PDA

View Full Version : State of the Union Preview

Deeman3
01-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Tonight I can report to you that the state of the union, on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being excellent, is a 9.8.

Now, you may ask—and I wouldn’t blame you for asking—how I came up with that number. You might be saying to yourself, “Wait a minute. I’ve got no job, no health insurance. My house isn’t worth half the amount of my mortgage, and I just got called up by the National Guard to do a fifth tour in Afghanistan. How the heck did he come up with 9.8?”

So it’s a good and valid question. And the answer is that 9.8 is pretty good, considering the mess my predecessor and the Republicans left me. Fair enough? I think so.

Now, it is customary on these occasions, after offering the American people bromides and yes, even downright lies about how well the nation is doing, to acknowledge American heroes sitting in the gallery.

Unfortunately, no pilots have landed planes in the Hudson River lately, so we don’t have any of them. But there are a number of Dutch artists with us tonight…

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Chris Buckley (who voted for Obama) helps him with his State of the Union Speech for tonight. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif</span>

LWW
01-27-2010, 08:38 AM
It matters not what he says or doesn't say.

The members of the O-cult will nod their collectivist heads in Pavlovian unison, as they demonstrate their skills at doublethink and blackwhite, denouncing everything that they have cheered for the last 2 years.

Remove Emmanuel Goldstein and insert George Bush and the typical pro Obama speaker sounds eerily like the daily "TWO MINUTES HATE" delivered by the party to the people in Orwell's "1984" masterpiece.

LWW

Gayle in MD
01-27-2010, 09:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As President Obama prepares for his State of the Union address, two stories Monday regarding his stimulus package highlighted his political conundrum. USA Today's quarterly survey of 50 economists produced a median estimate that the $787 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) prevented unemployment from reaching 10.8%, saving 1.2 million jobs as a result. But even as the economists praised the stimulus for restarting GDP growth, a CNN poll found that "nearly three out of four Americans think that at least half of the money spent in the federal stimulus plan has been wasted." Sadly for the President, perception - even when it's wrong - is reality.

To be sure, with unemployment at 10% and forecast to remain above 9% by the end of 2010, the continuing pain caused by the dismal job market is very real. But the dividends of the stimulus package to date, even with changing White House accounting rules for the 1.5 to 2 million jobs it claims to have saved, are clear and growing.

For the three month period which ended in June, the Economic Policy Institute announced the Obama stimulus measures overall added "up to 3 full percentage points of annualized growth in the quarter." For its part, the Wall Street Journal in September agreed with that assessment:

Many forecasters say stimulus spending is adding two to three percentage points to economic growth in the second and third quarters, when measured at an annual rate. The impact in the second quarter, calculated by analyzing how the extra funds flowing into the economy boost consumption, investment and spending, helped slow the rate of decline and will lay the groundwork for positive growth in the third quarter -- something that seemed almost implausible just a few months ago. Some economists say the 1% contraction in the second quarter would have been far worse, possibly as much as 3.2%, if not for the stimulus.

On Monday, the USA Today panel of economists concurred.

</div></div>

http://www.crooksandliars.com

Qtec
01-27-2010, 10:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It matters not what he says or doesn't say. <span style='font-size: 20pt'>I will always have something negative to say about it. I will faithfully ignore facts and take my line from RNC talking points, or Beck, or Limbaugh, etc etc etc........I will faithfully ignore the last 8 years . GW had nothing to do with the doubling of US Debt, he had nothing to do with the credit crisis and the collapse of the banks......its all Obama's fault...I do so swear.".</span></div></div>

Chuckle.............LOL

Q

Gayle in MD
01-27-2010, 10:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It matters not what he says or doesn't say. <span style='font-size: 20pt'>I will always have something negative to say about it. I will faithfully ignore facts and take my line from RNC talking points, or Beck, or Limbaugh, etc etc etc........I will faithfully ignore the last 8 years . GW had nothing to do with the doubling of US Debt, he had nothing to do with the credit crisis and the collapse of the banks......its all Obama's fault...I do so swear.".</span></div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Chuckle.............LOL

Q </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

And Bush started out with a surplus, and no mismanaged wars (TWO)to have to settle!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

pooltchr
01-27-2010, 10:39 AM
There is no such thing as government funded economic stimulus.

