PDA

View Full Version : Snow in Florida?

eg8r
01-08-2010, 11:16 PM
In the next twelve hours we might see snow here in Orlando. That would be awesome. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif The family is quite excited. My kids wanted to go to sleep in their clothes in case it snowed while they are sleeping. That way they could wake up and run outside before it stopped. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

wolfdancer
01-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Seeing snow live for the first time should be very exciting for kids. I grew up in snow country so it wasn't a novelty for me.
But I had this neat experience of watching a group of kids, getting to play in the snow for the first time. A group of Chinese tourists had arrived late and missed their plane connections to Tahoe, and I ended up driving them there, it was late fall I believe...because the company sent the dispatcher out to the golf course to get me, so the CG was still playable. The roads were fine but there was a nice snow pack, and a recent good snowfall. I stopped up in the mountains, pulled my vehicle off the road, and they all had a great time, the kids and the adults, about 45 of them. Wish I had taped it....I organized a snowball fight....nice powdery snowballs, I just showed them how to make snowballs, they got the "fight" going...
Hope you have a video camera....

milesmuhldoon
01-09-2010, 09:24 AM
wow, what a windbag. tell us now all about the time you just happened upon The Queen of England sunning herself on a bench in
Piccadilly Circus, when you were in the UK having a pint of bitter
before going up to Scotland for the British Open, or when you went walking around the Golden Gate Park Panhandle in Frisco and bumped into Janis Joplin and shared a gulp of Southern Comfort with her, etc. etc.

eg8r
01-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Great story. It seems we are just a bit too far south for the snow, and at this point we only got some really cold rain. The kids are now addicted to the radar maps and are watching it every few minutes. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

My nephew is up in Illinois right now and seeing snow for the first time. When they were stopped at their first rest stop the adults were standing around talking when they noticed Reed was missing (he is 4). When they found him, he was on the sidewalk on his back flapping his arms and legs trying to make a snowman. Pretty funny. They had to move him to the "grass area" where the snow was packed up enough. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

dg-in-centralpa
01-09-2010, 06:23 PM
My parents are coming to Orlando this Thursday for a combo Disney cruise and Epcot. Hope it warms up for them.

DG

wolfdancer
01-09-2010, 06:50 PM
also a good story....
You probably never heard of "jerving"...one of our winter sports.
Cars have to drive slowly through the snow packed streets, that also had an ice layer on the surface. We would grab on to the rear bumper, and get a ride....not too smart, but don't remember anyone getting hurt.
We never heard of a radar map in them days, and anybody could give the weather report "Heavy snow today, followed by a storm tomorrow"

eg8r
01-09-2010, 10:47 PM
That sounds like a great trip. They will in a sense get to travel the world. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Epcot is pretty cool but there is a lot of walking and the cruise will totally be awesome. I hope it warms up for us and them and I hope they have a fantastic trip.

eg8r

eg8r
01-09-2010, 10:50 PM
LOL, we use to do the same thing here but on a skateboard.

Our summers are the same way but with rain. Every day from 3 to 6 you are sure to get at least 15 minutes of rain. The worst part about it is that you can see the steam come off the street and it is hotter than before the rain.

eg8r

wolfdancer
01-10-2010, 12:00 AM
I have been to Piccadilly Circus, and re: Janis and I....a gentleman never tells.

cushioncrawler
01-11-2010, 02:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the next twelve hours we might see snow here in Orlando. That would be awesome. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif The family is quite excited. My kids wanted to go to sleep in their clothes in case it snowed while they are sleeping. That way they could wake up and run outside before it stopped. :)eg8r</div></div>We get snow here about once a year -- uzually melts quick.
But yesterday woz too hot -- i woz felling trees for our new driveWay but hadta stop before mid'arvo.
Worse still -- i only had one beer in the fridge -- gulp.
madMac.