PDA

View Full Version : Talk about spoiled rotten...

eg8r
01-12-2010, 05:19 PM
My daughter has been asking for a dog that she can carry for a year or so now. She loves going to our friend's house and picking up their dog and walking around. Well once her grandparents got word of this they went out and bought her a long-haired "teacup" chihuahua. Any dog lovers out there have any advice to keep this thing from barking every time he hears a noise? The puppy is only 6 weeks old so I guess the barking may not be immeadiate but I would like to stop it before it starts. I was told the more often the dog is in public or around people the better it will be towards sounds and less barking. All I need is for my daughter to start bringing her dog everywhere she goes.

My daughter gets her surprise tonight when Mommy gets home.

eg8r <~~~not an animal lover at all

hondo
01-13-2010, 07:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My daughter has been asking for a dog that she can carry for a year or so now. She loves going to our friend's house and picking up their dog and walking around. Well once her grandparents got word of this they went out and bought her a long-haired "teacup" chihuahua. Any dog lovers out there have any advice to keep this thing from barking every time he hears a noise? The puppy is only 6 weeks old so I guess the barking may not be immeadiate but I would like to stop it before it starts. I was told the more often the dog is in public or around people the better it will be towards sounds and less barking. All I need is for my daughter to start bringing her dog everywhere she goes.

My daughter gets her surprise tonight when Mommy gets home.

eg8r &lt;~~~not an animal lover at all </div></div>

Well, I'd take a chihuahua over a pit bull for a small child anyday.
How about you, Ed?

eg8r
01-13-2010, 08:01 AM
I would prefer neither. My kids love my brothers boxer though, they think he is a horse. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

hondo
01-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Boxers are usually very nice dogs.

I love dogs but I have had three I cared about die and I said no more.

We have a cat that sleeps outside.

eg8r
01-13-2010, 08:30 AM
I had to laugh when I read this post (not being negative here) about boxers. My brother rescued his boxer from an abusive owner and has shown all the love an owner could for a dog. This dog adores my brother. My bro works for my parents in the trucking industry and brings his dog to the office. There are many times drivers or even customers get a bit heated and want to raise their voice. Well when someone comes in the office it does not matter if the dog is sleeping or not he will get up and sit between my bro and the person entering the office (even if the person is standing on the other side of the door (top half opens while bottom stays closed). One time this guy did not notice the dog and started raising his voice and started opening the door. Needless to say he almost dirtied his shorts when the dog made his presence known. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

hondo
01-13-2010, 09:49 AM
They can be imposing-looking.

And I imagine they would be protective of those they love.

eg8r
01-13-2010, 10:30 AM
In that example, it was not his looks that scared the crap out of the guy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

wolfdancer
01-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Ed, forget the dog, and buy them a pony instead......they'll love you all the more for it, and they are easy to housebreak

hondo
01-13-2010, 08:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ed, forget the dog, and buy them a pony instead......they'll love you all the more for it, and they are easy to housebreak </div></div>

Or a frog. Frogs are nice.

eg8r
01-14-2010, 08:01 AM
LOL, that is just it, they will break the house. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I don't have the yard for it. That would be like all those people who have huge dogs and live in an apartment.

eg8r

Qtec
01-14-2010, 08:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Any dog lovers out there have any advice to keep this thing from barking every time he hears a noise? </div></div>

Usually a pup should stay at least 3 months with the mother and the nest. Its not surprising that it barks at every noise, its in a new strange environment and its scared.

My advice is not to react to the barking by barking yourself, stay relaxed. Don't make a big deal out of it, act like there is nothing wrong.
It might be only 10 inches long but its still a dog, they are supposed to protect and warn when they hear something. They are just not allowed to keep barking. If this is the case try distracting it with a game, like command and reward. [ sit, lie down etc ]

Best of luck.

Q

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_MNCfcyOPbQg/Sy5Kt-CdGkI/AAAAAAAAA5M/hkPuyOj6TMM/s640/20122009320.jpg

eg8r
01-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks Q. I have never heard the 3 month figure before. Always hear 8 weeks but that is 4 weeks shorter than what you are suggesting. I was not very clear in my post but the puppy is not barking really at this age. What I meant was this type of dog, a teacup chihuahua, is prone to being a barker when it gets a bit older.

eg8r