In order to have economic stimulus, something must be added to the economy.

The government has nothing to add to the economy. They do not produce anything, therefore their only way of having any income is to actually take it out of the economy in the form of taxes.

So any so called economic stimulus is simply the government taking money out of the economy, and then making a big show of putting some of it back.

The economy can only grow if business grows.

Steve

Gayle in MD
01-27-2010, 10:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tonight I can report to you that the state of the union, on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being excellent, is a 9.8.

Now, you may ask—and I wouldn’t blame you for asking—how I came up with that number. You might be saying to yourself, “Wait a minute. I’ve got no job, no health insurance. My house isn’t worth half the amount of my mortgage, and I just got called up by the National Guard to do a fifth tour in Afghanistan. How the heck did he come up with 9.8?”

So it’s a good and valid question. And the answer is that 9.8 is pretty good, considering the mess my predecessor and the Republicans left me. Fair enough? I think so.

Now, it is customary on these occasions, after offering the American people bromides and yes, even downright lies about how well the nation is doing, to acknowledge American heroes sitting in the gallery.

Unfortunately, no pilots have landed planes in the Hudson River lately, so we don’t have any of them. But there are a number of Dutch artists with us tonight…

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Chris Buckley (who voted for Obama) helps him with his State of the Union Speech for tonight. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif</span> </div></div>

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35083918/ns/politics-white_house/

Most blame Republicans and Bush for the State Of The Union!

pooltchr
01-27-2010, 11:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Most blame Republicans and Bush for the State Of The Union! </div></div>

The Dems have had congress for 3 years. Obama has been in the White House for a year.

That dog won't hunt!

Steve

Deeman3
01-27-2010, 01:30 PM
[quote=Gayle in MD

Most blame Republicans and Bush for the State Of The Union! [/quote]

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Yes, I think that was exactly what the voters in Virginia, New Jersey and Massetuetes (Dem. candidate spelling) were saying with their votes. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Ain't life grand when you can twist the polls, the votes and even the obvious dissatisfaction of the American public into a P.R plus and lay it all on a guy out of office.

I do think I remember in the campaign Mr. Obama saying, "I will fix this country with Hope and Change as long as you understand I reserve the right to blame any former Republican President for my shortcomings."

A) I will have open and televised debate on the Health care Refomr, on C-Span.

B) Unemployment will go no higher than 8% if we approve this bailout.

C) A new respect will be afforded Americans with my change in enhanced interrogation techniques, Chavez will like us, Putin will love us and China will respect us.

D) I will not appoint lobbiests to the administration, of course, former executives in the very industry that crippled us will be, notwithstanding the appointment of tax cheats to oversee the Federal Taxation of all of you who have paid your taxes.

E) I will not raise taxes on anyone making less than $250K per year. However, I will raise fees, create laws requiring purchase of insurance and services that can't really legally be called a "tax". If you misunderstood to think I'd protect teh incomes of people making less than $250K, well, you just did not read the fine print.

D) To prevent the water boarding and other enhanced techniques, I'll up the kill rate and allow a Kill 'em all" policy so we no longer have to worry about Gitmo, it will not grow. After all, which is more harsh, death or waterboarding?

E) The savings on HCR will bend the cost curve as long as we are allowed to collect taxes for several years before paying out anything. Get to knw the new math.

F) I'll freeze discretionary spending, as long as we all agree to ignore that I increased this spending 27% last year and the starting point is there.

G) I'll save 200,000,000 jobs, after all, they would have all been lost if not for me.

H) I'll show you how to do a disaster by showing up on TV as soon as possible but hide the fact the distribution of food and resources is not as easy as it seemed whan I was bashing Bush for his efforts. </span>

pooltchr
01-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Freezing descretinary spending is a huge joke. It's like driving 110MPH in a 45MPH zone, and then trying to talk your way out of a ticket by promising to slow down to 99MPH!

