PDA

View Full Version : more racist comments...

sack316
01-10-2010, 07:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(politician) was impressed by Obama's candidacy during the primary campaign, and privately said the country was ready for a black president particularly a "light-skinned" one "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one." </div></div>

Taken from the forthcoming book "Game Change".

What a poor choice of words. The republican party has no conscience!

Oh wait, except that this time it was Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid!

And before it is said there is no proof, or that this is speculation from a book... as soon as this broke Reid immediately called Obama as well as several civil rights groups to apologize for the remark.

As said before, racism isn't exclusive to southern white bubba republicans.

On another note, that "Game Change" book sounds juicy, exposing quite a bit from BOTH sides of the '08 campaigns. Won't go into it all now, but y'all should really look it up and check out some of the stories in it. Plenty for all of us to laugh (or cry considering these are our leaders) about regardless of what side of the aisle you prefer...

Sack

Gayle in MD
01-10-2010, 07:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a poor choice of words. </div></div>

So, what is it then, a poor choice of words, or racism, as your title suggests?

G.

LWW
01-10-2010, 08:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a poor choice of words. </div></div>

G. </div></div>

It is a poor choice of words and ... when viewed by an unbiased observer ... not a big deal at all.

The greater point which you deftly attempted to dodge, but your past partisan intake has left you with far too much baggage in tow to effectively do so, is that had this been a republichicken making the same remark you ... and the balance of the remaining O-cultists ... would be screaming R-R-R-RACISM!!!! at the tops of your collective, and collectivist, lungs.

LWW

eg8r
01-10-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't know about you but I would think any racist comments are a poor choice of words.

eg8r

wolfdancer
01-10-2010, 02:29 PM
"southern white bubba republicans."
They are racist? Well, that is one of the reasons I remain on the board....I learn sumthin new almost every time I log on.

Gayle in MD
01-10-2010, 02:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"southern white bubba republicans."
They are racist? Well, that is one of the reasons I remain on the board....I learn sumthin new almost every time I log on. </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Kind of funny, George Will, conservative columnist, took on Liz Cheney this morning on "This Week With George Stephenopolis" and he surely did not think what Reid said was racist.

My understanding is that Reid has done a great deal for minorities, it's kind of silly, IMO, for anyone to take something he said privately, musing, pre campaign with his cohearts about the candidates, and try to turn it into a major story about racism.

It's much more about what one does, than a witch hunt, set up to trash someone by taking a man's statements out of context.

Biden, a man who I know for sure is not a racist, discussed Senator Obama's attributes, and was accused of the same thing.

Seems one minute the right is whining about political correctness, and the next, they're demanding it, where no demand is even necessary.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

wolfdancer
01-10-2010, 02:50 PM
well I for one, think it is downright nice, southern gentlemanly even, for them now to be sticking up for President Obama,re any slurs by others that involve his race.

Gayle in MD
01-10-2010, 02:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well I for one, think it is downright nice, southern gentlemanly even, for them now to be sticking up for President Obama,re any slurs by others that involve his race. </div></div>

I am noticing lately a divide between the more respected journalists, those who fit the title, conservative, and the radical right.

More conservatives from the moderate right are speaking out against the typical Republican political tactics used by the radical element of their party, against people like Palin, Boehner, Backmann, McConnell, Cheney and his daughter, Beck, and others.

IMO, the Old Line Republican Conservatives, like Will, and Brooke's, for example, both conservative journalists, realize that the radicals will bring about the demise of their party, altogether.

Good to see that some from the right are realizing that. Perhaps, it will lead to some push for more bi-partisanship. IMO, the "Party Of No" tactic, has cost them.

G.

milesmuhldoon
01-10-2010, 03:06 PM
I see nothing Racist in what Reid alleged said...what I do see is the Racist perceptions people have in what he said. we are called White boys...as I remember, years back some, there was a fella by the name of Julian Bond who referred to some people in office as as smart ass White boys and did any of you flipout over that remark?.

sack316
01-10-2010, 03:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a poor choice of words. </div></div>

G. </div></div>

In all honestly, more than likely just a poor choice of words.

However, had it come from a republican's mouth everyone from the left would be up in arms about it... and my guess... not nearly as forgiving as they have been with Reid.

Sack

Gayle in MD
01-10-2010, 03:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a poor choice of words. </div></div>

G. </div></div>

However, had it come from a republican's mouth everyone from the left would be up in arms about it... and my guess... not nearly as forgiving as they have been with Reid.

Sack </div></div>

People from the right are not partisan in their critiques? they don't use racism for political purposes?

Can one be both partisan, and fair, in their analysis of politics and politicians?

All in all, the racial overtones from the radical side of the right, have been pretty consistant, and pretty disgraceful, IMO. Just take a look at this forum....that's why some known moderate Republican journalists are getting fed up with the racist accusations, IMO.

G.

wolfdancer
01-10-2010, 03:33 PM
I don't believe there was an internet then, oh wise one.
Try to keep your comments a little more relevant to today's brave new world. I realize that you haven't read a book since graduating from College, magna cum loudly, but there are other Channels besides Fox, and the others don't have the embedded subliminal messages; also they don't have Myron Beckwith's illegitimate son Glenn?, on as commentator

milesmuhldoon
01-10-2010, 03:39 PM
you call that a rebuttal, WolfDancer, lol!. you call that satire, lol!. you, too, need a new script writer.

Gayle in MD
01-10-2010, 03:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't believe there was an internet then, oh wise one.
Try to keep your comments a little more relevant to today's brave new world. I realize that you haven't read a book since graduating from College, magna cum loudly, but there are other Channels besides Fox, and the others don't have the embedded subliminal messages; also they don't have Myron Beckwith's illegitimate son Glenn?, on as commentator </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> magna cum loudly, </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Ha ha ha....good one

milesmuhldoon
01-10-2010, 05:27 PM
my reading of a book depends on who's written it and what the subject matter is. unlike you, I do not take in every Author's subject matter as FACT. and this is no Brave New World. all it really is the same old same old but with different toys.

wolfdancer
01-10-2010, 07:47 PM
you can take your seat now, and please don't interrupt the class again, unless you have something important to say, like " I have to use the restroom, can I be excused?"

sack316
01-10-2010, 10:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

People from the right are not partisan in their critiques? they don't use racism for political purposes?</div></div>

Never said they don't. Simply illustrating, as I have always maintained, that it is not exclusive to a particular group.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can one be both partisan, and fair, in their analysis of politics and politicians?</div></div>

Yes

Sack

Gayle in MD
01-11-2010, 07:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

People from the right are not partisan in their critiques? they don't use racism for political purposes?</div></div>

Never said they don't. Simply illustrating, as I have always maintained, that it is not exclusive to a particular group.

<span style="color: #000066">Yes, not exclusive, Just far more prevasive in the south. </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can one be both partisan, and fair, in their analysis of politics and politicians?</div></div>

Yes

Sack </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">LOL, Sack, we'd have few differences between us if you would just stop pretending that you are not just as partisan in your views as anyone else. </span>

And before it is said there is no proof, or that this is speculation from a book... as soon as this broke Reid immediately called Obama as well as several civil rights groups to apologize for the remark.

<span style="color: #000066">They, the southern white bubbas, became Republicans after Democratics fought to bring about equal rights, and end discrimination, that's a historical fact. One need only look at the few other than whites, who fill their political gatherings, Sack...it's quite obvious.

Deny, Deny...Reid didn't lie. Even Pat Buchannon calls this a non story. Just shows the desperation of the Republicans and their pundits. Reminds me of all this BS about Obama making us unsafe by closing Gitmo, or the outrage over trying the terrorists in court, when we've been more successful in jailing terrorists through our courts, than through the military.

And, BTW, those many innocent prisoners, who have been released, many of them by D.C. Federal judges, appointed by Republicans....blows away the "Liberal Judges" bs....as well.

Not to change the subject, but, IMO, Reid's statements do not represent racism. Back room political planning, and statements in support of Obama running for office, and the pluses he can capitalize on, isn't racism.

I noticed already how few of the accusations in this book are supported with references.</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif <span style="color: #000066">Anyone who believes the charges made against Bill Clinton in that book, regarding statements made to Ted Kennedy, for example, would have to be either out of their minds, or from the radical right, Oh forgive my redundance... </span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

milesmuhldoon
01-11-2010, 08:16 AM
wow!. you're really pathetic...9,000 posts, lol!. seems like you're trying everything you got to convince yourself of something...9,000 posts. hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......

