PDA

View Full Version : MD. Corporation To Run For Congress AS Individual

Gayle in MD
01-29-2010, 03:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Until now...corporate interests had to rely on campaign contributions and influence peddling to achieve their goals in Washington. But thanks to an enlightened Supreme Court, now we can eliminate the middle-man and run for office ourselves."
Murray Hill Inc. is believed to be the first "corporate person" to exercise its constitutional right to run for office. As Supreme Court observer Lyle Denniston wrote on SCOTUSblog, "If anything, the decision in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission conferred new dignity on corporate "persons," treating them -- under the First Amendment free-speech clause -- as the equal of human beings."

Murray Hill agrees. "The strength of America," according to the firm's release, "is in the boardrooms, country clubs and Lear jets of America's great corporations. We're saying to Wal-Mart, AIG and Pfizer, if not you, who? If not now, when?"

</div></div>

http://www.murrayhillweb.com/pr-012510.html

LWW
01-29-2010, 07:02 AM
It's amazing that people still confuse satire and parody with reality.

The decision by the SCOTUS in no way, shape, or form allows a corporation to run for congress.

As a just crazy idea, perhaps you might look at the constitution for guidance:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Section 2.

The House of Representatives shall be composed of members chosen every second year by the people of the several states, and the electors in each state shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the state legislature.

No person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the age of twenty five years, and been seven years a citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an inhabitant of that state in which he shall be chosen.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the age of thirty years, and been nine years a citizen of the United States and who shall not, when elected, be an inhabitant of that state for which he shall be chosen.</div></div>

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>OH NO, NOT THE FACTS!!!! (http://topics.law.cornell.edu/constitution)</span>

LWW

pooltchr
01-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Just consider the fact that it is a MD corporation, and you can understand that they might believe the constitution doesn't apply to them, that they are far superior to the rest of the country, and they are actually ignorant of the facts found in the constitution. We have seen an overabundence of this kind of twisted thinking from that part of the country.

Steve

LWW
01-29-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm guessing that I could name at least one of it's employees.

LWW

Bobbyrx
01-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Gayle, you might want to sit down, but I think you are right on this one. To me it's simple, a corporation is not a citizen. Period. The rights of a citizen of this country shouldn't be given to a corporation.

Gayle in MD
01-29-2010, 01:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bobbyrx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle, you might want to sit down, but I think you are right on this one. To me it's simple, a corporation is not a citizen. Period. The rights of a citizen of this country shouldn't be given to a corporation. </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">No one could have said it better, my friend...Wow, what is happening lately between us!???
G.</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif