PDA

View Full Version : Advice for an aspiring player.

02-26-2002, 09:38 PM
Compared to most people I'm very young at the game, just under two years playing, but am trying to study to it hard. I watch the pros on tv and have read several pool books. I try to practice regularly and play in as many tournaments I can, although school sometimes gets in the way. Any advice for an aspiring player.

02-26-2002, 10:14 PM
Hi Mr. Secant,
Advice? Yes, get your education and make that your #1 priority. The game will still be here after you graduate.
Pool is addicting and has a way of altering one's priorities (I am guilty of this). I am not saying that you should not play. Just try not to sacrifice Biology 101 for Physics in Billiards 101 /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
A good instructional tape I would recommend is Bert Kinister's "60 Minute Workout for 9-ball & 8-ball".
Best of luck,

Tom_In_Cincy
02-27-2002, 06:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MrSecant:</font><hr> I try to practice regularly and play in as many tournaments I can, although school sometimes gets in the way. Any advice for an aspiring player. <hr></blockquote>
I would suggest rewarding yourself with pool time after you make good grades.
School should never get in the way, school should make the 'way' easier. Learn how to learn, and when you do get the time to "learn how to play" it will be much easier, because you have conquered School, now you can conquer Pool.
Priorities. School First, then Pool

BillPorter
02-28-2002, 03:22 PM
Tom,

If you had given Efren, Earl, and Buddy that advice, we'd be minus three great players today....

Ok, Ok, I'll admit that your advice to the aspiring player was sound. I'm just suggesting that world champions put pool first at some point in their lives.

02-28-2002, 03:56 PM
I always put school first, thats what I pay the big bucks to the bursars office for. I was just wondering what kind of things can I do to get good.

heater451
02-28-2002, 05:12 PM
If you ever have an opponent pull off some wicked shot, or if you're just watching some game, and see something interesting, don't be afraid to ask someone, "How'd you do that?". Most shooters are happy to share their knowledge with you.

Also, when you're practicing, try to focus on 'one thing at a time'--stroke, aim, speed control, etc. (that's probably not too bad of an order to use, as well. . .) Develop correct habits now, so you don't have to overcome bad ones later.

Another thing that will aid in practice, at least to keep the boredom down, is learning to play against yourself with your opposite hand.

Don't worry about having "the best" equipment right now.

Never take a shot for granted, try to [i]know what's going to happen, when you release the cueball.

Always pay attention to "what went wrong" when you miss, and work on correcting that in subsequent shots.

If you're playing ball-in-hand rules (or even if you're not), if you immediately think, "I've got no shot", see if you've got a defensive shot. It is also important to think about safeties, if one has just been played on you.

A very importants thing, which I could have placed at the top of this list, would be: Figure out what you want to do with your game. Do you want to play for fun? Do you want to be 'competive', and play for cash (betting) or in tournaments?

Of course, the easiest bit of advice I can give is simply to play as much as you (resonably)can. Don't give up school, or "quit the day job".

Tom_In_Cincy
02-28-2002, 05:48 PM
Nick Varner didn't take up the game until he was in his latter years of college. He did pretty good, wouldn't you agree.. Steve Mizerk, also did well by going to college, he taught school prior to taking up Pool as a profession.

BillPorter
02-28-2002, 06:45 PM
Tom,

And then there's ME. I have a Ph.D. and usually can't run four balls. If I had just quit school and focused on pool, I would now be able to run six balls...but I might be homeless and broke. BTW, Nick's old college friend, Dick Lane, is also educated, bright, and at his best was among the top straight pool players in the country. Billy Stroud has some college as well.