PDA

View Full Version : Rutgers U. Stepping up to maintina Thug Nation

Deeman3
01-28-2010, 03:05 PM
<span style="color: #FF0000">Surprise, surprise!!! </span>

A Rutgers University sorority was shut down and six members arrested for brutally hazing young pledges, including one who had to be hospitalized, cops said.

The sisters of Sigma Gamma Rho were accused yesterday of paddling pledges on the buttocks so severely they were not able to sit, police officers at the New Jersey university said. Among the six sorority sisters arrested was Llana Warner, 20, of the Bronx, who was charged with felony aggravated hazing.

"They told us there was no hazing, that they didn't believe in it," one of the battered pledges told the Newark Star Ledger.

Once she and the other pledges were surrounded by the sadistic sisters from the New Brunswick campus, they were forced to submit to beatings with wooden paddles over an eight-day period.

The pledge said she was struck more than 200 times, leaving her buttocks covered with blood clots and welts. In too much pain to sit, the student's mother took her to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, where officials alerted the campus officials and police. University officials immediately suspended the sorority.

Also arrested were Vanessa Adegbite, 21, of Jersey City; Joana Bernard, 21, of West Orange, N.J.; Kesha Cheron, 20, of Newark; Shawna Ebanks, 21, of East Orange, and Marie Charles, 21, of West Orange.

The pledges were told the purpose of the beatings was to humble them and build trust between them and their sorority sisters.

Sigma Gamma Rho, an African-American sorority founded in 1922, does not have an official Rutgers sorority house. The hazing occurred at a student apartment building and off campus, cops said.

Gayle in MD
01-29-2010, 05:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sigma Gamma Rho, an African-American sorority founded in 1922, does not have an official Rutgers sorority house. The hazing occurred at a student apartment building and off campus, cops said. </div></div>

Interesting, with all the news stories about this sort of thing over the years, I've never seen you post about it before.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Deeman3
01-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Respectfully, I am not aware of many instances of young ladies at University accused of this type of hazing. Yes, it has been a common item for young men to participate but certainly not young ladies which is probably what propelled it to a national story.

Perhaps this is a carryover from the enhanced participation of girls in gang culture beatings of, maybe, just the gals catching up with the guys. To their credit, the women of the WNBA are not as likely, apparently, to use firearms in their night club visits, in the locker room or even when beating their live-in partners. As a woman, this may bother you. However, given some Title IX equalization time, it will probably come about eventually. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Now, in this post racial period, I had not even noticed they may be a minority, like Chris Mathews, but I can see int he part you highlighted, you have.

In my defense, if this had been a set of gals who matched the young lady in Legally Blond, I might have made an even bigger case of it, given the even higher profile that case would have had in the media.

We, of course, in my day, endured this type of hazing and later distributed some of the sophmoric revenge when it was our turn as football players and athletes. It was, of course, stupid then as it is now. Now, the law and lawyers get involved as, apparently, Egos are now forever twisted in these type of encounters and justice must be metted out and settlements reached.

I would hope, if this had been a group of midgets (Little Women, not Alcot's mind you) I probably would have brought it to light as well. Maybe not. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
01-29-2010, 09:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Respectfully, I am not aware of many instances of young ladies at University accused of this type of hazing.

<span style="color: #000066">Not many, is accurate, but this also isn't the first. </span>

Yes, it has been a common item for young men to participate but certainly not young ladies which is probably what propelled it to a national story.

Perhaps this is a carryover from the enhanced participation of girls in gang culture beatings of, maybe, just the gals catching up with the guys. To their credit, the women of the WNBA are not as likely, apparently, to use firearms in their night club visits, in the locker room or even when beating their live-in partners. As a woman, this may bother you.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif<span style="color: #000066">Pretty cheap shot, don't you think, considering that I am always anti violence. </span>

However, given some Title IX equalization time, it will probably come about eventually. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Now, in this post racial period, I had not even noticed they may be a minority, like Chris Mathews, but I can see int he part you highlighted, you have.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif <span style="color: #000066">Oh yes, you're posts prove you to be far more concerned with the rights and needs of the poor, the racially oppressed, and the disenfranchised, than I... </span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

In my defense, if this had been a set of gals who matched the young lady in Legally Blond, I might have made an even bigger case of it, given the even higher profile that case would have had in the media.

<span style="color: #000066">Are you trying with that statement to rival Imus? </span>

We, of course, in my day, endured this type of hazing and later distributed some of the sophmoric revenge when it was our turn as football players and athletes. It was, of course, stupid then as it is now. Now, the law and lawyers get involved as, apparently, Egos are now forever twisted in these type of encounters and justice must be metted out and settlements reached.

I would hope, if this had been a group of midgets (Little Women, not Alcot's mind you) I probably would have brought it to light as well. Maybe not. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">I'd say maybe not.

