PDA

View Full Version : Position Round Purpose?

Sid_Vicious
01-24-2010, 01:43 PM
I've gone through leagues and some pop up with nights of position round play. I have never gotten a clear understanding for this event, besides making the bar more money. Really, aren't the weekly stats good enough to figure team positions? What am I missing? sid

BCA Master Instr
01-24-2010, 04:02 PM
SID: One of the reasons could be qualifying for State & Nationals. Each player needs "weeks played". Position rounds add to that opportunity. I'm sure there are many more reasons, this just comes to mind....

Sid_Vicious
01-25-2010, 01:54 AM
Ok Randy, being it's the season to make reservations and all, that may be something. Still, it continues to puzzle me as far as an added local event during league, with more nightly dues, and the inconvenience of the added night. The non Vegas people really don't have a vested interest, which is a sizeable group of people here. Seems that the house gets the extra business, which I don't mind...it's fun. The term "positional round" is kinda queer in nature, even with the nationals issue. sid

BCA Master Instr
01-25-2010, 07:58 AM
I found that term being used in Bowling also. Gives the lower teams a chance to move up in the standings?

Sid_Vicious
01-25-2010, 09:03 AM
That makes "fun sense." sid

dg-in-centralpa
01-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Sid,
One league I play in has 2 position rounds. More money for the bar, more money for the league payouts, and a chance to improve your position. Does it make sense? Not always, but makes the season a little longer.

DG

Sid_Vicious
01-25-2010, 12:30 PM
It seems that I remember those reasons too from the past seasons played DG. I'm not real keen on the manipulation after the schedule was established, but what do you really do about it? Oh well. sid

SpiderMan
01-25-2010, 01:56 PM
I believe the position rounds are generally played at a point in the schedule where each team has played all others an equal number of times (usually one or two times, depending on number of teams in the league). At this point, teams grouped together in the stats-based standings are most likely to be truly near one another in ability, because none of them will have played "extra" weeks against tougher (or weaker) opponents.

This provides an opportunity for two teams near one another in achievement to square off, and for one to gain a point over the other by direct combat.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
01-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Good! We're in second place and down 2 losses in the stats against the first place team, should be even, the loss directly to them was an anomoly. Our A-Player shot his goose-egg for the season(we all have one at times), and we lost by 2 points.

This event does add a real advantage in our situation today! sid