LWW
01-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Don't be angry at the parrot because the handler doesn't teach it to behave well.

LWW

Gayle in MD
01-12-2010, 07:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milesmuhldoon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow!. you're really pathetic...9,000 posts, lol!. seems like you're trying everything you got to convince yourself of something...9,000 posts. hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....... </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">Well, thanks you, my man, and you are to be even more congratulated, thank you...80 posts already, and not a single one of substance.

Carry on... It's righties like you who remind moderates why they didn't vote Republican last time...</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

hondo
01-13-2010, 07:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a poor choice of words. </div></div>

G. </div></div>

Sack </div></div>

I agree. Because Harry Reid is a Democrat, I do not think there is anything racist about it.

LWW
01-13-2010, 02:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a poor choice of words. </div></div>

G. </div></div>

Sack </div></div>

I agree. Because Harry Reid is a Democrat, I do not think there is anything racist about it. </div></div>

I knew that you could express your true feelings.

LWW

Qtec
01-14-2010, 07:57 AM
in context (http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,61502005001_1953230,00.html)

I don't think what he said was racist, it sounded like the truth.

Q

sack316
01-14-2010, 06:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> in context (http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,61502005001_1953230,00.html)

Q </div></div>

from 4 days ago:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

G. </div></div>

Sack </div></div>

Sack

Gayle in MD
01-14-2010, 10:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> in context (http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,61502005001_1953230,00.html)

Q </div></div>

from 4 days ago:

G. </div></div>

Sack </div></div>

Sack </div></div>

I think that Q was just giving his opinion, not directing it at anyone, although, your title does suggest that you thought it was racist...

Looks like in the end, you agree it wasn't racist at all...and Q agrees.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

sack316
01-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Sounds good to me, agreed /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

Deeman3
01-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Just my 2 cents but Negro is an anthropological term as is caucasian or oriental. It is only archaic in terms of America. Obama, more accurately, is a negro more so than an Africa American as he was not a descendent of the slave negros but the son of a white mother and African man. Yes, that would still make him African American to some extent but we even assume all blacks in this country are African American when only a part of most of their roots are african in most cases.

Reed is indeed a little nuts but not a racist in my opinion. Even the light skinned comment is common among blacks as there is a tiered race culture within their own group.

Blacks are often referred to as negro in many places with no slam intended or taken.

Gayle in MD
01-15-2010, 09:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just my 2 cents but Negro is an anthropological term as is caucasian or oriental. It is only archaic in terms of America. Obama, more accurately, is a negro more so than an Africa American as he was not a descendent of the slave negros but the son of a white mother and African man. Yes, that would still make him African American to some extent but we even assume all blacks in this country are African American when only a part of most of their roots are african in most cases.

Reed is indeed a little nuts but not a racist in my opinion. Even the light skinned comment is common among blacks as there is a tiered race culture within their own group.

Blacks are often referred to as negro in many places with no slam intended or taken. </div></div>

I thought the correct terminology for a bi-racial person, One black parent, and one white parent, was Mulatto....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulatto

I think the word, "negro" is experienced mostly according to the intent behind it's usage.

The racist song, for example, "Barack The Magic Negro"....as played by Limbaugh, and circulated also by Republicans last year, was definitely a racist attack on the president, IMO.

As I understand it, the word, "Negro" is going to be included in the next census.

Maybe, though, we should have Tiger, the Cablinasian, work all this out for us.

Deeman3
01-15-2010, 10:54 AM
I think it is all in context but negro could be racist if used in the wrong way. It is o.k. in United Negro College Fund but probably not in some others.

Barack the Magic Negro and the Negro term used against the NPR guy, are probably more simple pajoritives than racist.

I think the whole thing on both sides is overblown.

Gayle in MD
01-15-2010, 12:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it is all in context but negro could be racist if used in the wrong way. It is o.k. in United Negro College Fund but probably not in some others.

Barack the Magic Negro and the Negro term used against the NPR guy, are probably more simple pajoritives than racist.

