PDA

View Full Version : Who wudda guessed?

wolfdancer
01-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Mark Mcgwire admitted to taking steroids. And here I thought it was
using that Chuck Norris "Total Gym" that bulked him up, almost overnight.

sack316
01-11-2010, 06:27 PM
lol, I was just about to post this too... but couldn't decide what joke to use!

Sack

eg8r
01-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Not sure if I heard him correctly but did he say he denied it at the time due to his lawyers trying to get him immunity? Because immunity was denied he decided not to talk about it? Seems fishy that he decided to come out after the HOF ballots were cast.

Mark was one of my favorite players to watch. I watched him in the Olympics and then followed him when he went pro with the Athletics. The bash bros were an awesome duo and very fun to watch. Donny Baseball is my favorite player of all time and I am glad he was not tainted like Mark who is my second favorite.

eg8r

wolfdancer
01-12-2010, 08:59 AM
I wonder if this had anything to do with Mark coming clean?
MM (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3851381)
The McQuire/Sosa race was credited with "saving baseball"...a bit of an exaggeration, but it sure was fun to watch, as was Barry Bonds chasing the Babe's record...and what was that other guys name?
The Mantle/Maris HR race was also pretty exciting in them days. I got all my sports news then, from the morning paper,working the early shift.
The debate among the old timers....how many would Joe have hit in Fenway, or Ted in the old Yankee Stadium? Probably about 75 each, before the All-Star break

eg8r
01-12-2010, 11:00 AM
I never thought the Bonds race to the record was as exciting but I guess because I was confident he was juicing at the time and was blinded to the fact that McGwire probably was also. McGwire was always a "big" guy compared to other players while Bonds was quite skinny. I was definitely wrong on that account.

Your reference to Ted got me thinking, I had never thought of Ted as a homerun hitter. When I went and looked at his career stats I saw that he was a phenomenal homerun hitter. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I guess because he got so much recognition for his eye and BA, and me growing up after his playing time I never thought any more of it.

eg8r

wolfdancer
01-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Ed, imagine what he could have done if he hadn't lost time serving in two wars. A fighter pilot in WWII, a pilot/instructor in Korea.
Ted used to do the Hunting/fishing shows during the off season, and demonstrate his skills as a fly caster. When he retired it was to Fla for his passion, catching bonefish, but he still worked for the Bosox as a hitting instructor.
The story I remember was the one where they called him back to Boston, from his fishing in Fla to work with a young player they had just brought up, that was having some problems at bat. Story was that Ted amazed the then young "Yaz", as he seemingly just flicked his wrists, and the ball went over the wall. Carl downplayed that story over the years. The other story I remember about Ted was that he could have sat out the last game, and his .39999 avg would have been rounded off to .400, but he played and got a couple of hits.

eg8r
01-12-2010, 03:22 PM
The man was pretty incredible. Yaz was quite the player himself. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif And everyone says nothing good can come out of Boston. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

wolfdancer
01-12-2010, 03:37 PM
We had the best Mayor ever, James Michael Curley "The Last Hurrah"
How can you not like a principled politician?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">steal a lot, but steal a little for the poor </div></div>

eg8r
01-12-2010, 05:13 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
01-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Did he not testify under oath that he didn't? If so, then if it was me who done it, I'd expect to be in a federal prison shortly...sid

sack316
01-12-2010, 06:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did he not testify under oath that he didn't? If so, then if it was me who done it, I'd expect to be in a federal prison shortly...sid </div></div>

I believe, but may be mistaken, that the statute of limitations on lying to congress is five years. Coincidentally enough, he is making his admission just after the five year mark. Hmmmmm.....

Sack

Sid_Vicious
01-13-2010, 02:49 AM
There should be a condensed list of all of the statutes of limitations. I would sleep better admitting a few of my own myself :-0! sid

LWW
01-13-2010, 05:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did he not testify under oath that he didn't? If so, then if it was me who done it, I'd expect to be in a federal prison shortly...sid </div></div>

He refused to say one way or the other when he was before congress.

LWW

eg8r
01-13-2010, 06:13 AM
LOL, that is what they were saying on ESPN yesterday. I think it is genius, on his part, but a mockery of the system which just pisses me off. Mark McGwire, once someone I could not wait to watch, has really fallen from grace big time.

eg8r

wolfdancer
01-13-2010, 03:31 PM
jeez, next thing you know...they'll be accusing Barry, and Jose of taking them special vitamin pills.
I once read an interesting article by a sportswriter, who took steroids as a research project. He not only bulked up, but both his vision and his reaction time increased significantly. He wrote if it wasn't for the debilitating health effects after long term use...he would keep on taking them.