PDA

View Full Version : tough match

02-26-2002, 08:43 PM
Got a tough, important match against the best player in our league on Saturday. My success (or lack thereof) has virtually depended on whether I've been "on" or not. Never beat him; came close once or twice. Just recently improved to be about one notch below him. Any advice? I feel like my game is really coming around, but nobody in the league expects me to win. Any advice is appreciated.

cheesemouse
02-26-2002, 11:02 PM
Joe,
Play more safties than you normally do take no chances. See if he gets cocky being the stronger player and expected to win, he may run out of patience. Hey, what do you have to lose?

Chris Cass
02-27-2002, 07:51 AM
Yes Joe,
Have faith in your abilities and most of all bring confidence to the table. The best advice I can give you is get warmed up before your match and listen to some music that pumps you up. Think of the word Control in your mind as you play. Control the game and you'll win.
Regards,
C.C.

Doctor_D
02-27-2002, 08:18 AM
Good morning Joe:

Suggestion, read "Pleasure of Small Motions". Very applicable and practical reading.

Dr. D.

02-27-2002, 09:08 AM
First find out how you're playing that day. If your low percentage shots aren't going in, or if your positioning is off, play more safeties. If it gets better, then play more aggresive. Remember to play the shot you're on and to bring plenty of courage to the table. Try to stay calm and do your best. That way, even if you lose, you'll have no regrets. Good luck Saturday, I too have a match against a similar player on Friday.

Mike O

cuechick
02-27-2002, 09:41 AM
Try and remember it is not WHO you play it is HOW you play. I started using this mantra lately and it has helped a lot. Also try and play tacticlly, do not try and run an unrunable table. When you leave the table try and never leave him a shot! Play YOUR game not his!!! And most of all, if you are not 'expected' to win you have nothing to lose, the pressure is on him! Have fun. If you can relax and enjoy the match you have a leg up! Good luck /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
02-27-2002, 10:52 AM
I always look at "tough matches" as an opportunity.
I will get to see how my "A" game is under pressure. I will be able to see things that I need to take back to the practice table. I will be able to see how I react mentally and physically. I will also be able to see how my opponent reacts at my level of play.
Eye opening experience to say the least.. great opportunity to improve you self awareness. All at your opponents expense. Your Opponent is suppose to win, you are suppose to play.
Relax and enjoy the moment, take mental notes of how you play and how your opponent plays.
Great opportunity to provide yourself with good information about your pool game.

Good Luck...