I think the whole thing on both sides is overblown. </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">I think it might easily seem overblown, if one is white, has never suffered the economic and emotional impact of racism, and also, I think that only the black population can make the determinaion. Hence... </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LAS VEGAS -- A group calling itself "African-Americans for Senator Harry Reid" is launching a drive to help re-elect the Nevada Democrat.

The effort, announced Thursday, comes less than a week after the Senate majority leader faced criticism over comments he made about President Barack Obama in 2008.

Reid's campaign already had been dogged by low poll numbers and criticism over health care legislation.

Reid apologized last weekend after it was revealed in the new book Game Change that during the 2008 presidential campaign, he described Obama as a light-skinned African-American "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one."

Obama accepted the apology and called the matter closed. Democrats have since defended Reid's record on civil rights and rejected calls for him to step down.

</div></div>

Reid, an A from the NAACP on his voting record, for example, while Lott, an F.

That song, IMO, was a racist as it gets....just as wishing for Obama to fail, as Limbaugh has done, over and over again, is anti-American, IMO, particularly so, given the many disasters he faces, having inherited the worst and most far flung multi-level disasters ever left to a new President, according to the majority of historians....

We'll have to agree to disagree...but when it comes to figuring it out, I usually look to the broader majority of the black community for such determinations.

G.

Gayle in MD
01-15-2010, 12:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(politician) was impressed by Obama's candidacy during the primary campaign, and privately said the country was ready for a black president particularly a "light-skinned" one "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one." </div></div>

Taken from the forthcoming book "Game Change".

What a poor choice of words. The republican party has no conscience!

On another note, that "Game Change" book sounds juicy, exposing quite a bit from BOTH sides of the '08 campaigns. Won't go into it all now, but y'all should really look it up and check out some of the stories in it. Plenty for all of us to laugh (or cry considering these are our leaders) about regardless of what side of the aisle you prefer...

Sack </div></div>

Did you happen to see this hilarious Colbert clip?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/14/game-change-author-john-h_n_423193.html

One of them is hilarious!

also, he said this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Colbert also started off the show unable to put down his copy of "Game Change." In preparation for his interview with John Heilemann, Colbert shared some of the juicier details from the book. "But," Colbert said, "what really makes this a page-turner is the authors don't bog it down with dead weight like sources or attribution."
</div></div>

Now, it seems that the things in the book about Palin, have been attributed to McCain's Campaign people, directly...

However, it seems to have loads of information which is really on a level with a gossip rag...no sources, in most cases, and some of it not even a believable, realistic slant.

I won't be buying it, but I did leaf through it at the book store. I thought their attacks on Mrs. Edwards were really mean. I'd like to see either of them handle what she's been through, as well as she handled it. Most, who have known her over the years, have said that the attacks on her are not at all like her, and don't believe it is accurate. I wouldn't believe them any moe than I would believe such things if they were written about Mrs. Sanford. Both women, have shown their grace and poise, under horrible circumstances, over and over again.

I also don't believe what they wrote about Clinton. He's not that dumb, to say something like that to Kennedy, of all people, and also, Clinton, does not have a history which supports such a slant.

There may be some serious law suits to come...Hope they have a good attorney.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Deeman3
01-15-2010, 01:32 PM
I think that the black community on the whole is the last to be equiped to determine what is racist. That may sound odd but most blacks, especially younger ones, have been taught by the wrong people, Jesse Jackson and Al Sgarpton, what is racist by there many accusations at almost anything said by anyone on the right, assaults that never took place and solisitation of bribes as a business by both.

As I have said, many times before, race cannot be discussed in a meaningful way and that, among other things, is exactly why progress is so painfully slow in race relations. Responsibility is shifted from the individual and excuses made by invoking the race card on occasions when it is not needed as anything but a cover for not facing the hard issues in the black community. Some of this is spurred on by both sides, the left and right.

Those few black leaders who do try and up the conversation are quickly branded as racists themselves and quickly brought into line leaving the kids in a pepetual cycle of poverty and allowing other cultures to advance past them on the economic ladder much as the Hispanics are doing now. While it may serve us all well the buy them off short term with accomodation, it costs the future of mamny young black people and kills their chances for generations.

Harry Reid is not a racist, nor is Clinton (at least Bill) but neither is most of the people on the right, only a small fringe and you have that in any group or groups. Bill Clinton has done much for Haiti, for instance, but the problem is still as big as ever, regardless of the earthquake and will be that way as long as they arer allowed to lead themselves down the raod every independent African country has done for many years. Liberia is the perfect example but all others end up the same way, mass killings and mass corruption when left to their own devices. Haiti was the same but with just many more billions to squander.

Help Haiti, but fix it as well.

Besides, getting Reid out of his post would be the worse thing the right could do. You know that as well as I do.

I am preying for Haiti and sending money as well. My best's friend's sister has apparently been killed there. I have not talked to him since Monday but know he and his wife were scheduled to travel there on Thursday for a visit with her. I'm sure that was cancelled or maybe he got through on an emergency flight but I know she is gone as I saw her name on TV this morning, a government official from California. She was 57, my age! What a sad time for everyone and there may be 50 thousand more! Sad beyond belief.

I applaud Obama's response but hope they can contain the people until aid arrives....

Gayle in MD
01-15-2010, 02:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that the black community on the whole is the last to be equiped to determine what is racist. That may sound odd but most blacks, especially younger ones, have been taught by the wrong people, Jesse Jackson and Al Sgarpton, what is racist by there many accusations at almost anything said by anyone on the right, assaults that never took place and solisitation of bribes as a business by both.

<span style="color: #000066">I don't agree at all with these statements. I saw far more educated black people speak against the accusations againt Senator Reid, and do so quite elaquently. I think using the examples of Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton, is very anachronistic thinking, sorry, but they do not represent at all the many very well spoken, qwell educated, and well reasoned responses which I often see whenever these issues come up.

</span>

As I have said, many times before, race cannot be discussed in a meaningful way and that, among other things, is exactly why progress is so painfully slow in race relations.

<span style="color: #000066">Again, I don't agree, and think that not only is it currently being discussed in a meaningful way, by many, many blacks and white in this country, but I anticipate further progress in the future. </span>

Responsibility is shifted from the individual and excuses made by invoking the race card on occasions when it is not needed as anything but a cover for not facing the hard issues in the black community. Some of this is spurred on by both sides, the left and right.

<span style="color: #000066">Our responsibility as Americans is to see that there is equal opportunity for all, in the quest for liberty and the pursuit of happiness, and under the law.

In my opinion, Republicans are the group who seek to destroy that dream, not Democratics...including an equal opportunity for a good education, jobs, and equal treatment under the law.

Now, you can deny that we have done a very poor job on such issues, but I can't agree...and also think that much of what is stated by Sharpton, and Jackson, while I don't care for either of them, is accurate. </span>

Those few black leaders who do try and up the conversation are quickly branded as racists themselves and quickly brought into line leaving the kids in a pepetual cycle of poverty and allowing other cultures to advance past them on the economic ladder much as the Hispanics are doing now.

<span style="color: #000066">Interesting, we have a President, a leader, right now, and he is being branded, using racial slurs, and accusations of reverse racism, all of it from the radical RW of the country, and including the radical religious right. Many, from the right, deny this, but many of us see it readily, from our own prespective, which is not from a racist, POV.... </span>
While it may serve us all well the buy them off short term with accomodation, it costs the future of mamny young black people and kills their chances for generations.

<span style="color: #000066">Perhaps, you are making your judgements according to your regional experiences....I don't consider helping to move people out of poverty, through a insured opportunity for a good education, and equal opportunity for work, after they were enslaved, and not alowed to vote, and strung up, beaten, raped, and mistreaded for hundreds of years, buying them off. </span>

Harry Reid is not a racist, nor is Clinton (at least Bill) <span style="color: #000066">Nor is Hillary... </span> but neither is most of the people on the right, only a small fringe and you have that in any group or groups.

<span style="color: #000066">If that were true, I think we'd see more black faces at Republican campaign stops....we surely see plenty of them at Democratics gatherings....

the black community knows who is for them, and who is racist....and in my area, I am as likely to run into a wealthy black person, who has earned their Doctorate, and is making a very comfortable salary, as a white person. </span>

Bill Clinton has done much for Haiti, for instance, but the problem is still as big as ever, regardless of the earthquake and will be that way as long as they arer allowed to lead themselves down the raod every independent African country has done for many years.

