PDA

View Full Version : Best Salinger Quotes

Gayle in MD
01-29-2010, 04:32 AM
In honor of J.D. Salinger, who died yesterday at 91.

You may want to share these Salinger quotes with loved ones as a tribute to the author, best known for "Catcher in the Rye":

"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."

"Grand. There's a word I really hate. It's a phoney. I could puke every time I hear it"

"I hope to hell that when I do die somebody has the sense to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetary. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody."

"If a girl looks swell when she meets you, who gives a damn if she's late? Nobody."

"I'm sick of just liking people. I wish to God I could meet somebody I could respect."

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life."

"It's funny. All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to." <span style="color: #000066">Now there's one for the Wall Street mess. </span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

"It was a very stupid thing to do, I'll admit, but I hardly didn't even know I was doing it."

"That's the whole trouble. You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "F*** you" right under your nose."

"You take somebody that cries their goddam eyes out over phoney stuff in the movies, and nine times out of ten they're mean bastards at heart."

"It's funny. All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to."

"It was a very stupid thing to do, I'll admit, but I hardly didn't even know I was doing it."

"That's the whole trouble. You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "F*** you" right under your nose."

"You take somebody that cries their goddam eyes out over phoney stuff in the movies, and nine times out of ten they're mean bastards at heart."

Great Link (for lots of authors) Here:

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/J._D._Salinger/

Anyone here with a favorite Salinger Quote, or a good story about when you read Catcher?

en :)joy...

wolfdancer
01-29-2010, 01:23 PM
thanks for the link!!

Qtec
01-29-2010, 01:53 PM
I always thought this was funny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was the goddam manager of the fencing team. Very big deal. We'd gone in to New York that morning for this fencing meet with McBurney School. Only we didn't have the meet. <u>I left all the foils and equipment and stuff on the goddam subway. It wasn't my fault.</u> I had to keep getting up to look at this map, so we'd know where to get off. So we got back to Pencey around two-thirty instead of around dinnertime. The whole team ostracized me the whole way back on the train. It was pretty funny, in a way.
</div></div>

Reminds me of myself .

Q LOL

Gayle in MD
01-29-2010, 01:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always thought this was funny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was the goddam manager of the fencing team. Very big deal. We'd gone in to New York that morning for this fencing meet with McBurney School. Only we didn't have the meet. <u>I left all the foils and equipment and stuff on the goddam subway. It wasn't my fault.</u> I had to keep getting up to look at this map, so we'd know where to get off. So we got back to Pencey around two-thirty instead of around dinnertime. The whole team ostracized me the whole way back on the train. It was pretty funny, in a way.
</div></div>

Reminds me of myself .

Q LOL </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Me too! I think that's why he was so great, he reminds us all of ourselves.

The man was really ahead of his times. Probably one of the most copied in history.

G.

Deeman3
01-29-2010, 04:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always thought this was funny.

</div></div>

Reminds me of myself .

Q LOL </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Funny about 40 year after I read those lines, I still remember them. I guess that is a testament to his work in itself.

Too bad he felt hounded the rest of his life. NPR had the only guy to ever really walk into his home and visit him and it is sad he never really enjoyed his success. Bought that house, had his groceris delivered and left the money on his doorstep. A sad way to have to live, or maybe not for him. </span>