PDA

View Full Version : CoCo get's $40 million

Deeman3
01-21-2010, 08:22 AM
What about the Leno, Obrien stuff?

I liked Leno's show but found Conan only funny in spurts. Both are much better than Dave Letterman except his top ten list.

Now they all seem to be sniping. It is funny that a man is "fired" from his show for not pulling ratings and gets that much cast and people are outraged. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif If he is to be good, he can go on Fox, for instance, in September and if he beats Jay and Letterman he will still have millions and will have his revenge.

I guess this is the death throws of late night TV in it's most popular forms. If they could, for instance, format a show along the lines of a Jon Stewart, I bet it would be well accepted.

TV has really fallen with the advent of cheap reality shows and only a few well done dramas now such as House, Criminal Minds and Dexter, although Dexter's star has cancer and may not return. The late night format of interviewing mostly people with movies to push is rapidly dying, I think.

If you have a life, there is only time for a few shows to watch each week and thank God for DVR's. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Who is your favorite and least favorite and why?

pooltchr
01-21-2010, 08:50 AM
If somebody offered me 33 million to quit my job, I might have to seriously consider it!

Leno did a good job replacing Carson. Those were some pretty big shoes to fill, but Jay did an admirable job. Conan came up way short (pun intended).

But you make a good point. To me, Carson had a much more intellectual kind of humor. Leno was different, but still funny and entertaining.

Conan is almost embarassing to watch. While Johnny and Jay seemed to be natural, Conan seems to be working at being funny.

The big 3 (4) networks have dumbed down their programming to meet the level of the average tv viewer. I find myself spending more time reading and listening to the radio, and less time watching the box. (Sports programming being the exception)

Steve

sack316
01-21-2010, 09:04 AM
I like Conan, always kind of have.

But I also think he was better at the later spot. He's more a fit for when it's getting late and the grown folks have gone to bed, but the college kids are still up. Just has always seemed that's who he's most appealing to.

I really can't watch most of the late night talk shows, they just don't hold my interest. I enjoy some of the monologues, and the skits. But once it's passed that 15 minute mark or so, that's about it for me.

I much prefer to watch reruns of Law and Order, Criminal Minds, History Channel, Discovery, etc. Burn Notice on USA has grown on me too.

Sack

eg8r
01-21-2010, 09:53 AM
I like Leno. He is a real "car" guy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r <~~~knows my reason has nothing to do with the shows /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Deeman3
01-21-2010, 10:18 AM
I think Sack has a good point, that the shows are good for about 15 minutes, then you want to watch something else. I DVRed the Leno monologue at his new time but only watched that part unless he had a really interesting guest which was not often the case.

Conan has a good following I think but you have to be younger to enjoy his sthick moreso than Leno, IMO.

I find Letterman too dull, in most cases and that lame feminine sidekick parrot of his just won't shut up. Kevin's interaction with Jay is much more balanced and funny.

I will admit that if you had not seen old funny Vaudville type humor years ago, Conan's stuff would play better. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Maybe they should replace one with a Cops type show where they arrest and beat minorities at the 10 PM slot on NBC. They seem to play pretty weel in earlier time periods.

Qtec
01-21-2010, 10:27 AM
So you like the sneaky, back stabbing, hiding in the closet guy?

Figures. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

My 2ct? Kick them both out and get Ricky Gervais to do the show.

Q

Deeman3
01-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Who is this Ricky Gervais? A Dutch late night host? If so, send him to NBC and see if he gets a shot. I'm all for new blood.

eg8r
01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
A car guy is a hiding in the closet guy? Are you referring to salesman?

eg8r

sack316
01-21-2010, 12:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who is this Ricky Gervais? A Dutch late night host? If so, send him to NBC and see if he gets a shot. I'm all for new blood. </div></div>

He's the guy who created The Office (original was a British show). Pretty funny guy. I'd watch him host a talkshow.

Sack