<span style="color: #000066">I really don't think we can make any comparisons between the Hatian community, living currently in Haiti, to our current black community, here...surely, the two histories are not the same.... </span>

Liberia is the perfect example but all others end up the same way, mass killings and mass corruption when left to their own devices. Haiti was the same but with just many more billions to squander.

<span style="color: #000066">This sounds like you're building a case for why it is pointless for people to act against oppression, and work toward equality for all...a typical right wing POV, IMO. </span>

Help Haiti, but fix it as well. \

<span style="color: #000066">It isn't a country we are trying to help, they are human beings, in desperate need, and they are our neighbors, many of them with relatives living here in America, Americans. The Hatians must fix their own political problems. We cannot do that for them, but we can help many of them to survive, and live long enough to do just that.</span>

Besides, getting Reid out of his post would be the worse thing the right could do. You know that as well as I do.

<span style="color: #000066">If the right thought Reid, and Pelosi, were really good for their Republican party, they'd hardly spend so much time bashing them....same thing with President Obama, and President Clinton, and Hillary....all of them highly competent, hard working people.... </span>

I am preying for Haiti and sending money as well. My best's friend's sister has apparently been killed there. I have not talked to him since Monday but know he and his wife were scheduled to travel there on Thursday for a visit with her. I'm sure that was cancelled or maybe he got through on an emergency flight but I know she is gone as I saw her name on TV this morning, a government official from California. She was 57, my age! What a sad time for everyone and there may be 50 thousand more! Sad beyond belief.

I applaud Obama's response but hope they can contain the people until aid arrives.... </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">People, all people, black or white, can become desperate after days of no water, no food, and no medical aid.

The fact that we witness that phenomenon more often when the sufferers are black, does not mean that blacks are any more likely to act in unlawful ways, than whites....given the same set of circumstances...let us not forget, for example, the KKK was a group of domestic terrorists, who murdered and tortured people in the South, and eventually across the country, for decades....

G.</span>

Deeman3
01-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Gayle,

Of course the killing in Haiti did not start after the earthquake but only got more widespread and, now, some press attention.

I have never doubted nor said that we should not carry out every humanitarian effort, especially now when the need is so overpowering.

Humanity and compassion is not only a feature of the left, you know.

Gayle in MD
01-16-2010, 08:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle,

Of course the killing in Haiti did not start after the earthquake but only got more widespread and, now, some press attention.

I have never doubted nor said that we should not carry out every humanitarian effort, especially now when the need is so overpowering.

Humanity and compassion is not only a feature of the left, you know. </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">Yes, I realize all of that Deeman, but I also realize that the whole "give a man a fish/teach a man to fish" ideology crops up all the time from the right, not the left.

I don't think people who have been oppressed get enough compassion from the right. Just listen to the pundits of the right.

Can you deny their lack of empathy, (Limbaugh, robertson, Falwell, Coulter, etc....)overall, when horrible events occur, and humanitarian aid and intervention is needed, and yet their base contines to support them?

Just read the thread about LImbaugh, and robertson, and you'll see what I mean, and that is par for the course around here.

Who could defend the things Limbaugh has said about respoding to Haiti??? I'd say, most of the RW non stop bashers around here have no problem denying his repulsion...wouldn't you?

G.

</span>

eg8r
01-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Colbert is hilarious.

eg8r

eg8r
01-16-2010, 02:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who could defend the things Limbaugh has said about respoding to Haiti??? </div></div>What did he say that was so indefensible? Could you quote his exact words instead of your memory of what someone else said.
eg8r

LWW
01-16-2010, 05:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who could defend the things Limbaugh has said about respoding to Haiti??? </div></div>What did he say that was so indefensible? Could you quote his exact words instead of your memory of what someone else said.
eg8r </div></div>

Now that's funny.

Asking someone here to actually go by what someone said ... and not what someone told them someone said.

What Limbaugh said was that if they wanted to donate to Haiti ... don't follow dearest leader's instructions and send the money to the White House to administer.

The real question should be why would a POTUS suggest that citizens send charitable dollars to the WH in the first place.

LWW