PDA

View Full Version : What Removes Car Wax From A Cueshaft?

TomBrooklyn
08-17-2002, 08:12 AM
I can't get the dings out of a cueshaft because I waxed it and it won't absorb water now. How can I get the wax off? I'd rather not sand it until after I get the dings out and the wax off. I am using car wax, not wood wax (because thats what I had at the time.)
=TB=

Kato
08-17-2002, 08:13 AM
This may sound stupid Tom but won't it just eventually go away? I guess you may have to sand. I use car wax on my cues to. Not lately, but normally.

Kato

PQQLK9
08-17-2002, 08:21 AM
This is just a guess but I use nail polish remover for cleaning most things...ferrules ,shaft but have not tried to remove wax...???

Vapros
08-17-2002, 09:00 AM
I would say lacquer thinner. It's a strong solvent for many such things, and it doesn't stay on the surface, but flashes off almost immediately. It has a strong odor, so you may want to use it out of doors.

Kato
08-17-2002, 09:11 AM
PQQLK9, your nail polish remover, with our without acetone?

Kato

Troy
08-17-2002, 09:17 AM
Tom... I use a soft cloth, and Simple Green diluted with 2 parts water in a spray bottle. If that doesn't cut the wax sufficiently, you might try cig lighter fluid.

Side note --- Nail polish remover is actually scented acetone which is some pretty strong stuff for use on any wood product.

Troy

PQQLK9
08-17-2002, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> PQQLK9, your nail polish remover, with our without acetone?

Kato <hr></blockquote>

WITH

PQQLK9
08-17-2002, 09:23 AM
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts21.html

hell..I ain't gonna use that stuff no mo...scarry!

TonyM
08-17-2002, 03:28 PM
You hit upon one of the reasons that I never wax my shafts. As reported, I just use bar wood, and rub down with lighter fluid and let the natural patina condition the shaft.

Anyway, you can try lighter fluid to remove the wax. Or a commercial wax stripper. Basically, you need a solvent that will attack the wax. Perhaps rubbing alcohol, or acetone will work as well.

Tony

TonyM
08-17-2002, 03:32 PM
Apparently mineral spirits are used to remove wax build-up. Some of the other solvents won't touch it.

Tony

griffith_d
08-17-2002, 03:45 PM
I have never heard of using car wax on a cue,..would that not mess up the shaft?

Griff

Cueless Joey
08-17-2002, 03:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: griffith_d:</font><hr> I have never heard of using car wax on a cue,..would that not mess up the shaft?

Griff <hr></blockquote>
No. Carnauba wax is used on shafts all the time.

Kato
08-17-2002, 04:31 PM
Use Carnuba car wax. Very smooth, like wearing a glove (if you're into that kind of thing).

Kato~~~Car wax user for many years.

08-17-2002, 04:39 PM
Tom: Suggest you test any solvent you're considering on a throwaway shaft. You may find that your solvent "raises the grain" of the wood--makes the wood's grain stand out, makes the shaft feel rough. Been there, done that: two decent shafts in the toilet (denatured alcohol).

Whisper Thaler

stickman
08-17-2002, 04:48 PM
Tom, I use a white powdered sink cleanser with bleach on a moistened cloth. It works good for me. After you are done, you will need to burnish with leather.

griffith_d
08-17-2002, 06:38 PM
Ok, I can see using Canuba wax.

I am going to try a product called Slipit on my shaft. It is what I use in my woodworking. I is mainly used for drawers when there is wood on wood.

It is so slick the drawers bounce back when pushed in when empty.

I will let you know how it works. Slipit is a non greasy, non silcone product. It comes as a paste made just for wood.

Griff

TonyM
08-17-2002, 08:22 PM
"Suggest you test any solvent you're considering on a throwaway shaft. You may find that your solvent "raises the grain" of the wood--makes the wood's grain stand out, makes the shaft feel rough."

I don't think that this is really a problem. The solvents that do not contain any water will not raise the grain.

And even if they do? So what? He wants to remove the nicks from the shaft with water anyway!

"Been there, done that: two decent shafts in the toilet (denatured alcohol)."

Why are they in the toilet? I use old dutch and warm water to clean really dirty shafts. It really raises the grain. But then I let the wood dry thoroughly, and sand it back smooth! Only takes a few minutes with some fine sandpaper!

You shafts are fine, they just need a little tlc!

Tony

Rod
08-17-2002, 09:25 PM
Tony, I questioned that post but just decided not to say anything till now. All I have used for the past 15 years or more is denatured alcohol. I'd think it would really have to be wet to raise any grain. Just as you mentioned, taking the dings out with water will raise the grain anyway. I've even used laquer thinner on shafts and I know that will remove any wax. I have a wax remover made by Ditzler, problem is, it is sold by the gallon. A little much for occasional use.

08-17-2002, 09:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: griffith_d:</font><hr> I have never heard of using car wax on a cue,..would that not mess up the shaft?

Griff <hr></blockquote>

i think you mentioned being over to annies to get a tip put on. had you asked her to clean the shaft, you would have seen her put carnuba(sp?) wax on as the last step. right after using dishsoap and bleach to really raise the grain.

dan

Chris Cass
08-17-2002, 10:13 PM
Q-Clean, extemely hot water on a white cloth and squeezed to damp. Wipe briskly and dry with soft rag. This should take off the wax and bring out small dings. May need 1000 grit to resurface wood then seal with Shaft Silk by K.C. Inovations. Burnish and when dirty, wipe with damp towel and burnish. JMHO

C.C.~~no lectures..been there done that and survived....

PoolFool
08-17-2002, 10:51 PM
I use Fromby's Build Up Remover to remove wax and clean the shaft. It is made for fine wood and does a good job. You can buy it at any good hardware store.

PoolFool