G. </span>

Deeman3
01-29-2010, 09:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif <span style="color: #000066">Oh yes, you're posts prove you to be far more concerned with the rights and needs of the poor, the racially oppressed, and the disenfranchised, than I... </span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

G. [/color</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Gayle,

While on your tireless journey for equality, I just bet that I have offered more opportunity to young minorities, mentored as many or more in Youth Organizations such as the Boy's Club and Big Brothers than you. I can almost bet I have hired, promoted and changed the lives of as many of more in taking marginal candidates and challenging them through work, assignments and counciling through some pretty tough times. I did not pander to their weaknesses nor allow them to be less than required for succes in my organizations.

I would even bet that I could provide you with the names and telephone numbers of even a couple I have fired and allow you to ask them how racist I am.

Secondary to my normal job of making companies successful I find the development of young people the most rewarding thing a man can accomplish. By viture of where I have spend a good deal of my life, most of those have been those you feel sorry for or feel the need to pretend a higher level of compassion for. Any comment on behaviour of any group, aside from a right wing person, is considered racist by you.

I know, I know, while you are on you way to visit wounded soldiers each day, you pass out packages to those on the street who you feel I dislike. You keep passing out bread and I'll keep gving them good jobs and pride in their own accomplishments.

Your assumptions are wrong but, as usual, you want to be on the correct side of an argument when it is only generated by you to look compassionate and understanding. You don't own that boat and everyone does not need your "protection" on every citing of bad behaviour. I blasted the Republican Governor for his bad actions and never once did you call me out for being unfair to him. If I say somethng about any group or even about John Edwards or Barney Frank, I am being against lefties or gays when just maybe, I am against infidelity and one gay in particular.

Chase another dog for a while. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </span>

Gayle in MD
01-29-2010, 10:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif <span style="color: #000066">Oh yes, you're posts prove you to be far more concerned with the rights and needs of the poor, the racially oppressed, and the disenfranchised, than I... </span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

G. [/color</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Gayle,

While on your tireless journey for equality, I just bet that I have offered more opportunity to young minorities, mentored as many or more in Youth Organizations such as the Boy's Club and Big Brothers than you.
<span style="color: #000066">Why would you make such an assumption? </span>
I can almost bet I have hired, promoted and changed the lives of as many of more in taking marginal candidates and challenging them through work, assignments and counciling through some pretty tough times. I did not pander to their weaknesses nor allow them to be less than required for succes in my organizations.

<span style="color: #000066">Equal rights, food for the hungry, Medical care for those without it, the Community Rrinvestment Act, insuring equality for those non whites, seeking a mortgage, who were discriminated against when applying for a mortgage, none of these efforts, and/or programs, amount to pandering, IMO, but don't expect to present yourself as a man who doesn't believe in a helping hand for a certain segment of our society, and then get pissed off when someone else notices your M.O. on these subjects.</span>

I would even bet that I could provide you with the names and telephone numbers of even a couple I have fired and allow you to ask them how racist I am.

Secondary to my normal job of making companies successful I find the development of young people the most rewarding thing a man can accomplish. By viture of where I have spend a good deal of my life, most of those have been those you feel sorry for or feel the need to pretend a higher level of compassion for.

<span style="color: #000066">"Pretend" ??? Another cheap shot. </span>

Any comment on behaviour of any group, aside from a right wing person, is considered racist by you.

<span style="color: #000066">I don't think that is true. I think I have enough intelligence to recognize racist, sexist statements when I read them.</span>

I know, I know, while you are on you way to visit wounded soldiers each day, you pass out packages to those on the street who you feel I dislike. You keep passing out bread and I'll keep gving them good jobs and pride in their own accomplishments.

<span style="color: #000066">I never revealed my work with the USO, someone else did that, I believe. My mother taught me that if you do something to help someone, and then brag about it, that cancels out the whole contribution. If I have ever spoken about our troops, it has been out of anger over how they have been treated. </span>

Your assumptions are wrong but, as usual, you want to be on the correct side of an argument when it is only generated by you to look compassionate and understanding.

<span style="color: #000066">Oh my, you can read my mind from a distance? Quite a trick. I couldn't care less what you "think" about me or my character, but I can assure you, whatever I do for others, isn't written about by me on this website, or anywhere else. I don't have to "Pretend" to be anything at all, YOU seem to have to "Pretend" to know my deepest thoughts, and also to degrade my intentions....I write what I write from my heart, Deeman.... </span>

You don't own that boat and everyone does not need your "protection" on every citing of bad behaviour.

<span style="color: #000066">You don't write here about what you think is bad behavior, and consistantly bad behavior by the left? But in your case, it's genuine, I suppose, all out of your vast altruism, and your undying desire to defend other, which, of course in your case, is completely genuine. </span>

I blasted the Republican Governor for his bad actions and never once did you call me out for being unfair to him.
<span style="color: #000066">Why would I call you out for something that WAS bad behavior???? </span>

If I say somethng about any group or even about John Edwards or Barney Frank, I am being against lefties or gays when just maybe, I am against infidelity and one gay in particular.

