PDA

View Full Version : Jump Shot

08-16-2002, 03:13 PM
Hi
I live in the Uk and I started playing 9-ball 2 years ago and I have reached a good standard. I have decided to start using a break-jump cue instead of a regular break cue. I am having problems playing the jump shot. I aim at the bottom of the cue ball at an angle of 45 degrees and strike down thropgh the cue ball. The cue ball is not gaining enough height for me to clear the blocker and therefore I cannot hit the object ball. Can anyone tell me where the striking point on the cue ball is ? and what angle should I be striking down on the cue ball at ?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated
Thank You Andrew

heater451
08-16-2002, 04:26 PM
I interpret from your post, that you are getting the ball into the air, just not at the height you need (for the distance you are jumping). If you post the distances involved--from cue ball to blocker, and total length of jump, then others might have a better idea of what's happening in your case.

Your issue may be more with technique, than angle of attack.

Here's a thread that Sid_Vicious started, about his success with the "dart stroke":

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ccbboard&Number=27663& page=&view=&sb=&o=

And here's one that I recently started:

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ccbboard&Number=30024& Search=true&Forum=ccbboard&Words=jump&Match=Entire %20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1month&Main=30 024

You can also run a search (you may have to register), and see what you come up with.

Good luck!

===================

PQQLK9
08-16-2002, 04:30 PM
http://www.bunjeejump.com/2k_changes/bunjee_instructions_2k.htm

TomBrooklyn
08-16-2002, 04:34 PM
In relation to an imaginary vertical line, the angle you want the ball to launch at is equal to the angle you shoot down at. In other words, the closer the blocking ball, the steeper your cue angle. The underhand stroke is generally considered more accurate than the dart stroke, but when you reach a certain level of steepness, you will have to switch to the dart stroke. The furthur you want the ball to go, the harder you hit it. I think you should aim into the center of the ball for a stun shot. Aim a little closer to yourself for draw, and a little past the center for follow. Hit it fast but with a light hand. =TB=

08-17-2002, 11:35 AM
Hi Andrew, I think you first have to get the technique down before you get concerned with junping at short distances. The shorter the distance between the cueball and the object ball the steeper the elevation until you need to use the dart stroke. I would sujest you try holding the cue in the web created by your index finger and thumb,now do your warmup strokes with a loose grip and just move your wrist and not your forearm, on your last stroke don't drill the cueball. If it is still not jumping for ya, choke up on the cue until it works for you. You'll have to spend some time at it until the timing and feel and stroke come together. Good Luck, Terry

Doctor_D
08-18-2002, 04:41 PM
Good evening:

I highly recommend the information and instructions on the Bunjee WebSite.

Dr. D.