PDA

View Full Version : The Amish

Bobbyrx
01-14-2010, 05:14 PM
people are exempt from the requirement expected to be part of the final bill that people purchase health insurance or pay a fine.

link (http://www.ncregister.com/blog/amish_granted_health-care_exemption1/)

......just call me Jakob-rx /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

sack316
01-14-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm not 100% sure on this and haven't looked it up yet, but heard something about Union workers not having to pay the Cadillac tax.

Sack

wolfdancer
01-14-2010, 06:35 PM
I traveled through Pa. quite a bit, and saw a lot of Amish people. One product that they sold that I'll always remember was goat's milk fudge. I used to work with a former Greyhound Bus driver, and he told me of picking up Amish young lady passengers, but didn't notice them getting off. Then he realized that they were changing in the rest room, so that they could go to town and join in on the fun....and maybe even get off? They didn't believe in electricity, but were forced to electrify their barns since they were dairy farmers, and....
They now sell on the net, some fine handcrafted space heaters.

Bobbyrx
01-14-2010, 08:00 PM
I have visited the Amish in central Tennessee (Etheridge I think is the nearby town) a few times and you had to drive from farm to farm, and each place specialized in something different. One farm had jams and jellies, one would have furniture, and one would have hardwood floors of all things. Also had the best peanut brittle I have ever had........almost worth the 21/2 hour drive. Very interesting place.....

dg-in-centralpa
01-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Wolfie,
Having worked with Amish, their electric comes from gas generators. They can use real electric, power tools, and cars if it belongs to someone else. Although they do have cell phones or phone booths in the middle of their corn fields. The young women do go "out on the town". Years ago, a coomon saying was "If you can get their bonnets off, look out."

DG

Deeman3
01-15-2010, 08:42 AM
DG,

I remember you have a pretty good knowledge of the Amish but, of course, I speak the language. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I always got a kick out of visiting with them in your area when I lived there. While, on the whole, a very serious people, they have a great sense of humor when you get to know them and can laugh at themsleves better than most.

I am still waiting for that Amish Stripper!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r
01-15-2010, 08:51 AM
How about the big (tentative) win for the Unions. The Cadillac tax if implemented will not impact them.

eg8r

dg-in-centralpa
01-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Dee,
They are fun when you get to know them. Just like regular people. As a young man back in the 60's, one of them used to go to the movies to watch the X-rated flicks. Really funny when you think of who they are. The Amish don't need insurance as they are self insured. They take care of themselves. They make wonderful pies, bread, jelly,....now I'm getting hungry.

DG