Steve

LWW
01-27-2010, 05:02 PM
I disagree.

Reagan had an economic stimulus plan.

So did Bush II.

So did JFK.

And they all worked.

They all had 2 things in common:

- Reduce taxation.
- Improve defense.

LWW

pooltchr
01-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Reducing taxation means the government isn't taking money out of the economy. Makes sense!

Steve

PoolFool
01-27-2010, 05:39 PM
It ain't what he say. It's what he do.

PoolFool

Gayle in MD
01-27-2010, 05:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Ain't life grand when you can twist the polls, the votes and even the obvious dissatisfaction of the American public into a P.R plus and lay it all on a guy out of office.

I do think I remember in the campaign Mr. Obama saying, "I will fix this country with Hope and Change as long as you understand I reserve the right to blame any former Republican President for my shortcomings."

A) I will have open and televised debate on the Health care Refomr, on C-Span.

B) Unemployment will go no higher than 8% if we approve this bailout.

C) A new respect will be afforded Americans with my change in enhanced interrogation techniques, Chavez will like us, Putin will love us and China will respect us.

D) I will not appoint lobbiests to the administration, of course, former executives in the very industry that crippled us will be, notwithstanding the appointment of tax cheats to oversee the Federal Taxation of all of you who have paid your taxes.

E) I will not raise taxes on anyone making less than $250K per year. However, I will raise fees, create laws requiring purchase of insurance and services that can't really legally be called a "tax". If you misunderstood to think I'd protect teh incomes of people making less than $250K, well, you just did not read the fine print.

D) To prevent the water boarding and other enhanced techniques, I'll up the kill rate and allow a Kill 'em all" policy so we no longer have to worry about Gitmo, it will not grow. After all, which is more harsh, death or waterboarding?

E) The savings on HCR will bend the cost curve as long as we are allowed to collect taxes for several years before paying out anything. Get to knw the new math.

F) I'll freeze discretionary spending, as long as we all agree to ignore that I increased this spending 27% last year and the starting point is there.

G) I'll save 200,000,000 jobs, after all, they would have all been lost if not for me.

H) I'll show you how to do a disaster by showing up on TV as soon as possible but hide the fact the distribution of food and resources is not as easy as it seemed whan I was bashing Bush for his efforts. </span>

<span style="color: #000066">LMAO! Your boy george left this president disasters on every front.

You can deny it all you want, that doesn't change the facts. Bush didn't create one damn job, blew a surplus, ran this country into a debt pit, and GREENSPAN was so damn dumb, he thought the greedy Wall Street PIGS, would regulate themselves!

I guess we saw what THAT led to, didn't we? Nearly a depression, which thankfully, was diverted, both by the efforts of Paulson, and Bernake.

Republicans are a total joke. They destroyed so many lives in eight years, they should all be jailed. Government charts don't lie, and everytime Repubs get into office, everyone suffers, except for the wealthy CEO's who bilk everyone else, and slurp up their lopsided tax cuts.

Anyone who would refuse to admit to what George Bush did to this country, has to be an idiot. Likewise, you'd have to be stupid and uninformed if you can't see what Bush's policies led us into, and equally stupid to think everything would be just fine in one year!

these righties that are whining now about the economy, don't have a clue how bad things could have been by now, if our government hadn't stepped in and prevented a complete crash... completely unaware of what devastation would have followed if Paulson, and Bernake hadn't infused money into those Wall Street Firms, and prevented a complete domino like collapse.

G. </span>

pooltchr
01-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Yeah, the people don't like Bush and love everything Obama is doing. So they vote against Obama's party in 3 elections since he took office to send the message that they really like what Obama has done so far.

Earth calling Gayle!!!!!

You can't even make a convincing argument for this because even you don't believe it. One day, you will need to admit that Obama isn't the savior you would like to think he is.

Steve