It works just as well for the 3-rail bank. You have to adjust from table to table, of course. . . .

In a more "serious" tournament/situation, I might consider the "what if I miss?" of it, and look at whether I can miss the 3-rail close to the pocket, but try to leave the cueball fairly safe (but with position on the next ball, should it go in).

I've also been practicing the 3-rails to the side pocket, which I've sank once, during a local 8-ball tourney. --In fact, I got the basic line from a post on the CCB, I believe (3rd diamond from the end rail, to the opposite side first diamond, if I recall correctly. . . .I'll edit this later, if necessary.)

======================

phil in sofla
08-16-2002, 11:51 AM
My shot came up from what I was left by my opponent in a practice session of 9 ball. Deciding I didn't see any better safety opportunity, and hoping if I missed I'd miss short, hit the long rail and maybe go to the middle of the sort rail for a semi-safety that way.

Still not convinced I should shoot this shot when it counts, although in 8 ball, leaving the ball hanging close to the pocket would normally be ok. I guess I definitely shouldn't shoot it when it counts for only the 2nd time I've tried it, meaning I should work on this more in practice to decide how well it works and get the right speed for the shot, before thinking it I've got it down because it went in this one time.

phil in sofla
08-16-2002, 11:55 AM
When I kick that 3 rail route, I use running English (half a tip high, full tip side). To get the OB spinning that same way, I used bottom outside English on the shot, which should get the OB running the rails with the running English.

Would you hit a three rail bank with that kind of stroke, or use center ball?

Rod
08-16-2002, 12:11 PM
Just hope no one moves the ashtray before you set up. LOL Yes one pocket it is common, speed related as you mentioned.
Golf is all about 1 to 4 rail banks, speed related again. 9 ball it comes up more often that people would imagine. You just have to be alert or knowledgeable to see it. It's used in safetys all the time. Sometimes though you can play those rail shots and have a safety valve built in, especially when it leaves you good position on the next ball. If this is the case, rather than just playing a safety, why not play a pocket? It is overlooked many times from 1 or more rails.

Rod
08-16-2002, 12:27 PM
If the shot was on, yes a little low outside. Center ball could make it come up short. It really depends on the shot, and how much ball you can see, plus what your doing with the c/b. Inside is a good choice sometimes when the angle is too long. Use what the shot calls for.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-16-2002, 06:00 PM
If this is the 3 rail shot you are describing.. then I use it in 9 ball and one pocket.

For a safety in 9 ball.. and it fits your description of one pocket.

START(
%Ag9C9%BT0H4%CL9D6%Dl4C9%EN4W0%FH4S5%Gd5N8%H]3E1%IU7G4%PY6L7
%Uf4D4%VZ3L2%Wr6J7%Xh7C6%Yd7Z9%Zs1K5%[I7E6%\c8[0%eB5a9
)END