<span style="color: #000066">Now that is a real joke, Deeman. The things you've written on here about Barney Frank, were filled with anti-gay slurs and attitudes.

Had you limited your statements about Barney Frank, to disapproval of his public life, without all the gay bashing, I would never object. You can't expect to fill your posts with sarcastic homophobic, misogynistic statements, and then expect others to assume, "Oh, that's just Deeman, throring out a hook to try to irritate Gayle," But you wouldn't ever do such a thing, I'm sure.</span>

Chase another dog for a while. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </span> </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">I asked you a simple question....didn't expect a tirade in return.

I asked the question because I have read about this a number of times, on other campuses, both boys and girls, but I've never seen one post from you on the subject....but probably wouldn't have asked you in the first place, if I hadn't read so many statements written by you over the years which amounted to gay bashing, and sexism.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will hazard a guess that clown is caught within the year, wearing a pink tu tu attending a Barney Frank Party. </div></div>

Actually, Most of what I've heard about you, Deeman, has been good, and I rather like you...although seldom agree with your POV.

Sorry to have set you off....
G. </span>

Deeman3
01-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Gayle,

I hope "I judge everyone by the content of his character, rather than the color of his skin." A guy who was shot not two blocks from me in 1968 was fond of saying this and was right. At that time, I might classify myself as a racist (surprise). Since that tender age, I have grown and now hold that to be one of my dearest beliefs.

I try, for the most part, to judge actions, not color or faith or other thngs that are not germain to the issue. I actualy believe gangs of white youths shooting up the streets and selling drugs is a bad as blacks or hispanics doing so, but it is just not as prevalent. I also believe that not allowing persons of color to purchase property they can afford is criminal. I also believe that allowing anyone, of any color, to buy property they have no way of paying for is just as bad.

If I see you in line at an airport and I see a Muslim young man with no baggage, I will profile him and not you. That makes me different from you, not a racist.

I believe racism still does exist on both sides of the equation but pretending that all make the same use of opportunity is blindness that will long prevent minorities from taking their rightful place in the world. This does not cost me, aside from some wasted time and resources, but costs every single minority that really wants to move on and become a successful member of society.

I do not blame you for setting me off. I was just needing an argument this morning and it is better to get you riled than my sweet wife. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I can't switch her off like I can the computer.

Love and kisses, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
01-29-2010, 11:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle,

I hope "I judge everyone by the content of his character, rather than the color of his skin." A guy who was shot not two blocks from me in 1968 was fond of saying this and was right. At that time, I might classify myself as a racist (surprise). Since that tender age, I have grown and now hold that to be one of my dearest beliefs.

I try, for the most part, to judge actions, not color or faith or other thngs that are not germain to the issue. I actualy believe gangs of white youths shooting up the streets and selling drugs is a bad as blacks or hispanics doing so, but it is just not as prevalent. I also believe that not allowing persons of color to purchase property they can afford is criminal. I also believe that allowing anyone, of any color, to buy property they have no way of paying for is just as bad.

If I see you in line at an airport and I see a Muslim young man with no baggage, I will profile him and not you. That makes me different from you, not a racist.

I believe racism still does exist on both sides of the equation but pretending that all make the same use of opportunity is blindness that will long prevent minorities from taking their rightful place in the world. This does not cost me, aside from some wasted time and resources, but costs every single minority that really wants to move on and become a successful member of society.

I do not blame you for setting me off. I was just needing an argument this morning and it is better to get you riled than my sweet wife. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I can't switch her off like I can the computer.

Love and kisses, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

</div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">Not a problem, Dee, and BTW, I, too, would profile the Muslim with no luggage. In fact, funny story...when I flew to NY for Fran's workshop, my sister and daughter and I decided to make a girls only trip out of it, for a few days.

My daughter hates to fly, but since 9/11, getting either of us to fly is a hard bargain to strike, she, more than I, as she has a small daughter to think about.

While we were in the secure area, waiting to board, we noticed a muslim man, looking straight ahead, seemingly very uncomfortable, and acting rather strangely, almost trance-like.

After boarding, as she was on the isle, a few rows in front of me, I noticed that not only was the man right next to her, but held his head down, Muslim style, praying non stop.

Then, I noticed that she had tears running down the side of her cheek. I guess, seeing those tears really un-nerved me, as I could not hear what he might be saying, and didn't have a bird's eye view of him at that point, but, as we all know, the terrorists were praying as they flew that fateful day.

Thankfully, the trip to NY is only about thrity minutes, and as we disembarked, he turned to her and said, "What a relief! I am terrofied of flying!"</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Deeman3
01-29-2010, 01:22 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Good story.

I'm sure we are more alike than either of us ever might guess.

Chopstick
01-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Idiots. If they want to learn how to spank a young college girl correctly, they should come over to my place. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I'm taking lessons from a professional. No kidding. I asked the head of the Anti Babes to teach me how and she said OK.

Deeman3
01-29-2010, 02:40 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif