PDA

View Full Version : Getting the dents out of your shaft

bradb
01-25-2010, 12:59 PM
I had several dents in my Lucasi shaft and was actually think of buying a replacement. Then a friend who used to run a pool hall recomended this technique for getting them out.

Fold a damp cloth over the shaft just below the ferral and apply a hot iron to it. Gently slide the iron on it a few times up and down the shaft. Rotate the shaft until you return to where you started. You need only do this once.

The change will be immediate and your shaft will look like brand new. -brad

Bambu
01-26-2010, 09:41 PM
No sanding? The dents just disappear?

Bambu
01-26-2010, 09:42 PM
No sanding? The dents just disappear?

LWW
01-27-2010, 05:29 AM
Of course the dampness might induce warping.

Here's a modification of that idea.

Microwave a cup of water and take a Q-tip of the hot water and fill the dent, then let it dry overnight.

The dent will rise out ... maybe even a tad too much. If it goes too high just burnish out.

LWW

Tony_in_MD
01-27-2010, 05:47 AM
A dent is caused by the wood fibers being compressed. Using water (or steam) causes the fibers to swell back up, thus popping out the dent.

I have had luck with just putting a drop of water on the dent, and letting it dry overnight. I find that I have to sand a little to smooth out the area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No sanding? The dents just disappear? </div></div>

Bambu
01-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Thanks guys, good ideas. Do you think a z-2 would react any differently? The wood seems softer than normal. I guess I'm a little scared to try.

bradb
01-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Apply the iron lightly don't press down, the steam generated by the hot iron pulls the dents out and smooths out the wood.

It won't warp your shaft, just be sure you go over it once all the way around and just the part of the shaft that has the dents.

There's no need for sandpaper your shaft will fill out nicely. I'm always a little leary of any abrasive on my cue, it will narrow the width down after a while.

As for the lighter wood shaft I don't think thats a problem. Wood shafts that warp are usually ash cues because they have two grains. -brad

-brad

PoolFool
01-27-2010, 05:33 PM
The dent will be gone. (you may have to do it more than once) but now the grain will have a slight rough feel to it.Use 1000, 1500, or 2000 grit sandpaper (at Walmart)to smooth it out. I have been doing this to a 314 for 7 years and it's still fine. It doesn't take much sanding to smooth out the rough spot.

PoolFool

Bambu
01-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks Brad. Why do you go all the way around though? Why not just on the dent?

wolfdancer
01-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Brad, I did cue repairs for a couple of years, mostly to pay for my own lathe,and assorted supplies, while I became the next Bill Stroud. (After a half dozen attempts at converting one piece cues, into sneaky Pete's, I decided my future fame and fortune lay elsewhere)
The method that I was shown to remove dents... was to use either a whistling tea kettle, or place some foil, with a small hole in it, over the spout of a reg tea/hot water kettle. Then you tape the surrounding wood, and direct the narrow steam spray at the dent. If the shaft has lacquer on it...pricking that layer with a small sewing needle helps. The damp cloth and hot iron will work...I just preferred the steam method.

LWW
01-30-2010, 07:53 AM
I wouldn't use steam on a 10 piece radial shaft.

Glue separation would cause a worse issue than it fixes.

On a solid shat I actually like wolfie's idea.

LWW

bradb
01-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Wolf, I tried the iron method and it worked like wonders on my Lucasi solid maple shaft.

I asked my friend about your method and he said that yes thats another way to do it. He liked the iron method because it was quicker for working on all the rack cues in his old pool hall.

Note to Bambu: I thought I would go all the way around so that the wood would swell evenly, but actually the wood only swells to fill the dent... just a precautionary measure on my part.

Note to LWW: As far as treating a sectional shaft, they are bonded extreamly well to take a life time of punishment, we're only talking about a minimum use of heat and steam. That should'nt loosen glued wood. But maybe talk to your dealer or email the web site of the manufacturer for that info.

Bambu
02-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks guys. I like Tonys idea the best so far, sounds the safest for a z-2.

KellyStick
02-16-2010, 08:42 PM
just add moisture to the dent. Drop of water in the dent. Keep adding till it's gone. be patient. Put a drop, go to bed, repeat.

Sid_Vicious
02-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Every dent if different. Single 'whacks' are simple to fix with a drop of water, but tiny pecks, especially rabbit dents in succession, are probably going to be much easier fixed with the iron trick. jm2c sid

doncartmill
02-18-2010, 01:47 AM
I have found that tearing off a 1 inch strip of paper towel,by 6-8 inches long and wrap the dent. Hold the wrap in place with a rubber band or small piece of tape. Then apply a drop or three of water. Allow it to stand over night. This will raise the grain at the dent...Now as someone said smooth it out by burnishing I don't like the sand paper,as you are bound to open up the surface exposing it to moisture in the air. I have found that a piece of hard smooth plastic ( my wifes hair brush ) is ideal for use as a burnishing tool.

bradb
02-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Never use sandpaper or even a burnisher. just apple a bit of heat (iron) to the shaft through a damp rag, as I mentioned above the fix is instant and the shaft will be like new. Brad

wolfdancer
02-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Do your heat the "apple" with the iron,and then apply it to the shaft? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif (sorry, i couldn't resist)
I have used your method with excellent results.

bradb
02-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Glad you caught that Wolf, don't want people pissed at me after heating an apple on their cue!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

brad

Alaskan_Pool
03-06-2010, 06:22 AM
These heat treatments and wrapping of a whole portion of the cue seem like very crude methods for targeting a specific dent on a valued cue. Sure, you're doing twenty house cues, go crazy, but if you're working with a Ginacue, I recommend a much more delicate method. First, you don't need any heat and don't wrap anything. If your ding is typical it's about the size of one of the letters in this post. Wet a little toilet paper then pull off a pea-sized piece and cover just the dent. Let it sit for twenty minutes or so, swelling out just that specific area and not the whole cue in the area. If it overswells, you can burnish with glass. For roughness you can hit it with some 000 (zero zero zero) steel wool.

bradb
03-06-2010, 06:00 PM
I was not taliking about one little dent, I have a $350 Lucasi, its my playing cue and over time it will get a lot of little dents from average use, the technique has never been a problem... repeat, its fine.
Brad