PDA

View Full Version : A few more are gone...

eg8r
01-10-2010, 08:05 PM
I love to see the Patriots take an early exit. What a beautiful game. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Happy to see the Cardinals continue to move forward also. How many quarterbacks have been blessed with as great a supporting cast as Kurt Warner? I mean really, would he be anybody if he was playing for KC or the Lions?

eg8r

wolfdancer
01-10-2010, 08:27 PM
The Patriots are out? Can't wait then till the NHL gets going.
Oops , looks like it already has. Did Phil Esposito, Bobby Hull, and Glen Hall retire?
Bobby had a kid with some talent, Brett, wonder if they have called him up yet?

sack316
01-10-2010, 10:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How many quarterbacks have been blessed with as great a supporting cast as Kurt Warner? I mean really, would he be anybody if he was playing for KC or the Lions?

eg8r </div></div>

I take the opposite view here and say how many teams are blessed with such a great QB as Kurt Warner?

This is the second perennial loser and NFL joke that suddenly became Super Bowl teams once he assumed the reins. Truly one of the best stories in sports history! Third on the depth chart at a nobody college until his senior year. Went undrafted, was cut by the Packers (how appropriate) in training camp. Then stocked shelves at a grocery store for minimum wage, before finally playing in the Arena League. Missed a tryout with Da Bears due to injury, eventually playing in NFL Europe, and finally coming home to the Rams where his role was to be Trent Green's backup. Green gets hurt, and next thing you know Kurt Warner is a future hall of fame Quarterback. Remarkable.

Sack

wolfdancer
01-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Kurt has an auto dealership up in this neck of the woods.
I knew something of his background...but what a "Cinderella" story that is...stockboy to HOF.
I think they found Johnny Unitas playing sandlot, semi-pro football.

sack316
01-11-2010, 01:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kurt has an auto dealership up in this neck of the woods.
I knew something of his background...but what a "Cinderella" story that is...stockboy to HOF.
I think they found Johnny Unitas playing sandlot, semi-pro football. </div></div>

Yessir. Unitas got cut by the Steelers, worked construction to support his wife and child. On weekends he played semi-pro ball for the Bloomfield Rams as their QB, safety, and punter. Made a hefty $6 per game!

Gotta love stories such as that.

Sack

eg8r
01-11-2010, 01:19 PM
I just don't think he is a Hall of Fame quarterback if he is on a team without the receivers he has had the chance to work with. I guess we will never know though because it seems every year there is speculation of his retirement.

eg8r

eg8r
01-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Both stories are remarkable for sure. Too bad the money back in those days was not equivalent to what the stars are paid today.

eg8r

sack316
01-11-2010, 03:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just don't think he is a Hall of Fame quarterback if he is on a team without the receivers he has had the chance to work with. I guess we will never know though because it seems every year there is speculation of his retirement.

eg8r </div></div>

True, but imagine that's true for any QB really. Need a decent O-line. Need some support. Joe Montana was a no brainer hall of fame QB... who would he have been without Rice, Clark, Taylor, etc?

The Rams weren't as dominant with Bulger back there with a similar makeup. The Cards had a good bit of the core receivers around already before. The Cards aren't nearly as good with Leinart running the show with the same group of players. IMO, Warner is a huge difference maker.

Sack

wolfdancer
01-11-2010, 05:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">True, but imagine that's true for any QB really. Need a decent O-line. Need some support. Joe Montana was a no brainer hall of fame QB... who would he have been without Rice, Clark, Taylor, etc? </div></div>
without them, Joe would have ran down field and caught his own passes.
How accurate would Otto be (possibly the best QB, ever) if it weren't for his receivers?
Who would have heard of Terry Bradshaw if it weren't for the "immaculate reception"?
Who would have ever heard of Doug Flutie, if Gerald Phelan had dropped that pass?
Who would have ever heard of Garry Trudeau, if his roommate wasn't Brian Dowling?
What if I didn't have a chicken wing for an arm....how good would I have been?

eg8r
01-11-2010, 05:14 PM
You make great points. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

sack316
01-11-2010, 06:14 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

sack316
01-11-2010, 06:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
without them, Joe would have ran down field and caught his own passes.
</div></div>

Not sure Joe was that fleet footed... Steve Young may have done that though /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack